LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
They were not one and done. I'm not sure if you were or were not around to remember...but in 84 they were a VERY good team. I was really nervous about that championship game. The following season (85) they were unbeatable (maybe that is what he means by the "definition of dominance") and in 86 they still went 14-2 and then 11-4 then 12-4....

I wouldn't call that one and done.

Oh, I assure you that I was around. And I remember exactly what happened.

One championship and then done - no more championships. They had one great season, but they weren't "unbeatable." They lost a game. And they played in a very weak division. That year, they were the only NFC Central team with a winning record. I know the myth is that the West was the weakest division, but the Niners actually had to play a division rival in the playoffs one year to win a championship.

As opposed to one championship in 1981 and then 3 more before the decade is through. That's why the Niners are known as the "Team of the Decade." I'm not sure where you're coming from, but the only fans in the country who even try to pretend that the 80's were not the Niners' decade are Bears fans, who keep on trying to perpetuate this myth that they were the most dominate team in those days. The Niners beat them in 1984 in the playoffs 23-0. I was not only around , but I was at the game. The Bears couldn't even begin to move the ball on that '84 Niner defense which was the best in the league. The NIners average margin of victory that year was 15.5 compared to the Bears 4.8. In '86, they again had a pedestrian offense that was in the middle of the pack and they got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. By '87, they still had a mediocre offense, but people were figuring out that defense and it was basically over. They again got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. And by the way, by 87, they didn't even have the best defense anymore. The Niners defense was #1 in the league in '87 and the Bears were fifth or sixth.

Again, only one and done if you're talking about SBs. The author specifically addressed that.

As for their 1985 season, they didn't have a super easy SOS...despite what their division might have been. They also destroyed the teams they played in the play-offs. The one game they lost? The Miami Dolphins who had just finished losing to the 9ers in the previous superbowl..so it wasn't a pushover team..what's more, the fins had the help of a muffed punt by the bears. Stuff happens. Heck of a season, I find it amusing you're trying to diminish what they did.

No question the niners were the best team of the decade...but the bears were so dominant that one year that people remember it to this day. No one outside of niner fans and football gurus remember which was the most dominant 9er team of the 80s..
Again, only one and done if you're talking about SBs. The author specifically addressed that.

As for their 1985 season, they didn't have a super easy SOS...despite what their division might have been. They also destroyed the teams they played in the play-offs. The one game they lost? The Miami Dolphins who had just finished losing to the 9ers in the previous superbowl..so it wasn't a pushover team..what's more, the fins had the help of a muffed punt by the bears. Stuff happens. Heck of a season, I find it amusing you're trying to diminish what they did.

No question the niners were the best team of the decade...but the bears were so dominant that one year that people remember it to this day. No one outside of niner fans and football gurus remember which was the most dominant 9er team of the 80s..

The reason people remember it to this day is the hype. The reality was a little different. I don't dispute that they were a good team, but I don't really think they were ever a great team. Their division was a complete patsy during that period. By comparison, and even though the common hype says otherwise, the NFC West sent more than one team to the playoffs on a few occasions during that period. And, the NFC East was a complete monster in those days. The Bears had a real good defense with good players, but the key was that it was a completely new scheme that kind of took the league by surprise. It took a couple of years for the league to figure it out, but once it did, the Bears were quickly eliminated from the playoffs each year. And, they got to the playoffs each year largely because it was a cakewalk to win their division. And the reason people can't figure out which Niner team was the most dominant is because there are so many from which to choose.

And, it's not so much that I'm trying to diminish what the Bears did. I find it more strange that you sit here on a Niners web site attempting to diminish the Niners' historic 80's run by arguing that the Chicago Bears were the most memorable team of the 80's. What the hell is that all about? That might fly on a Bears site, but you don't have to be a Niner fan to recognize the obvious.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]

The reason people remember it to this day is the hype. The reality was a little different. I don't dispute that they were a good team, but I don't really think they were ever a great team. Their division was a complete patsy during that period. By comparison, and even though the common hype says otherwise, the NFC West sent more than one team to the playoffs on a few occasions during that period. And, the NFC East was a complete monster in those days. The Bears had a real good defense with good players, but the key was that it was a completely new scheme that kind of took the league by surprise. It took a couple of years for the league to figure it out, but once it did, the Bears were quickly eliminated from the playoffs each year. And, they got to the playoffs each year largely because it was a cakewalk to win their division. And the reason people can't figure out which Niner team was the most dominant is because there are so many from which to choose.

And, it's not so much that I'm trying to diminish what the Bears did. I find it more strange that you sit here on a Niners web site attempting to diminish the Niners' historic 80's run by arguing that the Chicago Bears were the most memorable team of the 80's. What the hell is that all about? That might fly on a Bears site, but you don't have to be a Niner fan to recognize the obvious.

It's KC fan thing. Bears were great for a few years but their problem was that they were great in the wrong decade because the 49ers were greater. It's like Hakeem Olujwan and Charles Barkley. Jordan was the player of their era no matter how great Chuck and The Dream were.

Yeah, I really diminished them. Jeez... and I quote "no question the niners were the best team of the decade". Yup...that made them sound awful didn't it?
Yeah, I really diminished them. Jeez... and I quote "no question the niners were the best team of the decade". Yup...that made them sound awful didn't it?

To review, the entire sentence was "No question the niners were the best team of the decade...but the bears were so dominant that one year that people remember it to this day. No one outside of niner fans and football gurus remember which was the most dominant 9er team of the 80s."

I agree with Joecool. This must be a KC fan thing.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Man, these guys will go 13-3. They are playing only 3 playoff teams (DEN twice, Indy in KC, and whichever sorry ass team comes out of the NFC East).

I wonder when the last time a pretender went 13-3?

Funny you should ask....

"Eight and oh."

Say it one time. It rolls off the tongue quite nicely. No matter how you type it, it looks amazing. 8-0. Eight and oh. 8 and 0. The Kansas City Chiefs are undefeated. They have won half of their regular season games without losing any.

Putting the tumultuous season that was 2012 aside for a second, this is a huge feat for any team. Statistically speaking, this doesn't happen. Teams just don't run the table for the first half of the season. In fact, it's practically, statistically impossible. Like, maybe not quite as hard as winning the lottery, but damn close.

Since the 1970 NFL/AFL merger, exactly 1,285 NFL teams have taken the field. Of those 1,285 teams, only 20 of them (including the 2013 Chiefs) have started the season with an 8-0 record. That's only 1.55 percent of all teams who have played the game in the last 43 years. While most have gone to a higher win count before losing, (if at all) they have all started with eight wins. This year, the Chiefs have joined that club once again.

I don't really care about the history of the record or how difficult it is. I only care about why it happened. There are teams that achieve things because they are dominant and a great team. There are teams that do unbelievable things because they finally got their players healthy. It also happens from addition by subtraction.

In KC's case, it was a combination of addition by subtraction, having a QB who doesn't lose games, and an extremely weak schedule. Now, this week, they go up agains another team with a backup QB.

Did you know one of the Troy Aikman Cowboy teams started 0-2 and was the first team ever to win the Superbowl starting 0-2. Why were they 0-2? Emmitt Smith was holding out. So, as fairytalish you want to make it, there are certain factors that play into it...

...and one of them is not because they are a great team.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
"Although the Joe Montana led 49ers defined the 80's in regards to Superbowl victories, the 1985 Bears team embodied the decade. The team didn't just win football games; they had a music video, their own dance, wardrobe controversies and then met the New England Patriots in the Superbowl and destroyed them. They were the definition of dominance."

Nonsense. The NFL calls the 49ers the Team of the Decade for the 80's. The '85 Bears were one and done. They had a gimmick defense that good teams figured out by the very next year. Two years after that "dominating" performance in '85, the 10-6 Wild card Niners knocked them off in Chicago in -25 degree weather 28-3. The Niners killed them. They never came back. To call that team the "definition of dominance" is a joke.

They were not one and done. I'm not sure if you were or were not around to remember...but in 84 they were a VERY good team. I was really nervous about that championship game. The following season (85) they were unbeatable (maybe that is what he means by the "definition of dominance") and in 86 they still went 14-2 and then 11-4 then 12-4....

I wouldn't call that one and done.
Isn't measured by Superbowl wins ?

regardless of record ?

Well since the article specifically mentions that they were only in one superbowl and that they were dominant despite that, I'm not really sure where you're coming from on this. Sure the goal is always to win superbowls....doesn't always happen..doesn't mean a team isn't a factor during a time or era. 9ers while having the dynasty rarely felt like they were unbeatable. They just found ways to win. For that one season, chicago was.

You're welcome to your own opinion...for the most part this discussion is sidebar for the important points in the article.
Ohhh i thought you were trying to say KC is dominant as was the bears, sorry

Not sure why that article is saying that since the 9ers 84 season..was the same record as the 85 bears and won a SB
Joecool: "There are teams that achieve things because they are dominant and a great team."

After going to the NFC title game at the end of the '83 season, the Niners ended up with the toughest schedule for the 84 season and the longest traveling road schedule on top of that. They went 15-1, their only loss coming on a questionable pass interference call during a close game with the Steelers. And, the NFC West sent TWO teams to the playoffs that year. The ended the season by almost completely shutting down the media's favorite offensive juggernaut, a young Dan Marino and the Dolphins. They had the NFC's top offense and the entire league's top defense. Now that's what I would call a truly dominant and great team.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM ]

To review, the entire sentence was "No question the niners were the best team of the decade...but the bears were so dominant that one year that people remember it to this day. No one outside of niner fans and football gurus remember which was the most dominant 9er team of the 80s."

I agree with Joecool. This must be a KC fan thing.

Hmmm...so saying that a team had one dominant year that distinguishes it in the minds of the masses is bashing on the 9ers. Okay...

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Ohhh i thought you were trying to say KC is dominant as was the bears, sorry

Not sure why that article is saying that since the 9ers 84 season..was the same record as the 85 bears and won a SB

I would argue the 89 team was a better team than the 84 despite the additional loss.
on the way to 16-0!

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 1m Great sit-down interview this week with the QB of the 8-0 KC Chiefs - Alex Smith: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs/autostart/ ;…
Joecool: "There are teams that achieve things because they are dominant and a great team."

After going to the NFC title game at the end of the '83 season, the Niners ended up with the toughest schedule for the 84 season and the longest traveling road schedule on top of that. They went 15-1, their only loss coming on a questionable pass interference call during a close game with the Steelers. And, the NFC West sent TWO teams to the playoffs that year. The ended the season by almost completely shutting down the media's favorite offensive juggernaut, a young Dan Marino and the Dolphins. They had the NFC's top offense and the entire league's top defense. Now that's what I would call a truly dominant and great team.

Ouch, the '83 NFCCG was a heartbreaker with the BS calls on Lott and Wright on that final Redskins drive. And then in '84, just that one loss to the Steelers, which included Wersching missing a 37-yarder with just a few seconds left that would have tied the game. That's how close the Niners were to potential 19-0.

As for KC, solid team and regardless of schedule, going 8-0 ain't easy. That said, the second half should be much tougher...5 road games, plus they still have Denver + San Diego twice each, and a decent Raiders team at Oakland.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 1m Great sit-down interview this week with the QB of the 8-0 KC Chiefs - Alex Smith: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs/autostart/ ;…

peter king is a fat sack of s**t that nobody likes. he doesnt write articles, he smears s**t onto paper and hoots like a chimp. Everything he smears into letters is either asisine, a lie, completely obvious or ridiculously stupid. he is literally the worst sports writer the world has ever seen.

I wish his heart would explode
[ Edited by xtm059 on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM ]

I am also no fan of Peter King, but that was a worthwhile and enjoyable 6+ minutes... thanks for posting it.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by xtm059:

peter king is a fat sack of s**t that nobody likes. he doesnt write articles, he smears s**t onto paper and hoots like a chimp. Everything he smears into letters is either asisine, a lie, completely obvious or ridiculously stupid. he is literally the worst sports writer the world has ever seen.

I wish his heart would explode

tell us how really feel
Share 49ersWebzone