There are 245 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for DelCed2486.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
You're comparing Steve Young to Alex Smith. Not even worth responding to IMO.

I am saying that one QB pretty well sucked or was underwhelming in his early years, yet later became good. Did people think Steve still sucked in the 90's just because he sucked in the 80's?

... but all your mind sees is "OMGzz comparison between Steve and Alex!!! OMGzzz..."

c'mon now.

Did you actually watch Steve Young in the 80s? He had one full year as starter (1986) in TB before he came to SF, and while he wasn't awesome that one year, he wasn't terrible, and considering he was on a horrible team, he put up decent enough numbers to the point he intrigued one Bill Walsh. And he didn't "suck in the 80s" with the 49ers...look at what he did coming off the bench in 1987, his first year with the Niners. He nearly unseated Montana as the starter in 1988, and arguably saved Montana/Walsh with his run vs. the Vikings, as they may have missed the playoffs without that win. Anyone who says Young sucked in the 80s, especially as it pertains to 87-89 with the 49ers, doesn't know jack.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Aug 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Did you actually watch Steve Young in the 80s? He had one full year as starter (1986) in TB before he came to SF, and while he wasn't awesome that one year, he wasn't terrible, and considering he was on a horrible team, he put up decent enough numbers to the point he intrigued one Bill Walsh. And he didn't "suck in the 80s" with the 49ers...look at what he did coming off the bench in 1987, his first year with the Niners. He nearly unseated Montana as the starter in 1988, and arguably saved Montana/Walsh with his run vs. the Vikings, as they may have missed the playoffs without that win. Anyone who says Young sucked in the 80s, especially as it pertains to 87-89 with the 49ers, doesn't know jack.

I did watch every 49ers game with Young, and have no problem saying that his early years for SF is a bit of a blur. At any rate, I'm fine with tossing out particular names here. The point was never about particular names. The point, which I have stated many times and believe in.. is that where a player was (performance level) many years ago is of little importance to me. I judge a player on his current level of play... on trends. Smith's trend in the last 30+ games tells me that he is a good QB. The best? No. Elite? No. How to place in a rigid QB ranking? Eh, that gets pretty tough.. as there are a lot of good QBs behind the elites.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Hope his receivers learn to catch.

He didn't have a good enough angle to make the throw while hitting the receiver in stride, so he did the right/smart thing and threw the ball away instead of throwing a pic and/or getting himself and the receiver blew up. Sometimes you have to live to fight another day instead of always trying to put a cape on like Romo.

He doesnt even give his guys a chance. Typical Alex.

typical alex 19-5-1 past 2 years...maybe you would prefer typical mark sanchez...by the way why didnt you post the deep pass to baldwin where ashomoghua and baldwin feet tangled...that might have been a score but for the entaglement but i guess that didnt fit the agenda....i mean if that had been a niners going down on the route i dont think niners fans blame the qb

I guess the 6 years before that dont count

You do mean 4, right? Or do you count IR as part of his play time?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

I did watch every 49ers game with Young, and have no problem saying that his early years for SF is a bit of a blur. At any rate, I'm fine with tossing out particular names here. The point was never about particular names. The point, which I have stated many times and believe in.. is that where a player was (performance level) many years ago is of little importance to me. I judge a player on his current level of play... on trends. Smith's trend in the last 30+ games tells me that he is a good QB. The best? No. Elite? No. How to place in a rigid QB ranking? Eh, that gets pretty tough.. as there are a lot of good QBs behind the elites.

I think Smith is a decent QB who was helped tremendously by Harbaugh, the offensive scheme ("manage the game"), a great OL/running game, and an excellent defense. I just don't see him as anything great...and granted preseason, but so far with KC he seems like the same Alex Smith, content to take the sack or in certain situations put one up and let the WR make a play. Who knows, I could be wrong and he'll be lights out 30/10 TD/Int with KC.

My main point of contention, though, was re: Young.

White males
College in the state of Utah
Set school records
Played QB for the niners
Both known to be very intelligent
Concussions
Both drive cars
Both have business interests

So many other comparisons...boggles the mind!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

White males
Set school records
Played QB for the niners
Concussions
Both drive cars

One is a HOF Superbowl winning QB with multiple league MVPs.

The other is not even close.

/comparison

White males
Set school records
Played QB for the niners
Concussions
Both drive cars

/comparison

Good, you found a difference! Yeah!

He doesnt even give his guys a chance. Typical Alex.

such a horrible throw, i was scratching my head wondering what was he doing

White males
Set school records
Played QB for the niners
Concussions
Both drive cars

/comparison

Too bad fellow poster Mcnugget didnt

In the many years I've read these threads I'm yet to read a post comparing Smith to Young favorably. Yet you don't want any comparison at all...seems a lack of tolerance and a need to demean. Could be wrong but that's what it appears to be.

White males
Set school records
Played QB for the niners
Concussions
Both drive cars

/comparison

It's the shallow Hal syndrome
Alex Smith doesn't wear magic underpants.

But, I think the original idea is simply to point out, as I did in an earlier post, that quite a few Hall of Fame QB's had big problems and bad production early in their careers. Is Alex Smith going to the Hall? I don't think so, but he's gotten a lot better and it's a safe bet that his last 6 years in the league will be a lot more productive than his first six years if he goes for a good 12 years.

I felt I kind of did. I mean, Steve Young was pretty miserable in Tampa Bay, but he turned out to be pretty good after solid coaching and an upgraded team around him. Alex was miserable his first year.. decent but unspectacular his 2nd year.. then injured the next 2.. then after being done playing with lousy HCs, looked pretty good under quality coaching and an upgraded team. Young's career is done... Alex still has years left to continue to trend upward. Will he? or is this the best he can be? Hell, I don't know.. nobody really does.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Alex Smith doesn't wear magic underpants.

But, I think the original idea is simply to point out, as I did in an earlier post, that quite a few Hall of Fame QB's had big problems and bad production early in their careers. Is Alex Smith going to the Hall? I don't think so, but he's gotten a lot better and it's a safe bet that his last 6 years in the league will be a lot more productive than his first six years if he goes for a good 12 years.

I disagree actually. I think we're going to find out that Harbaugh did a LOT more for Smith than anyone could have imagined. I know it's only preseason and we shouldnt take things out of context, but it seems to me (as well as many Chiefs fans' if you ask their opinion(s)) that Alex hasnt really shaken off any of his aforementioned tendencies. He looked pretty miserable against our 2nd (sometimes 3rd) unit defense; you'd expect a lot more from an 8 year veteran.

Personally, I dont care how Alex fares. The only reason I at his supporters is that after his performance the other day, the ugly Alexcuse monster reared its head. Nothing personal against any of you guys though. I know a lot of people wish him well. It's just entertaining to see posters come to his defense with the same excuses they had when he played for us. The difference being, of course, that Harbaugh was a genius in masking those weaknesses, whereas Reid actually relies on a bonified playmaker for team success. That'll be the difference in terms of Alex's continued success (or lack thereof).

But it should be an entertaining thread this upcoming season
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by captveg:
I seem to recall 49er fans being rather pissed at New Orleans in a pre-season game in a previous year for blitzing a lot and abusing our QBs. SF simply just did the same thing to KC. Game planning makes a huge difference, ESPECIALLY against blitz packages. Reading a lot into this game is silliness, either way.

First off, they didn't start blitzing right out of the gate like the Saints did. Secondly, almost every blitz was with a db which was putting pressure on the rest of the defensive backfield. Fangio explained what he was doing. He didn't start calling them until a little after the beginning of the game and he had a reason. He wanted to see his 3rd through 6th corners trying to stay with receivers one-on-one in a blitzing situation where one DB is taken out of the coverage.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying the 49ers did anything wrong, as they had reason to work on blitz packages. I'm simply saying that the Chiefs didn't game plan to counteract any blitz packages, regardless of the type, because they are game planning for Week 1, not Pre-season Week 2.
Share 49ersWebzone