There are 189 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

• dj43
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by dj43:
I just finished watching the KC/Houston game. I was somewhat surprised by what I saw. From what some posters here had said, and what some national writers wrote, I expected Alex Smith to look pretty much like junk. He was far from it. Other than the one throw down on the goal line where he threw McGrath out of bounds, he played a very good game. The one pick was clearly the result of McCluster stopping on his route. In the meantime, he had some good throws and a couple of great throws. In addition, he was adjusting run plays to good advantage. He also had the protection right 90% of the time. He was also a total of about 2 feet from having to TD throws. I still think Fasano was across the goal line but the replay was "inconclusive." Good management by Alex.

Houston, though now 2-5, is still a formidable defensive team, or at least it was until Cushing went down. KC dominated in the game. The Kansas City OL had their best game of the season, and they did it against JJ Watt and Friends. That line is the youngest group in the league and held its own against the Texans. Jeff Allen is now healthy and playing well at RG. Fisher still has room to improve but is much better than he was at the beginning of the season. Though he often had help against Watt, there were several times where he won a stalemate with Watt. Asomoah is a banger and left a few welts on some Houston boys. Hudson is just average as a blocker but adjusted protections very well. Overall a good offensive effort even though the score board does not tell the true story.

I love their defense. Poe anchors a front 7 that I believe is as good overall as the 49ers, if not better. Poe is the best NT in the league, and it isn't close. No other NT gets the penetration he does while not getting forced out of the hole. He frees up all the other guys to make plays. Their sack totals are terrific and I loved the overload blitz packages that Sutton turned lose toward the end of the game when Houston desperately needed to throw the ball. I hope Fangio was watching. I don't have to tell anyone here that the 49ers are struggling to put pressure on the QB.

I am looking forward to the Denver game. Denver's defense is nothing special. I could easily see the Chiefs going into Denver and getting a win. Manning is vulnerable when he starts getting hit, and KC's linebackers are going to hit him...a lot.

I agree that Alex was better than the stats indicate. That McGrath endzone pass AND the deep sideline pass to JC was frustrating.

Just wanted to note.. Jeff Allen does look healthier now, but plays LG.. not RG. He was pretty bad throughout most of their games so far. I am watching this game again, and he does seem to be doing somewhat better. I still don't trust him, and think he is the 2nd worst OL behind Fisher at RT.. who also seems a little better lately.

The 6+ minute drive at the end of quarter 2... when down 10-7... now that was cool. Sometimes, I do think Reid is toying with the opponents... pulling out "the real" offense when they need it.. but experimenting when they don't. Either way, this offense seems to handle their business when they most need to. Having Fasano back should and already is beneficial.

I can see the Chiefs losing 4 or even 5 games down this stretch. They have surprised me so far, so maybe that 4 or 5 turns into 2.

the other play that frustrated me was when charles split wide and was covered by a linebacker...smith saw the mismatch and when charles went deep he put the ball too close to the sideline and it was out of bounds....like a mistreated dog i think smith is still hesitant to risk a pick, yet if he put the ball more towards the inside of charles it is a big play and probable score

Agree that ball was not placed well. However, every QB misses on a certain number of passes during a game. The standard for Smith is no different than for any other. It is just that now everyone seems to look at him under a microscope on every play while Peyton the Great just misfires once in a while. They are both human and will miss on occasion.
the other play that frustrated me was when charles split wide and was covered by a linebacker...smith saw the mismatch and when charles went deep he put the ball too close to the sideline and it was out of bounds....like a mistreated dog i think smith is still hesitant to risk a pick, yet if he put the ball more towards the inside of charles it is a big play and probable score

Oh, I agree.. yet I did mention that play in my post that you quoted... you just were more descriptive than I.

Agree that ball was not placed well. However, every QB misses on a certain number of passes during a game. The standard for Smith is no different than for any other. It is just that now everyone seems to look at him under a microscope on every play while Peyton the Great just misfires once in a while. They are both human and will miss on occasion.

Agree with this as well. Alex throws so few deep passes.. that when they miss even slightly, folks really dig deep into them. Whereas other QBs miss a few per game too, but they throw a handful more that do connect... so the missed ones are often forgotten.
Strange. I responded to both posts above... they didn't show up.. and then as I click out to the Niner page, it shows that I was the last one who posted.

edit: Oh, well there it is now. Ooookay.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Is this the easiest schedule in the NFL? One team has a winning record and that was the Cowboys.

Apart from their divisional rivals, the team with the worst record in the previous year plays a schedule weighted to other teams with similarly low records. Conversely, SB teams play the toughest schedule. In each case, it usually impacts 3 games, sometimes 4. At the end of last season, Oakland and San Diego looked like pushover games for the Chiefs. However, both of those teams are much improved this season.
  • dj43

Oh, I agree.. yet I did mention that play in my post that you quoted... you just were more descriptive than I.

Agree with this as well. Alex throws so few deep passes.. that when they miss even slightly, folks really dig deep into them. Whereas other QBs miss a few per game too, but they throw a handful more that do connect... so the missed ones are often forgotten.

Lot of reasons for that, and not all relate to Smith. Reid's offense was always about shorter passes. That changed when D Jackson arrived but it was still about ball control rather than long gainers. Also, the Chiefs don't have any burners right now.

Compare the KC defense to Denver. If you look only at overall stats, Denver is terrible. However, a good part of that is the fact the Peyton runs such a quick strike offense their defense gets back out on the field with relatively little rest. Hence, they are on the field more and get tired more quickly (stating the obvious). In contrast, Reid's offense is much about always having a well-rested defense. Even so, I bet those LBs were getting tired chasing Case Keenum around. (I think Houston may have found their QB of the future.)
Is this the easiest schedule in the NFL? One team has a winning record and that was the Cowboys.

Apart from their divisional rivals, the team with the worst record in the previous year plays a schedule weighted to other teams with similarly low records. Conversely, SB teams play the toughest schedule. In each case, it usually impacts 3 games, sometimes 4. At the end of last season, Oakland and San Diego looked like pushover games for the Chiefs. However, both of those teams are much improved this season.

If you factor in the luck of getting the worst NFC division this year, 6 games for KC will be a piece of cake. What is it, 2 games for having a terrible record and 4 games from the NFC East?

Stars have aligned. Of course, this mixed in with a sabotage QB last year who was playing on a very talented team. I just hope Chiefs fans don't completely blame Alex when it gets tougher.

Trent Dilfer was on 95.7 and mentioned that KC would not be winning games without that Defense because their offense is not very good. Andy Reid has made it very unpredictable, but the offense is not every good. He also went on to say they need to get Bowe the ball much more than they have if they really want to compete.

Bowe being a game-changer...he has the talent...but I don't think that will happen.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

If you factor in the luck of getting the worst NFC division this year, 6 games for KC will be a piece of cake. What is it, 2 games for having a terrible record and 4 games from the NFC East?

Stars have aligned. Of course, this mixed in with a sabotage QB last year who was playing on a very talented team. I just hope Chiefs fans don't completely blame Alex when it gets tougher.

Trent Dilfer was on 95.7 and mentioned that KC would not be winning games without that Defense because their offense is not very good. Andy Reid has made it very unpredictable, but the offense is not every good. He also went on to say they need to get Bowe the ball much more than they have if they really want to compete.

Bowe being a game-changer...he has the talent...but I don't think that will happen.

If Avery and McCluster can become more of a factor, Bowe should see less double coverage. Right now he is getting banged at the LOS and often a safety over the top.

Lot of reasons for that, and not all relate to Smith. Reid's offense was always about shorter passes. That changed when D Jackson arrived but it was still about ball control rather than long gainers. Also, the Chiefs don't have any burners right now.

Compare the KC defense to Denver. If you look only at overall stats, Denver is terrible. However, a good part of that is the fact the Peyton runs such a quick strike offense their defense gets back out on the field with relatively little rest. Hence, they are on the field more and get tired more quickly (stating the obvious). In contrast, Reid's offense is much about always having a well-rested defense. Even so, I bet those LBs were getting tired chasing Case Keenum around. (I think Houston may have found their QB of the future.)

Shots don't have to be successful every time to have an impact on the game. Take a shot downfield and now the defense is thinking about the long ball too...not just the stuff up front.
Bowe is good, but he's not a superstar. He has drop issues, route running issues, and he's not a burner. He's a high-end WR2 or a low end WR1, in reality. One good season of 15 TDs doesn't make a guy a star. The KC receiving corps is poor overall. Avery is a castoff, Bowe is overrated, their TEs have been decimated by injury, McCluster is a change of pace RB who is good for the occasional catch-and-run and nothing more. It's a thin group low on talent. In terms of pass-catchers, they are probably in the bottom 5 in the NFL.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Bowe is good, but he's not a superstar. He has drop issues, route running issues, and he's not a burner. He's a high-end WR2 or a low end WR1, in reality. One good season of 15 TDs doesn't make a guy a star. The KC receiving corps is poor overall. Avery is a castoff, Bowe is overrated, their TEs have been decimated by injury, McCluster is a change of pace RB who is good for the occasional catch-and-run and nothing more. It's a thin group low on talent. In terms of pass-catchers, they are probably in the bottom 5 in the NFL.

Dwayne Bowe doesn't need to be a superstar. However, one thing he IS is a legitimate deep threat, one of the top in the league. His career average prior to this year was 13.7. Take a look at Brandon Marshall who only has a 12.6 career average. If you want to talk about TD's, Calvin Johnson only had 5 last year in 15 games and actually has 3 seasons with 5 or fewer.

Bowe's yards per catch has dropped down to 11.8 this year. His long is only 34 yards which is lower than any other year. Some can say it is because of Andy Reid, but does anyone REALLY believe if a coach has a legitimate top 5 NFL deep threat, that he will not use him? It has more to do with Alex Smith. Alex has a legit history of not throwing to his WR's deeper than 10 yards on a consistent basis. He has a legit history of preferring the shorter targets.

Dwayne Bowe doesn't need to be a superstar. However, one thing he IS is a legitimate deep threat, one of the top in the league. His career average prior to this year was 13.7. Take a look at Brandon Marshall who only has a 12.6 career average. If you want to talk about TD's, Calvin Johnson only had 5 last year in 15 games and actually has 3 seasons with 5 or fewer.

Bowe's yards per catch has dropped down to 11.8 this year. His long is only 34 yards which is lower than any other year. Some can say it is because of Andy Reid, but does anyone REALLY believe if a coach has a legitimate top 5 NFL deep threat, that he will not use him? It has more to do with Alex Smith. Alex has a legit history of not throwing to his WR's deeper than 10 yards on a consistent basis. He has a legit history of preferring the shorter targets.

tell us more about Alex, joecool! need more information!

tell us more about Alex, joecool! need more information!

So all the other position players are just okay talent except for one? I was mainly discussing the level of Bowes skills and how he compares to other top receivers in that category. Man, teams must have NEVER thought to double him in prior years when he averaged 16 per catch...just this year, for some reason.
So all the other position players are just okay talent except for one? I was mainly discussing the level of Bowes skills and how he compares to other top receivers in that category. Man, teams must have NEVER thought to double him in prior years when he averaged 16 per catch...just this year, for some reason.

I'd guess a lot of his stats were garnered from KC having to come back from large deficits... thanks to a poorly schemed defense and the QBs committing horrendous turnovers. At any rate, Bowe is okay. He is sometimes lazy now that he signed his fat contract, but he still does enough to be useful. Alex is a guy that spreads the ball around. He doesn't play favorites on where the passes go. The previous KC quarterbacks just chucked it up to him and begged him to make plays.

Me? I could give a fig less who catches what stats. It's a useless area of discussion, but if it is important to you, then do carry on...

I'd guess a lot of his stats were garnered from KC having to come back from large deficits... thanks to a poorly schemed defense and the QBs committing horrendous turnovers. At any rate, Bowe is okay. He is sometimes lazy now that he signed his fat contract, but he still does enough to be useful. Alex is a guy that spreads the ball around. He doesn't play favorites on where the passes go. The previous KC quarterbacks just chucked it up to him and begged him to make plays.

Me? I could give a fig less who catches what stats. It's a useless area of discussion, but if it is important to you, then do carry on...

You mean when defenses have a lead and the only routes they allow are the shorter underneath routes? Try again. I am just basing this off of what Dilfer mentioned in that KC needs to get Bowe more touches if they truly want defenses to fear them. Your assessment of Alex is correct, so why the attacks on Bowe if his QB is simply a player who will spread it around (as long as it is a shorter route). So, is Bowe not getting the bigger plays and more opportunities because he is lazy and being double teamed (past stats show different) or is it because his QB prefers to go for the safer more sure completion which isn't a bad thing, but it is not a great thing either.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM ]

Bowe isn't close to being a top 5 deep threat. That's laughable. Calvin, Julio, Green, Bryant, Desean, Gordon, Demaryius, Wallace, T. Smith, Cruz, VJax, Fitzgerald, Andre...the list goes on. His 2013 season looks a lot like his 2008 season (same YPC). He's a 4.6-7 guy at this point in his career. He's not a top guy, he's not a top deep threat. He's a decent receiver and nothing more. In any case, YPC is a result of system as much as anything.
Share 49ersWebzone