LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by GNielsen:
"You're welcome to your own opinion...for the most part this discussion is sidebar for the important points in the article."

This long-time Niner fan is not going to let anyone get away with pretending the Bears were the dominate team of the 80's, even if it is a "sidebar." Pure, unmitigated bull. And it's not an opinion. It's a fact. Don't be calling a team that had one championship in the 80's the definition of dominance unless you want to be ridiculed. The Niners won FOUR championships in the 80's. That's the definition of dominance.

Dude. Get off it. The author of the ARTICLE made that statement, not Jakemall. Contact the author and b***h at him. It is a silly position that he has taken.
  • XD33
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Again, only one and done if you're talking about SBs. The author specifically addressed that.

As for their 1985 season, they didn't have a super easy SOS...despite what their division might have been. They also destroyed the teams they played in the play-offs. The one game they lost? The Miami Dolphins who had just finished losing to the 9ers in the previous superbowl..so it wasn't a pushover team..what's more, the fins had the help of a muffed punt by the bears. Stuff happens. Heck of a season, I find it amusing you're trying to diminish what they did.

No question the niners were the best team of the decade...but the bears were so dominant that one year that people remember it to this day. No one outside of niner fans and football gurus remember which was the most dominant 9er team of the 80s..

The reason people remember it to this day is the hype. The reality was a little different. I don't dispute that they were a good team, but I don't really think they were ever a great team. Their division was a complete patsy during that period. By comparison, and even though the common hype says otherwise, the NFC West sent more than one team to the playoffs on a few occasions during that period. And, the NFC East was a complete monster in those days. The Bears had a real good defense with good players, but the key was that it was a completely new scheme that kind of took the league by surprise. It took a couple of years for the league to figure it out, but once it did, the Bears were quickly eliminated from the playoffs each year. And, they got to the playoffs each year largely because it was a cakewalk to win their division. And the reason people can't figure out which Niner team was the most dominant is because there are so many from which to choose.

And, it's not so much that I'm trying to diminish what the Bears did. I find it more strange that you sit here on a Niners web site attempting to diminish the Niners' historic 80's run by arguing that the Chicago Bears were the most memorable team of the 80's. What the hell is that all about? That might fly on a Bears site, but you don't have to be a Niner fan to recognize the obvious.

The bears and giants were more popular teams than the 49ers.
I mean even today in california ...when the COWBOYS play the 49ers in candelstick....THE COWBOYS fans always outnumber 49er fans.

I agree that the 9ers are the team of the 80s. but in terms of mainstream, DITKAS-BEARS were more liked and remembered in the 80s than niners.

This is like the Patriots in the 2000s. People hated the Patriots, but people will remember the 2000s and PEYTON MANNING and his COLTS.
Even though Patriots dominated the 2000s.
Originally posted by XD33:
The bears and giants were more popular teams than the 49ers.
I mean even today in california ...when the COWBOYS play the 49ers in candelstick....THE COWBOYS fans always outnumber 49er fans.

I agree that the 9ers are the team of the 80s. but in terms of mainstream, DITKAS-BEARS were more liked and remembered in the 80s than niners.

This is like the Patriots in the 2000s. People hated the Patriots, but people will remember the 2000s and PEYTON MANNING and his COLTS.
Even though Patriots dominated the 2000s.

I'll let you know when you make any sense at all...
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Oh f**k, we had this thread last year about the falcons....
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick, Smith threw an interception in the end zone in the fourth quarter and Harbaugh let him pass just once after that. After the game, Allen or Mora Jr. would have been in full bus-driver-mode. But here's what Harbaugh said: "(Smith) was fantastic for us all night. Played with a lot of poise. Made some conversions for us. He played extremely well."

It's like Harbaugh was talking about a completely different game but it didn't matter. What mattered to Harbaugh was boosting Smith's confidence. Boosting Smith's confidence after the previous 49ers' head coaches, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary, tried to smash Smith's confidence is one of the most impressive things Harbaugh has accomplished as a head coach.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/10/inside-the-49ers/how-to-stunt-a-qbs-growth/

Interesting. Smith won, but...
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick,

Let's recap, Joe... since you just can't let your hate for anything positive of Alex subside.

The Seattle game... halftime... hawks up 6-3... 3rd quarter...

Our 1st possession: a 6:20 minute drive... capped off by an Alex TD to Walker. 4 passes... 5 runs.

So now the score is 10-6, our favor.

Hawks go 3 and out... and what do we do next? we put together another fairly long drive of 5:24 minutes. (too bad for the INT.. ugly play indeed.. but we are moving the ball and burning clock... which is awesome in a slugfest matchup like this)

The Hawks respond with? another 3 and out.

On our next possession, we drive a shorter field, thanks to field position and Ginn's 19 yd PR.

Now the important thing to note is... this is the 4th quarter, and there is 10 minutes left.

Who is in charge of making or changing the calls at the LOS? That's right, Joe! very good! the quarterback. He reads coverage? He checks into a run! We chewed off 4 runs... and 2 pass plays... but 1 pass play turned into Alex running for 3 yds. Some would say running more often in this game situation is ideal... burn clock!

So we score a FG... which puts us up 13-6... but guess what else? only 5:24 left in the 4th quarter! ... and in the end... we hold them off.

Now let me ask you something, Joe. Who was the QB that was integral in getting the lead? then helping to extend the lead? Was it a pretty game? Are Alex's games ever really pretty? Should it matter when you win?

What is wrong with you, that you can not let Alex Smith go????
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick,

Let's recap, Joe... since you just can't let your hate for anything positive of Alex subside.

The Seattle game... halftime... hawks up 6-3... 3rd quarter...

Our 1st possession: a 6:20 minute drive... capped off by an Alex TD to Walker. 4 passes... 5 runs.

So now the score is 10-6, our favor.

Hawks go 3 and out... and what do we do next? we put together another fairly long drive of 5:24 minutes. (too bad for the INT.. ugly play indeed.. but we are moving the ball and burning clock... which is awesome in a slugfest matchup like this)

The Hawks respond with? another 3 and out.

On our next possession, we drive a shorter field, thanks to field position and Ginn's 19 yd PR.

Now the important thing to note is... this is the 4th quarter, and there is 10 minutes left.

Who is in charge of making or changing the calls at the LOS? That's right, Joe! very good! the quarterback. He reads coverage? He checks into a run! We chewed off 4 runs... and 2 pass plays... but 1 pass play turned into Alex running for 3 yds. Some would say running more often in this game situation is ideal... burn clock!

So we score a FG... which puts us up 13-6... but guess what else? only 5:24 left in the 4th quarter! ... and in the end... we hold them off.

Now let me ask you something, Joe. Who was the QB that was integral in getting the lead? then helping to extend the lead? Was it a pretty game? Are Alex's games ever really pretty? Should it matter when you win?

What is wrong with you, that you can not let Alex Smith go????

That paragraph about making the right reads and checking to the run is assuming a lot of things. You don't know that. You do know who's in charge and that was the person who felt Alex wasn't good enough.

Let's see, Alex drives for a TD.
Hawks 3 and out
Alex INT
Hawks 3 and out
Ginn with 19 yd punt return for major field position advantage
SF FG to put us up only 7 points

Score is 10-6 and you think it was more vital to use up clock than score TDs. So we go up 13-6 and SEA still had 5 minutes but our defense holds them again.

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but Alex did not play well. I am only bringing this up because of all his praise that HE beat SEA last year.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 31, 2013 at 7:04 AM ]
Last season when the 49ers played the Seahawks at Candlestick, Smith threw an interception in the end zone in the fourth quarter and Harbaugh let him pass just once after that. After the game, Allen or Mora Jr. would have been in full bus-driver-mode. But here's what Harbaugh said: "(Smith) was fantastic for us all night. Played with a lot of poise. Made some conversions for us. He played extremely well."

It's like Harbaugh was talking about a completely different game but it didn't matter. What mattered to Harbaugh was boosting Smith's confidence. Boosting Smith's confidence after the previous 49ers' head coaches, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary, tried to smash Smith's confidence is one of the most impressive things Harbaugh has accomplished as a head coach.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/10/inside-the-49ers/how-to-stunt-a-qbs-growth/

stopped reading at grant cohn.
That paragraph about making the right reads and checking to the run is assuming a lot of things. You don't know that. You do know who's in charge and that was the person who felt Alex wasn't good enough.

Let's see, Alex drives for a TD.
Hawks 3 and out
Alex INT
Hawks 3 and out
Ginn with 19 yd punt return for major field position advantage
SF FG to put us up only 7 points

Score is 10-6 and you think it was more vital to use up clock than score TDs. So we go up 13-6 and SEA still had 5 minutes but our defense holds them again.

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but Alex did not play well. I am only bringing this up because of all his praise that HE beat SEA last year.

who recently brought up Alex vs Seattle and our 3 consecutive losses to them since he left?
Looking forward to this game! Last time Smith played that defense he looked like a "decent" "game-managing," "Mediocre" WINNER.

He made the plays that were needed to make. You can call it playing well/mediocre/terrible... but the hard cold truth is that he made the plays that were needed to gain the lead.. extend the lead.. and the defense took care of the rest. That sounds like Alex Smith. 28-6-1 record. Best of all QBs over the last 3 years. Is he the best QB in the game? haha, no... and no one would say he is. But the dude has been a winner.... and I guess that just drives you crazy.. but do try to get over it. There's really no need for you to obsess over Alex and feel so threatened as to incessantly attempt to cut him down.

He made the plays that were needed to make. You can call it playing well/mediocre/terrible... but the hard cold truth is that he made the plays that were needed to gain the lead.. extend the lead.. and the defense took care of the rest. That sounds like Alex Smith. 28-6-1 record. Best of all QBs over the last 3 years. Is he the best QB in the game? haha, no... and no one would say he is. But the dude has been a winner.... and I guess that just drives you crazy.. but do try to get over it. There's really no need for you to obsess over Alex and feel so threatened as to incessantly attempt to cut him down.
Alex compliments a great Defense, no doubt about it
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Alex compliments a great Defense, no doubt about it

Incredible luck and coincidence! BRB - calling him for Lotto picks....
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Dude. Get off it. The author of the ARTICLE made that statement, not Jakemall. Contact the author and b***h at him. It is a silly position that he has taken.

You could have just now made the same point to McGibblets. The author of the article, Grant Cohen made the statement about Smith's play and Harbaugh's response, not Joecool. Contact the author and b***h at him.

But you didn't. Evidently you feel the need to step in for some posters but not others. It's called "consistency." Look into it.
From the Onion: The NFL will not allow the Chiefs to handpick which teams they get to play and when again.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nfl-forbids-chiefs-from-creating-their-own-schedul,34380/
Share 49ersWebzone