There are 187 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Joecool:
They are not the most penalized team on offense. But they do have the #1 ranked defense in terms of scoring points and yards allowed per drive.

The facts are, the KC offense, aside from not turning the ball over as much from last year, is not the reason why KC is 9-0.

Tell me more how the KC offense just moves the chains, sustains drives, and makes their defense better.

Not a fact.. it's your opinion. Like dude stated on the prior page, KC is #11 in TOP/drive. Pretty damn good for a yr 1 offense with issues across the board.

There is no single aspect that can be called THE ONLY reason that KC is 9-0.

Just give it a rest already, JFC... this need of yours to pick at and hate is pathetic.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Sure it is. Keep coming up with reasons hat hold no ground. Here are some more numbers about your long field claim.

KCs #1 ranked defense in yards per drive allows only 22.5 yards per drive.

KC offense only gets 26.75 yards per drive which is actually ranked 24 and not 22.

So, it looks like the defense hooks up the offense with short field position. If it were the other way around, the. KC offense would have a stronger yards per drive number. So, you are saying the team in the bottom of the league that averages only 26 yards per drive is moving the chains so the opponent has a long field? The numbers say the opposite.

Since you like those pretty numbers so much, any thoughts about KC leading the league #1 in offensive penalties? Thoughts on the being top 10 in dropped passes? Do you think these issues alone contribute greatly to a drive stalling?

They are not the most penalized team on offense. But they do have the #1 ranked defense in terms of scoring points and yards allowed per drive.

The facts are, the KC offense, aside from not turning the ball over as much from last year, is not the reason why KC is 9-0.

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties.html

KC is also ranked 16 th in first downs. Going further, they are ranked 22 in 3rd down percentage. 24th in yards per drive.

Tell me more how the KC offense just moves the chains, sustains drives, and makes their defense better.

What up Cool, you know we used to get into it every now and again, but I have to say you confused me a bit. At one point it seemed like you turned the corner, and started to look at things without the against Alex mindframe. But then recently its like you reverted right back into that same mode, what happened???

I have to say I do agree with you, the KC offense is not THE reason they are 9-0. Since it's a team game..... I'll say the KC offense, is ONE of the reasons that KC is 9-0.
I could care less about this thread title at this point because the Chiefs have won the 8 games I needed them to and we get our 2nd round pick. I will not root against Alex unless he plays us but his winning does weaken our pick but hey we can't have it all can we?
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
They should be #1 in Time of Possession with Alex being the QB.

5th
Many pundits picked Buff over KC...they have to lose sometime...don't they?!

How many Chiefs offensive players are key players? As in...wanted if FAs? Charles...Smith...anyone else? Compare that to the 9ers--Iupati, Staley, Davis, Gore, VD, Boldin, Kapernick...very different teams winning in very different ways. I bring this up to point out that the Chief's offense is out performing it's talent level. I attribute that to Reid and Smith being smarter than most guys in their position.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

How many Chiefs offensive players are key players? As in...wanted if FAs? Charles...Smith...anyone else? Compare that to the 9ers--Iupati, Staley, Davis, Gore, VD, Boldin, Kapernick...very different teams winning in very different ways. I bring this up to point out that the Chief's offense is out performing it's talent level. I attribute that to Reid and Smith being smarter than most guys in their position.

, i actually have to say great post! Most of the NFL world swore KC was gonna lose on Sunday.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

, i actually have to say great post! Most of the NFL world swore KC was gonna lose on Sunday.

Charles, Smith, Bowe, Asamoah, Albert come to mind.

Bowe got his big payday, and has been good, but not playing with the effort or effectiveness of his bloated contract. (again, no axe to grind on Bowe... he's good... just not special)

Asamoah has been solid. He would be a highly pursued FA. Albert has been okay... not a dominating run blocker, and gives up the edge a bit too often... but his position and experience would be highly pursued. Most of their high paid talent is on the defensive side... who understandably is further along than the O.. so they have done more of the heavy lifting. (just like 2011 SF)

Their offense so reminds me of our 2011 one... like nearly every play, someone is screwing up... and it's usually not # 11. It's funny when listening to Chiefs fans... as they will say "the OL is terrible and those drops inexcusable!!!!" .... but in the next breath???? "Alex isn't playing well enough!!!"

I am left thinking, "well duh! the QB kinda needs his OL and receivers to do their jobs, ya know?"
Originally posted by BrianGO:

KC is also ranked 16 th in first downs. Going further, they are ranked 22 in 3rd down percentage. 24th in yards per drive.

You forgot to mention, they are #1 in total punts.

Funny, a few years back, the 49ers were #1 in total punts. I think we might have set a record that year actually.

To answer your question, their offense makes their defense better by punting the ball away and giving the defense more opportunities to score. They scored 14 points last week.

A bit on the sarcastic side, but this is actually my point --but not the purpose to score of course. The Chiefs like the Niners of 2011, try not to turn the ball over, and especially on their own side of the field. Instead of taking overt risk on their side of the field, they rather punt the ball to give their defense as much field behind their defense as possible. The purpose is so that even if the defense allows a big play, chances are good a tackle will be made, the defense regroup to stop the other team from scoring.

Case in point. 3rd qtr opening drive. Buffalo Spiller tore a big play, long run, but the Chiefs was able to make the tackle. They recovered enough to make a pick 6 INT. Had it been a shorter field, Spiller would have scored. No time or field behind the defense to make any recovery after a big play.

I actually agreed with JoeCool that Smith doesn't necessarily extend drives. Like any qb, he does what he can to extend drives within the offense. But he pick his place on the field and game situation to make a safe or calculated risk decision. Because there are certainly times where Smith and the offense stall, and like any good NFL coach will tell you, punting isn't a loss if you set up field position for your defense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:37 AM ]
" "
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Charles, Smith, Bowe, Asamoah, Albert come to mind.

Bowe got his big payday, and has been good, but not playing with the effort or effectiveness of his bloated contract. (again, no axe to grind on Bowe... he's good... just not special)

Asamoah has been solid. He would be a highly pursued FA. Albert has been okay... not a dominating run blocker, and gives up the edge a bit too often... but his position and experience would be highly pursued. Most of their high paid talent is on the defensive side... who understandably is further along than the O.. so they have done more of the heavy lifting. (just like 2011 SF)

Their offense so reminds me of our 2011 one... like nearly every play, someone is screwing up... and it's usually not # 11. It's funny when listening to Chiefs fans... as they will say "the OL is terrible and those drops inexcusable!!!!" .... but in the next breath???? "Alex isn't playing well enough!!!"

I am left thinking, "well duh! the QB kinda needs his OL and receivers to do their jobs, ya know?"

Thanks for the comments! Agree with Asomoah but but he's young and not nearly as highly rated (or over rated) as are the 9ers young linemen. Really wonder about Bowe. I've never really seen him as a great receiver, dependable, go to guy. More of a--get my catches and yards, cruise. Albert is pretty good but not sure he is as dependable as Staley.

After this year some of these guys standing will rise dramatically but I still do not give them all pro status. Bowe has made it but in an underwhelming way, as I mentioned. Of course, having the QBs he's had and the turmoil......almost as bad as Nolan and Singl...naw, not nearly as bad!

reid started to revert to his eagle ways versus bills sunday, 24 passes to something like 5 or 7 runs in 1st half...smith would be more effective if the run game is established to set upplay action...i think they come out vs broncos and try to establish run then play action passes
Originally posted by hofer36:
reid started to revert to his eagle ways versus bills sunday, 24 passes to something like 5 or 7 runs in 1st half...smith would be more effective if the run game is established to set upplay action...i think they come out vs broncos and try to establish run then play action passes

You're absolutely right, and I hope so too. The playcalling (Reid's preference) is frustrating and not a help to the offense. Is it just his preference? Was it forced by having a poor run blocking OL? by having no decent TE blocking early on, due to injuries? Does he really love shotgun formations when in 3rd and short? These questions, I can't really answer. If it is all preference, then it is counterproductive to this team's personnel and strengths.
I like Reids offense. It's more of the Walsh offense than any other team. He doesn't hesitate to go away from Charles for a short pass to get to 3rd & <5. To Reid they are one in the same. So even though the numbers may point towards more passing plays. Some of those passes are just longer handoffs to Andy
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

You forgot to mention, they are #1 in total punts.

Funny, a few years back, the 49ers were #1 in total punts. I think we might have set a record that year actually.

To answer your question, their offense makes their defense better by punting the ball away and giving the defense more opportunities to score. They scored 14 points last week.

A bit on the sarcastic side, but this is actually my point --but not the purpose to score of course. The Chiefs like the Niners of 2011, try not to turn the ball over, and especially on their own side of the field. Instead of taking overt risk on their side of the field, they rather punt the ball to give their defense as much field behind their defense as possible. The purpose is so that even if the defense allows a big play, chances are good a tackle will be made, the defense regroup to stop the other team from scoring.

Case in point. 3rd qtr opening drive. Buffalo Spiller tore a big play, long run, but the Chiefs was able to make the tackle. They recovered enough to make a pick 6 INT. Had it been a shorter field, Spiller would have scored. No time or field behind the defense to make any recovery after a big play.

I actually agreed with JoeCool that Smith doesn't necessarily extend drives. Like any qb, he does what he can to extend drives within the offense. But he pick his place on the field and game situation to make a safe or calculated risk decision. Because there are certainly times where Smith and the offense stall, and like any good NFL coach will tell you, punting isn't a loss if you set up field position for your defense.

I can't disagree with any of this. The reasons for my posts the last two pages was due to incorrect comments being made about "moving the chains", TOP, offense helps the defense which makes the defense better...gets first downs.

The TOP is the biggest thing. Just how some on here incorrectly stated the defense is so good because of the way the offense plays is simply incorrect. The evidence points directly to the defense is actually the one helping out the offense not lose games. The defense doesn't allow for long drives. The defense keeps the opponent's TOP short. KC's offense actually is near the bottom tenth in the league in sustaining long drives. So how are they near the top in time of possession? Because the Defense gives them more opportunities and very quickly.

That was simply my point. There has been a ton of incorrect statements in this thread about KC's offense. The ONE valid statement is the low number of turnovers and punting the ball.
Just like many of you I'm a former Niner fan new Chiefs fan. I'm happy to find this website and read all the insight on Alex and the Chiefs. I'll bet Harbaugh and company are kicking their selves after letting Alex go for the "one hit wonder" and how Alex is 9-0 and playing at a Pro bowl level! Keep proving these haters wrong Alex all the way the Superbowl!

Go Chiefs!
Share 49ersWebzone