LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Can we just dispense with all of this and cut right to it?

The people.. the same people that never thought Alex would be a 49er beyond 2007... 2008... 2009... 2010... the same people that believed he could never be a top 10 QB in passer rating or half as good as he is... for one or two years in a row...

these same people flat out don't like or respect Alex as a quarterback... for whatever reasons... because he's not a dynamic QB... because he's made them look foolish for the last however many years for being resilient... because they have grown to resent the fans of Alex.. whatever.. doesn't much matter. These same people will follow Alex around on the pretense of caring about which draft pick will belong to SF.

The obvious and clear reality is... Alex has burned them in some way or another... so even as Alex is no longer a part of the Niners... they will talk about him as often as they can in unrelated threads.. they will follow him to a Chiefs thread... likely follow him to a Chiefs forum.. and continue to dig at him and doubt him.. probably even after he retires from football... probably even after he's dead and buried. It is in the blood like a malingering toxin.

This is why anyone but Alex supporters are in this thread. If we can all just admit that much, then that really is the next step to purging the circulatory system.

edit: this may turn out to be a good quick source of TC and other KC info...

https://twitter.com/arrowheadpride

And what if Alex fails in KC, good sir ? Will you be the first in line (considering you've posted at least once or twice on almost every page of this thread) to admit that he is/was a mediocre quarterback, or should we be ready to hear (A) his coaches stink, (B) his receivers arent good enough, (C) he needs a running game, (D) oline sucks, (E) defense didnt come through OR we could go back to the classic throwbacks (F) he's only [blank] years old, (G) his hands are too small, (H) Nolan ruined his psyche when he played him with a bad shoulder, (I) shouldnt have started as a rookie just as Rodgers didnt, (J) field is in bad shape, (K) just needs time to adapt to the playbook, (L) playbook is too complicated - Reid needs to simplify it, (M) ball is too slippery in KC, (N) too windy for him to be accurate, (O) coaches are forcing him to be hesitant / conservative - not his fault.

I think Ive heard one or more of these from the so called "fanbase" during his tenure in San Francisco. Doesnt really matter to me whether he's great out there or a flop, but what I saw this past year was a 2nd year quarterback (who apparently lacked in practice) take our team to a Superbowl and almost win it, whilst going through teams like NE, NO, GB, and ATL. Clearly Kaep gave us an advantage in his 2nd year that Alex couldnt give us in his 8th.

Will be rooting for him, along with you

I will answer your question thusly: It depends. I remember when Jeff Garcia left here and went to the Browns. He looked like crap there. When he went to the Eagles as a back up he looked amazing when McNabb was injured...in fact, I think he looked better than McNabb.

Warner is another great example of a qb going to another team and looking like crap and then going to yet another and looking amazing again.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
KC Chiefs training camp 2013: A rainy day 4 practice report

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/29/4568130/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-2013-a-rainy-day-4-practice-report

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/29/4568130/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-2013-a-rainy-day-4-practice-report

Receivers were working against the defensive backs. Dwayne Bowe ran an out pattern near the sideline and Alex Smith laid it in the perfect spot to make the catch. It's the kind of throw that Aaron Rodgers is so good at.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Receivers were working against the defensive backs. Dwayne Bowe ran an out pattern near the sideline and Alex Smith laid it in the perfect spot to make the catch. It's the kind of throw that Aaron Rodgers is so good at.

crap translation: Oh noez!!!! Now folks are saying Alex iz Aaron!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Pretty interesting and well written article here on the KC DL... who I read was seeing time at NT in their TC so far....

The Mike DeVito breakdown: What did the KC Chiefs get in their new DE?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/28/4559942/mike-devito-kansas-city-chiefs-breakdown

PFF had Devito ranked 9th... better than our very own RayMac, fwiw.
Kansas City Chiefs Training Camp: Day 4 Notes

http://www.kcchiefsdraft.com/2013/07/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-day-4-notes/

Another day, another solid showing from Alex Smith. The presnap movements continue, with a lot of motion and hand movements by the QB. Smith didn't show many downfield looks/throws today. Mainly keeping with the short to intermediate passing game, but doing so very effectively. Quite a few impressive catches in the rain today, Travis Kelce with multiple grabs. Junior Hemingway continues to make a push to climb the depth chart. His route running has looked impressive and the practices I have attended, he hasn't dropped a ball. The OL had a few struggles today. Team scrimmage period, the QB had very little time to throw the ball. Alex Smith was running for his life, moving all around the pocket to create time. The defense was bringing the heat quite a bit in this period from many different angles and positions.
Maybe I'm just an Alex homer, but I'm seeing vibes of 2011 49ers 2.0 here.....

Realistic is 9-11 wins, possible is only 7 or 8.......but also possible are 12 or 13 wins. The Chiefs would benefit from teams just not taking them so seriously like us back then. I think their defense will show up in force, and Reid will make the offense work.

Alex despite shedding the absolute bust label is still not fully respected in the league, and coming off a 2-14 season is something we haven't deal with since 2004.

I also think that Reid can get more from a respectable QB than Harbaugh, and Harbaugh took the risk averseness to an extreme I think last year more than he did in 2011.

I absolutely believe that Alex has put his 49er career into perspective and knows what needs to be done to be even more successful in the past.

We wouldn't have believed it until we saw it. It could happen.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jul 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
Gotta check out the Chiefs' camp. Too much whining about AJ Jenkins in Niner Talk
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Realistic is 9-11 wins, possible is only 7 or 8.......but also possible are 12 or 13 wins. The Chiefs would benefit from teams just not taking them so seriously like us back then. I think their defense will show up in force, and Reid will make the offense work.

Alex despite shedding the absolute bust label is still not fully respected in the league, and coming off a 2-14 season is something we haven't deal with since 2004.

I also think that Reid can get more from a respectable QB than Harbaugh, and Harbaugh took the risk averseness to an extreme I think last year more than he did in 2011.

I absolutely believe that Alex has put his 49er career into perspective and knows what needs to be done to be even more successful in the past.

Note in SI this week about how the 2012 Chefs may have been the best crappy team in a while: turnovers were incredible harmful and a ratio unlikely to be repeated.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Note in SI this week about how the 2012 Chefs may have been the best crappy team in a while: turnovers were incredible harmful and a ratio unlikely to be repeated.

Yeah Cassel and Quinn
10-6 and they win AFC West
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

LMAOOOOO!!!!
Yeah, I really want to see Alex Smith succeed in KC because I like him a lot, but let's not get carried away. The idea that Reid can get more out of a QB than Jim Harbaugh is laughable. Harbaugh is a certified witch when it comes to QB's. Reid has mixed results.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yeah, I really want to see Alex Smith succeed in KC because I like him a lot, but let's not get carried away. The idea that Reid can get more out of a QB than Jim Harbaugh is laughable. Harbaugh is a certified witch when it comes to QB's. Reid has mixed results.

Harbaugh is a QB guru - best in the biz - but I don't think I would call a Reid comparison "laughable." A Nolan comparison, OTOH? Absolutely laughable. Comparisons with many other recent HCs? Also laughable.

I'm also trying to think of Reid's "mixed results." I'd argue that he got the most out of McNabb, revived Vick's career, and got Kolb to look better than he really was.

I think that Smith's time with Harbs plus additional input from Reid will allow him to have solid play.
Share 49ersWebzone