Originally posted by Jakemall:
stopped reading at grant cohn.

Yup
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
KC favored by 3 in Buffalo....

I think this is the game they finally lose

Quite possible.

From the easiest schedule in the first half to one of the hardest in the second. We'll see if that D can keep it up and if the O can become more consistent.

Alex's best non-playoff game as a 49er came last year against the Bills, so who knows?
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Originally posted by Joecool:
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick, Smith threw an interception in the end zone in the fourth quarter and Harbaugh let him pass just once after that. After the game, Allen or Mora Jr. would have been in full bus-driver-mode. But here's what Harbaugh said: "(Smith) was fantastic for us all night. Played with a lot of poise. Made some conversions for us. He played extremely well."

It's like Harbaugh was talking about a completely different game but it didn't matter. What mattered to Harbaugh was boosting Smith's confidence. Boosting Smith's confidence after the previous 49ers' head coaches, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary, tried to smash Smith's confidence is one of the most impressive things Harbaugh has accomplished as a head coach.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/10/inside-the-49ers/how-to-stunt-a-qbs-growth/

Interesting. Smith won, but...

it is supposition that smith only passed one time after the int because harbaugh had "lost confidence" in him....maybe he went to the niners strength, the power run game....i mean, does the fact that kaepernick only passed 15 times vs texans and 16 vs jags mean that harbaugh lost confidence in him? or did he just go back to the niners strength and identity on offense?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick,
Interesting. Smith won, but...

Let's recap, Joe... since you just can't let your hate for anything positive of Alex subside.

The Seattle game... halftime... hawks up 6-3... 3rd quarter...

Our 1st possession: a 6:20 minute drive... capped off by an Alex TD to Walker. 4 passes... 5 runs.

So now the score is 10-6, our favor.

Hawks go 3 and out... and what do we do next? we put together another fairly long drive of 5:24 minutes. (too bad for the INT.. ugly play indeed.. but we are moving the ball and burning clock... which is awesome in a slugfest matchup like this)

The Hawks respond with? another 3 and out.

On our next possession, we drive a shorter field, thanks to field position and Ginn's 19 yd PR.

Now the important thing to note is... this is the 4th quarter, and there is 10 minutes left.

Who is in charge of making or changing the calls at the LOS? That's right, Joe! very good! the quarterback. He reads coverage? He checks into a run! We chewed off 4 runs... and 2 pass plays... but 1 pass play turned into Alex running for 3 yds. Some would say running more often in this game situation is ideal... burn clock!

So we score a FG... which puts us up 13-6... but guess what else? only 5:24 left in the 4th quarter! ... and in the end... we hold them off.

Now let me ask you something, Joe. Who was the QB that was integral in getting the lead? then helping to extend the lead? Was it a pretty game? Are Alex's games ever really pretty? Should it matter when you win?

What is wrong with you, that you can not let Alex Smith go????

That paragraph about making the right reads and checking to the run is assuming a lot of things. You don't know that. You do know who's in charge and that was the person who felt Alex wasn't good enough.

Let's see, Alex drives for a TD.
Hawks 3 and out
Alex INT
Hawks 3 and out
Ginn with 19 yd punt return for major field position advantage
SF FG to put us up only 7 points

Score is 10-6 and you think it was more vital to use up clock than score TDs. So we go up 13-6 and SEA still had 5 minutes but our defense holds them again.

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but Alex did not play well. I am only bringing this up because of all his praise that HE beat SEA last year.

That paragraph about making the right reads and checking to the run is assuming a lot of things. You don't know that. You do know who's in charge and that was the person who felt Alex wasn't good enough

would that be the same guy who almost traded kaepernick to philadelphia and courted peyton manning?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but Alex did not play well. I am only bringing this up because of all his praise that HE beat SEA last year.

He made the plays that were needed to make. You can call it playing well/mediocre/terrible... but the hard cold truth is that he made the plays that were needed to gain the lead.. extend the lead.. and the defense took care of the rest. That sounds like Alex Smith. 28-6-1 record. Best of all QBs over the last 3 years. Is he the best QB in the game? haha, no... and no one would say he is. But the dude has been a winner.... and I guess that just drives you crazy.. but do try to get over it. There's really no need for you to obsess over Alex and feel so threatened as to incessantly attempt to cut him down.
Alex compliments a great Defense, no doubt about it

did you really mean to say compliments, or did you mean complements?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by hofer36:

He made the plays that were needed to make. You can call it playing well/mediocre/terrible... but the hard cold truth is that he made the plays that were needed to gain the lead.. extend the lead.. and the defense took care of the rest. That sounds like Alex Smith. 28-6-1 record. Best of all QBs over the last 3 years. Is he the best QB in the game? haha, no... and no one would say he is. But the dude has been a winner.... and I guess that just drives you crazy.. but do try to get over it. There's really no need for you to obsess over Alex and feel so threatened as to incessantly attempt to cut him down.

the word phonetically isn't spelled with an F
Originally posted by boast:

Maybe he meant it both ways...I do remember Alex going on about what a great defense it was.
Originally posted by captveg:
Alex's best non-playoff game as a 49er came last year against the Bills, so who knows?

Yes, but he doesn't have KW anymore!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by captveg:

Yes, but he doesn't have KW anymore!

McCluster is his new KW/Ginn

it is supposition that smith only passed one time after the int because harbaugh had "lost confidence" in him....maybe he went to the niners strength, the power run game....i mean, does the fact that kaepernick only passed 15 times vs texans and 16 vs jags mean that harbaugh lost confidence in him? or did he just go back to the niners strength and identity on offense?

We blew the Texans and Jaguars out. Forcing the run in a tight game, is a lot different.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

We blew the Texans and Jaguars out. Forcing the run in a tight game, is a lot different.

Wasn't Gore getting over 8 yards a carry in that game? Hard to call that forcing it....
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by boast:

Maybe he meant it both ways...I do remember Alex going on about what a great defense it was.

Ahh haaa

Thank you KC for the 2nd rd pick. You guys can start losing now, we appreciate it.
Kansas City Chiefs ‏@KCChiefs21h
As the Chiefs head to Buffalo this week, The Voice @MitchHolthus explains how good Alex Smith has been — http://chfs.me/1f6aLaE ;

and a couple interviews from Reid and Smith
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Practice-Resumes-Succop-Awarded-and-More/3a27622d-2259-4877-b924-1a78784d8c85
Share 49ersWebzone