How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

• mayo49
  • Veteran
7 wins for the Chiefs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Alex Smith is what he is and right now he is Chief.

When he was 49er I supported him and wanted him to do well.

I want him to play well enough for the Chiefs to win eight games. That gets us a second round pick.

After they win eight games, I really do not care all that much about Alex Smith

I have nothing against him, but that just makes him one of many.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Criticism is tough..especially for a favorite player.

What do you think that AS has to improve on ?

Hard to say... much depends on the type of team KC turns out to be. If they have a strong defense and STs? Then I don't think Alex has to do much that's different than what he was doing here for us. If he is asked to or game situations force him to be more aggressive? Then I'd say the biggest area of improvement would be that he needs to TRUST his targets more in order to be more aggressive in down field attempts. He would have to take more risks instead of simply being okay with taking a sack if he's not fully comfortable with his targets. Alex has much improved pocket awareness, usage, and his accuracy is fine. He will really just have to quickly gauge his new team and what they can and can not do.. and then adapt to or stay the same.. with that gauge pending.

Trust his targets or trust himself in being able to make the more difficult passes a little more often.

Alex needs to work on ball placement and being more comfortable in making tighter throws when needed.

We have seen the coaches film on him and it is obvious he doesn't throw the ball to receivers unless they are college open.

while no one could dispute kaepernick has the stronger arm to make the tighter throws, I believe from what i saw that in about equal playing time smith made more tighter throws than did kaepernick....i think this was a result of 2 things:

one being smith being more willing to attempt such throws as he enjoyed more success as niners starting qb (examples of some of the tight throws he made were in the packers game opening day on the td to davis, the over the shoulder pass to davis in the bills game along the sideline, the backshoulder td pass to crabtree vs cardinals)

two niners throwing more downfield when kaerpernick took over, and the running game fressing dbs a bit to let the niners receivers get more seperation--on alot of kaepernick throws he shot a lazar but the receivers didnt have alot of bodies around them
[ Edited by hofer36 on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
while no one could dispute kaepernick has the stronger arm to make the tighter throws, I believe from what i saw that in about equal playing time smith made more tighter throws than did kaepernick....i think this was a result of 2 things:

one being smith being more willing to attempt such throws as he enjoyed more success as niners starting qb (examples of some of the tight throws he made were in the packers game opening day on the td to davis, the over the shoulder pass to davis in the bills game along the sideline, the backshoulder td pass to crabtree vs cardinals)

two niners throwing more downfield when kaerpernick took over, and the running game fressing dbs a bit to let the niners receivers get more seperation--on alot of kaepernick throws he shot a lazar but the receivers didnt have alot of bodies around them

Not so sure about that. Alex has a lot of great qualities that lends to him being a successful QB but a willingness to fit the ball into tight spaces doesn't strike me as one of them.

One of the things that I thought set Kap apart was his willingness and ability to fit the ball in tight spaces. Like you said he has the arm for it and I think he took full advantage of it. Take his TD pass to Crabs in the Pats game, a lesser-armed QB wouldn't be able to complete that ball. If he hadn't lasered it in there it would have most likely been broken up by one of the two converging safeties.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There might more to the Chiefs than Alex Smith.

Under Andy Reid, the dream team Eagles imploded in 2011 and packed it in last year.

In 2011, they eked out an 8-8 season, and last year they went 4-12.

Andy Reid's performance might have a bigger impact on the Chiefs than we imagine.
Can we just dispense with all of this and cut right to it?

The people.. the same people that never thought Alex would be a 49er beyond 2007... 2008... 2009... 2010... the same people that believed he could never be a top 10 QB in passer rating or half as good as he is... for one or two years in a row...

these same people flat out don't like or respect Alex as a quarterback... for whatever reasons... because he's not a dynamic QB... because he's made them look foolish for the last however many years for being resilient... because they have grown to resent the fans of Alex.. whatever.. doesn't much matter. These same people will follow Alex around on the pretense of caring about which draft pick will belong to SF.

The obvious and clear reality is... Alex has burned them in some way or another... so even as Alex is no longer a part of the Niners... they will talk about him as often as they can in unrelated threads.. they will follow him to a Chiefs thread... likely follow him to a Chiefs forum.. and continue to dig at him and doubt him.. probably even after he retires from football... probably even after he's dead and buried. It is in the blood like a malingering toxin.

This is why anyone but Alex supporters are in this thread. If we can all just admit that much, then that really is the next step to purging the circulatory system.

edit: this may turn out to be a good quick source of TC and other KC info...

https://twitter.com/arrowheadpride

stop whining
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
stop whining

Chiefs training camp 2013: Day 3 practice report

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/28/4565544/chiefs-training-camp-2013-day-3-practice-report ;
Mr. McGibblets: "... and I have zero doubt that the second our new QB has a struggle or more, fans here will be using those same "excuses" for him.

I've never bought into this idea of calling analysis for why something is not working an "excuse." Whether you're talking about a given player's performance or a team's performance, analyzing why you think something has happened isn't necessarily an excuse at all. If I were to point out that the defense and special teams giving up 34 points in the SB is the main reason why the Niners lost, that isn't really making an excuse for Kaepernick.

By the same token, it used to amaze me that when I would point out that Alex Smith had no cohesive offensive system from season to season, it used to amaze me that people called it an excuse. It was what it was. The statement was a true one and had something to do with his performance. It was a true statement that during his first few years on the team, the O-line simply could not pass protect - again, not an excuse - more of an analysis on why any given quarterback might have a tougher time being successful. In Alex Smith's case, if you're going to allow that good coaching and a good system had something to do with his success on the Niners during his last two years, then you can't call the lack of same during his first years an "excuse."
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Mr. McGibblets: "... and I have zero doubt that the second our new QB has a struggle or more, fans here will be using those same "excuses" for him.

I've never bought into this idea of calling analysis for why something is not working an "excuse." Whether you're talking about a given player's performance or a team's performance, analyzing why you think something has happened isn't necessarily an excuse at all. If I were to point out that the defense and special teams giving up 34 points in the SB is the main reason why the Niners lost, that isn't really making an excuse for Kaepernick.

By the same token, it used to amaze me that when I would point out that Alex Smith had no cohesive offensive system from season to season, it used to amaze me that people called it an excuse. It was what it was. The statement was a true one and had something to do with his performance. It was a true statement that during his first few years on the team, the O-line simply could not pass protect - again, not an excuse - more of an analysis on why any given quarterback might have a tougher time being successful. In Alex Smith's case, if you're going to allow that good coaching and a good system had something to do with his success on the Niners during his last two years, then you can't call the lack of same during his first years an "excuse."

Yeah, right on. I thought it was interesting how "excuses" were all for one QB.. and as soon as the other QB stepped in, those excuses came from them and suddenly became legit reasons for any struggle.

... but I won't play that game any differently than I did with the former QB... because I too believe that there are a ton of variables that can affect a play. It doesn't do any of us any good to be intellectually dishonest about our assessments. Sadly though, I don't think this will be the last we all discuss this.

Yeah, right on. I thought it was interesting how "excuses" were all for one QB.. and as soon as the other QB stepped in, those excuses came from them and suddenly became legit reasons for any struggle.

... but I won't play that game any differently than I did with the former QB... because I too believe that there are a ton of variables that can affect a play. It doesn't do any of us any good to be intellectually dishonest about our assessments. Sadly though, I don't think this will be the last we all discuss this.

Lol, from a guy who reads everyone's posts, you are so full of s**t. Haha no offense, but you are almost as biased as susweel was against Alex
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Lol, from a guy who reads everyone's posts, you are so full of s**t. Haha no offense, but you are almost as biased as susweel was against Alex

no offense taken at all...

one extreme to the other, reality was somewhere in the middle.

correction--from susweel was to susweel is
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Take a look at his game to game production last season. Definitely inconsistent.
Mr. 299 either played like crap or played above average last year. The average looks nice but the deviation was crap.

... and Eli Manning bounced from good games to games with ratings of 78.9... 58.4... 41.1... 56... 38.9... 78.

... Rodgers is a stud and beyond reproach here... Peyton with only one really awful game..

... Tom Brady had 5 regular season games mixed in that were below an 80 rating... and a 62 rating that knocked his team from the playoffs.

... Tony Romo was all over the place in rating... 6 games below an 80 rating.

... Matt Ryan had a few games off suck mixed in too.

... Flacco has 7 reg. season games of below 80 rating... seven!

So, guess what? Looks like the whole "inconsistency" angle of yours can kick rocks. Alex's only real awful game was vs the Giants last season. Otherwise, he was as or more consistent than other highly regarded quarterbacks.

Anything else? or are you determined to stick around all year and do what you do? which is to desperately try to minimize a QB that isn't even on our team anymore?

All the QBs listed above would never be traded for a 2nd round pic...well maybe Romo might next year

I think Manning was released...not even traded. So yes, it could happen.
Share 49ersWebzone