LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Rewatching the KC game. Smith's numbers doesn't look good, but it's actually a decent game by Smith. In between the Raiders pass rush and coverage, there was a lot of throw aways and a few sacks on Smith. He did have some good runs. Like converting a 3rd&2 on a 14yds run. Or running out of a sure sack to convert a 1st down. There were a couple of misses that stand out -- the playaction pass that he overthrew McCluster down the middle that could have been a big gainer and the one down the left sideline to Avery. He had a couple of beauty to Bowe on the run and a back shoulder to Bowe on the left side line. Lots of passes on the run that he kept low so the defender won't get to. Raiders pass rush was active all day.

Cooper still playing well at corner for the Chief The TD to Moore, I'm not so sure that was all on Cooper. He protected the outside and the receiver went inside for the slant. There should be a safety there within the proximity of the catch to make the tackle but --no show.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Even with that, Chiefs could have a collapse. I want them to hurry up and win 8 because I have a bad feeling Reid is getting figured out. Teams are focusing on the underneath routes and forcing deep throws.

Chiefs passing game has gotten worse with each game.

With HOU, CLE, BUF, DEN, WAS in the next 5 weeks, and the way their passing game is struggling, they may be lucky to get 1 or 2 wins out of that.

Figured out?

It's weird, it seems like the only teams that have figured him out are the Giants and maybe Seattle. Everyone else has allowed him to operate at the typical efficient Smith level.

We saw it against the Giants a few weeks ago, but then they self destructed and could no longer play with the intensity and allowed him to pick them apart more. The Giants put out the "blueprint" 18+ months ago, and only now are teams figuring it out?

They were a good defense in that NFCC, but since then not so much.
I think they lose twice to Denver.

Houston is in trouble but it could be close.

I like the Browns to win.

Washington is overrated - Chiefs will beat the poop out of tem.

I'm so hoping for 8-8 BUT 10 wins isn't out of the question.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Even with that, Chiefs could have a collapse. I want them to hurry up and win 8 because I have a bad feeling Reid is getting figured out. Teams are focusing on the underneath routes and forcing deep throws.

With HOU, CLE, BUF, DEN, WAS in the next 5 weeks, and the way their passing game is struggling, they may be lucky to get 1 or 2 wins out of that.

Figured out?

It's weird, it seems like the only teams that have figured him out are the Giants and maybe Seattle. Everyone else has allowed him to operate at the typical efficient Smith level.

We saw it against the Giants a few weeks ago, but then they self destructed and could no longer play with the intensity and allowed him to pick them apart more. The Giants put out the "blueprint" 18+ months ago, and only now are teams figuring it out?

If you haven't known, Smith is passing at 56% with nearly half as many INTs as TD's and a low rating. I'm talking about Reid's offense with Alex Smith. The KC passing game has gotten worse. Why don't you look at Smith's weekly rating. It has dropped nearly each week where it was at 94.4 in week 1 and was 56.9 week 6.

Even heard on the radio that the Raiders were focusing on the underneath routes. I have seen some of the other Chiefs games and the ones Alex played well, there were a lot of underneath routes open. In the past few weeks, the underneath coverage has been tighter and teams are forcing KC to throw the long bomb.

So, if teams are not beginning figure out the offense, then how do you explain the drop in production from week to week?
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM ]
If you haven't known, Smith is passing at 56% with nearly half as many INTs as TD's and a low rating. I'm talking about Reid's offense with Alex Smith. The KC passing game has gotten worse. Why don't you look at Smith's weekly rating. It has dropped nearly each week where it was at 94.4 in week 1 and was 56.9 week 6.

Even heard on the radio that the Raiders were focusing on the underneath routes. I have seen some of the other Chiefs games and the ones Alex played well, there were a lot of underneath routes open. In the past few weeks, the underneath coverage has been tighter and teams are forcing KC to throw the long bomb.

So, if teams are not beginning figure out the offense, then how do you explain the drop in production from week to week?

Really...? lol JCharles got huge chunks of yardage out of the backfield from Captain Checkdown against the Raiders. So what the hell happened to that game plan

I think it's more of the Raiders covering the deep and intermediate 10yds out, and keeping 5-10yds in front of them, couple that with a good pass rush. And you saw what happened to the Chiefs, struggling to convert any 3rd and 9.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]

Figured out?

Did you even watch the game?
So if Alex would have lost that game Chiefs fans would have ripped him a new one huh? Hahaha first off Alex didn't lose the game he kept his team in it and got the win which is all that matters in a game where the Chiefs offense especially the OL was struggling! Secondly any foolass Chiefs fans who want to whine and b***h about Alex they can go try and find a better QB who can take their 2-14 team to 6-0 and the playoffs good luck to them!!!!!!!!!!!

And the last time the 49ers beat the Seahawks in Seattle Alex Smith was the 9ers QB.
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
So if Alex would have lost that game Chiefs fans would have ripped him a new one huh? Hahaha first off Alex didn't lose the game he kept his team in it and got the win which is all that matters in a game where the Chiefs offense especially the OL was struggling! Secondly any foolass Chiefs fans who want to whine and b***h about Alex they can go try and find a better QB who can take their 2-14 team to 6-0 and the playoffs good luck to them!!!!!!!!!!!

And the last time the 49ers beat the Seahawks in Seattle Alex Smith was the 9ers QB.

They're certainly b***hing about his performance yesterday.
Originally posted by Method:
Alex was god awful in that game. If they had lost, it would be all on him. He has to make those deep throws down the sidelines. Even if it's underthrown, at least make sure it gets to the receiver. Overthrowing them by 3 yards is a huge issue.

Its like he does it on purpose. He did the EXACT SAME thing here! I'm glad we don't have to watch that crap anymore!
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by Method:
Alex was god awful in that game. If they had lost, it would be all on him. He has to make those deep throws down the sidelines. Even if it's underthrown, at least make sure it gets to the receiver. Overthrowing them by 3 yards is a huge issue.

Its like he does it on purpose. He did the EXACT SAME thing here! I'm glad we don't have to watch that crap anymore!

lol

So far, nothing changes as far as Alex Smith is concerned:

He seems more and more like a game manager (not an insult by the way)
Is not directly responsible for a win or a loss...mostly

...and maybe that's enough to reach the playoffs and go further...who knows. End of the day, if you win, that's it. Given they went 2-14 last year, they will get a relatively easier schedule the following year. Regardless, 6-0 in the NFL is something to be proud of.

I've noticed the stats.

And believe me, I know what Smith likes to do. What I find interesting is that Smith finds decent success despite the fact that he's had two terrible games against the Giants over the last two seasons (with an average one vs. Seattle). It's quite puzzling because there's really nothing remarkable about the Giants' defense in 2011/2012 yet somehow their personnel seems to flummox him. This year their defense had almost no pass rush on him and still got two picks.

Then you get division rivals like Arizona who got annihilated by him last year in his final full game as a Niner. Say what you want about his style of play, that was an impressive offensive outing against a good defense in the division.

Teams have seemingly adjusted very well to Kaepernick and Wilson to the point that their drop offs are more dramatic than Smith's.

I'm just wondering what it is Smith can do that prevents all teams from shutting him down completely.

This is not a debate but a real question.

I want Smith to succeed and do damage, but even Andy Reid doing everything in his power to give him full autonomy and encourage him to be more aggressive isn't doing anything.

There's gonna come a time when he needs to open it up to win. He did it successfully vs. the Saints, but since that game going forward he has not as we all witnessed in the NFCC and 2012 games against Minnesota and NYG.

This season will probably end up like 2011 for him. It's up to him next season to take the next step (I know, broken record) otherwise it will be more of the same and his career as a starter will be in danger.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
They're certainly b***hing about his performance yesterday.

Hahaha meh just a bunch of retarded trolls/clowns talking crap to stir s**t up on an internet forum did you see the game real Chiefs fans at Arrowhead are digging Alex and the 6-0 team he is leading.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Really...? lol JCharles got huge chunks of yardage out of the backfield from Captain Checkdown against the Raiders. So what the hell happened to that game plan

I think it's more of the Raiders covering the deep and intermediate 10yds out, and keeping 5-10yds in front of them, couple that with a good pass rush. And you saw what happened to the Chiefs, struggling to convert any 3rd and 9.

Chiefs just got lucky they played a crappier QB and nearly all of its OL injured. Chiefs passing game has been struggling for the past two games. For a player who revels on efficiency, he has only had 2 games with a percentage higher than 60%. Not good for a player who only averages 6.16yds.

In the last 4 games, he has 3 TD's and 3 INTS with 3 of those games being 0 TDs. So, I guess Alex is doing just fine?
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]

I've noticed the stats.

And believe me, I know what Smith likes to do. What I find interesting is that Smith finds decent success despite the fact that he's had two terrible games against the Giants over the last two seasons (with an average one vs. Seattle). It's quite puzzling because there's really nothing remarkable about the Giants' defense in 2011/2012 yet somehow their personnel seems to flummox him. This year their defense had almost no pass rush on him and still got two picks.

Then you get division rivals like Arizona who got annihilated by him last year in his final full game as a Niner. Say what you want about his style of play, that was an impressive offensive outing against a good defense in the division.

Teams have seemingly adjusted very well to Kaepernick and Wilson to the point that their drop offs are more dramatic than Smith's.

I'm just wondering what it is Smith can do that prevents all teams from shutting him down completely.

This is not a debate but a real question.

I want Smith to succeed and do damage, but even Andy Reid doing everything in his power to give him full autonomy and encourage him to be more aggressive isn't doing anything.

There's gonna come a time when he needs to open it up to win. He did it successfully vs. the Saints, but since that game going forward he has not as we all witnessed in the NFCC and 2012 games against Minnesota and NYG.

This season will probably end up like 2011 for him. It's up to him next season to take the next step (I know, broken record) otherwise it will be more of the same and his career as a starter will be in danger.

Um, you better check the bold once again.

As for Smith "having it in him" one or two games in a career doesn't mean a player is capable of doing something on call.

I can totally understand why Chiefs fans are not buying into their QB or their offense. They know their schedule is easy right now and these wins are nice but they are struggling and still haven't been tested yet. That is not good. That will get them a worse draft pick and be sort of a "phony" team.

If the Niners offense was barely doing anything vs weak teams, I would also worry but they had a brutal schedule and they are worse off at the WR position...so there's time.
Share 49ersWebzone