There are 252 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
New Smith? As opposed to the one who led the NFL for half a season last year?

I'm supportive in case you couldn't tell.

Smith showed nothing last preseason, except for one Vernon Davis strike against denver. He looked better tonight than last preseason I thought.

People forget Smith was a downfield passer not that many years ago.

He's still is. Along the way since the days of Nolan and Singletary, he just learned that dink and dunk is another way to get to the endzone too. Not a lot of people remember it, but Garcia did a lot of that when he was here. And that was very effective. T.O made Garcia look better by running after the catch.
Uh no he's not. This not a knock on him but he's obviously lost some zip in his passes since his surgeries. He has compensated for his decreased arm strength by focusing on short to intermediate passes. He can hit the long passes but he has to put his whole body into the throw which takes more time and space.

lol This was just last year. If it's there and not too risky, he'll try for a deep throw. His arm strength may not be as good pre-injury, but it's still good enough to go deep. Throws it at the 50, Williams caught it at the 15. That's 35 yds, to the outside, back shoulder.

LINK

He has NFL qb class arm. But not Kaep class.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 10, 2013 at 5:23 AM ]
"Once again Chiefs talent evaluators show they know more about D&D than football. Nice call Geno ballwashers. Alex Smith = legit. Geno = bust."

"stfu, turd-whacker. And no one loves you or Trent ****ing Green. Or Dickie-doo Vermeil for that matter." lol

"Pay no attention to Simplicity. He fists himself to old Neil Sedaka records nightly."

Any thread with Alex Smith on a Chiefs board quickly turns sour just like here. Tis a curse.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
"Once again Chiefs talent evaluators show they know more about D&D than football. Nice call Geno ballwashers. Alex Smith = legit. Geno = bust."

"stfu, turd-whacker. And no one loves you or Trent ****ing Green. Or Dickie-doo Vermeil for that matter." lol

"Pay no attention to Simplicity. He fists himself to old Neil Sedaka records nightly."

Any thread with Alex Smith on a Chiefs board quickly turns sour just like here. Tis a curse.

i lol'd
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Sorry to be a downer but preseason means nothing. Let's wait till the reg season before we anoint Alex.

You know actually I agree. I was saying the same thing about our team with Kaep, but as you know, at times know one wants to hear that.
Sorry to be a downer but preseason means nothing. Let's wait till the reg season before we anoint Alex.

You a downer on Alex Smith? NO WAY!

Smith showed nothing last preseason, except for one Vernon Davis strike against denver. He looked better tonight than last preseason I thought.

He's still is. Along the way since the days of Nolan and Singletary, he just learned that dink and dunk is another way to get to the endzone too. Not a lot of people remember it, but Garcia did a lot of that when he was here. And that was very effective. T.O made Garcia look better by running after the catch.
Uh no he's not. This not a knock on him but he's obviously lost some zip in his passes since his surgeries. He has compensated for his decreased arm strength by focusing on short to intermediate passes. He can hit the long passes but he has to put his whole body into the throw which takes more time and space.

lol This was just last year. If it's there and not too risky, he'll try for a deep throw. His arm strength may not be as good pre-injury, but it's still good enough to go deep. Throws it at the 50, Williams caught it at the 15. That's 35 yds, to the outside, back shoulder.

LINK

He has NFL qb class arm. But not Kaep class.

And this throw is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He has to put his whole body into the throw and look at how much space he needs. Not saying he has a weak arm.
The windup isn't the biggest knock really.

It's the lack of desire/confidence/whatever to do this more often.

I believe that has changed but doubt we will see that in August.
And this throw is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He has to put his whole body into the throw and look at how much space he needs. Not saying he has a weak arm.

I know what you're saying. And I partly agree with you. That looks more like an NFL qb stepping into his throws for Smith. Look at Shaun Hill throwing a long pass and that's a classic and perfect example of having to use his whole body just to get it there.

Every NFL qb is taught very early on to shift their weight into the throw for accuracy and velocity. The whole footwork is to get themselves into position to step into the throw. It's guys like Kaep that can throw a 87 mph fast ball first pitch on opening day-- that are freaks.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Get us that 2nd round pick Alex!!

This!

No problem, just wanted to point out that he had "arrived" under Harbaugh and will likely continue that under Reid. As a matter of fact, he may be better under Reid using a more traditional WCO. He is good at spreading the ball around with short to intermediate passes and then taking advantage of a few long passes to keep the D honest. His experience should help and still working with a world class RB helps.

As far as forgetting that Smith was a down field passer--I haven't. His play at Utah was very impressive, throwing deep while on the run was his forte.

LOL!

LOL
Didn't throw or run for any 50+ yarders... not impressed. They scored 7 without breaking a sweat, but not exciting... just a boring 80 yard drive in small chunks...

The O in KC is looking nearly as talented as the niners the last few years. I think there is reason to expect Smith to have similar numbers to 2011, which would keep their D and Peyton Manning off the field. If Smith can find a way to deal with unique blitz packages and stay off his back i think that team could go from worst to the post season easily.
1st Preseason Game - Smith looked smoother and more decisive than he ever did with the 49ers. The Andy Reed offense seems to suit him well. Smith may finally have the security blanket TE that suits his short pass tendency - Fasano fits for him. Still, only 1 pass to a receiver. I don't think a team can be successful through a whole season unless their receivers become key to the passing game.

Still, Smith looked good. I may even watch the Chiefs a bit this season now!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Didn't throw or run for any 50+ yarders... not impressed. They scored 7 without breaking a sweat, but not exciting... just a boring 80 yard drive in small chunks...

Typical WCO. Out of all the fan bases, I can't believe that some of you use it as a knock on Alex. Shame on you.

I was excited to see what the first team could do and even more excited now after seeing the possibilities! The dinking and dunking will open up the deep stuff and if it's not there it looks like Alex will always have a safety valve to go to that will gain positive yards. Die slow or get your head chopped off is how I see it! Sure it's preseason but I'm sure there are a lot of people especially Chiefs fans that had a lot of doubts about what we could accomplish with 1 off season with a new coaching staff and for what most thought a mediocre QB. This should at least silence some of the people that thought it would be hard for this team to build any kind of chemistry this quickly! Go Chiefs/Alex prove these SOBs you belong!
Share 49ersWebzone