LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

I'm not going to call any individuals out - that's just a way to get warnings from the mods. I'm talking about a dynamic going on around here and everyone knows what I'm talking about. If you don't know, you haven't been paying attention. There is a certain group of posters around here who seem to relish taking snide digs at our current QB - not so subtle jabs at him questioning his production and even his intelligence. Remarks often take on the character of a "if he's supposed to be so good why isn't he doing this or why is he doing that..." kind of thing. Sometimes, these remarks will even compare him to Brady or Manning as if the potential people were excited about should have lifted him to their level by now. If you take a quick look on any day at the thread under Niner Talk about our current QB, you should see what I'm talking about. It's no coincidence that most of the snide little digs at our current QB are posted by some of the same fans who spend a lot of time on this thread. So naturally, some other fans want to come here to this thread and get their shots in as well.

Let's not pretend we don't know what I'm talking about. By the same token, there are Niner fans who have never thought much of Alex Smith, fans who had a tendency during the first five years of his Niner time to overlook the many extenuating circumstances surrounding his efforts. It's part of the old thing about the QB getting too much blame when things are going bad and too much credit when things are going well. And, we all know that there were lots of local Niner fans who were bitter about Smith from the beginning because they were Cal fans and wanted the team to take Rodgers.

Everyone wants to think their views are vindicated; that they were right all along. For example, I look at the last couple years of Smith's time with the Niners as vindication that I was right to think he was a lot better than many people thought and with the right coaching and system, he could flourish in the NFL. But, he's moved on. I wish him well and I have a new Niner QB to support now. So, here's a suggestion for some fans around here: have fun with your second team. Whatever. But, try to resist the urge to tear down the new Niner QB with snide remarks and unreasonable expectations. Everyone has a right to criticize, but when you go over there and do it, try not to act like you're saying "I told you so."
If you call folks out politely, using informative rather than inciteful comments, you won't be warned or banned.

Do I detect a certain amount of tit for tat? Sure. Some of us recall the hateful and ridiculous comments over the years and those same posters are now defending CK in the same manner they felt compelled to ridicule in the past. So be it. I really don't care and find it easy to ignore those comments...from both sides. But if you try and say the two versions were equal? I would take exception.

The reason I pointed out the need to limit generalizations is that every poster has their own perspective, and while there may, at times, be some ganging up, even that is less unanimous than individual. I have had heated debates with a number of posters who I respect, but there are others (many banned now) who I stopped conversing with totally. Just didn't seem to want to be fair or try to understand a different point of view. But, if they become more reasonable down the road I'll not hold a grudge.
Anyway, I think the Chiefs are going to 6-0 tomorrow. I don't see the Raiders going into KC and scoring on that defense and I think Smith can move the ball up and down the field on the Raiders.
And of course if you make a legitimate critique of our current QB a lot of people will just assume that you're slamming him because you used to like Smith.

There are a number of posters who simply feel that if you're going to replace a qb, it should be with someone who is better now. Kaep appeared to be last season...he doesn't appear to be this season. That alone is cause for concern...regardless of your opinion of what Smith is or wasn't or should have been.

b***hing about Smith is like crying over spilt milk. It's worthless. Replacing Kap would be dumb as well..we no longer have anyone on the roster worth while.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
And of course if you make a legitimate critique of our current QB a lot of people will just assume that you're slamming him because you used to like Smith.

There are a number of posters who simply feel that if you're going to replace a qb, it should be with someone who is better now. Kaep appeared to be last season...he doesn't appear to be this season. That alone is cause for concern...regardless of your opinion of what Smith is or wasn't or should have been.

b***hing about Smith is like crying over spilt milk. It's worthless. Replacing Kap would be dumb as well..we no longer have anyone on the roster worth while.
you cant be serious. people giving up on kap already is ridiculous. we have no receivers and he hasnt even played a full season yet. give the dude a chance. a guy with that much physical talent would start for most teams in the league except for the broncos, pats, saints and maybe one or two others. kap is legit
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

you cant be serious. people giving up on kap already is ridiculous. we have no receivers and he hasnt even played a full season yet. give the dude a chance. a guy with that much physical talent would start for most teams in the league except for the broncos, pats, saints and maybe one or two others. kap is legit

I think I just said that replacing Kap would be dumb...so not quite sure what you're saying....

But that's b******t about us having no receivers. Kap isn't reading the D and seeing the open guys. As for giving the guy a chance who hasn't even played a full season, the argument goes, "you don't replace a guy unless you have someone who is better today"...give him some more time doesn't cut it. With that said, we don't have a choice...there's no one better on the roster.

We don't know that Kap is legit. I want to believe he is, but it is possible that he is a flash in the pan and now Defenses have his number.

But we're off topic so I'm not going to continue repeating what I've already said in the Kap thread.
Read this some where.. "THE DEFENSE CARRYYSS ALEX SMITH"......... CHIEFS RUN DEFENSE IS RANKED 23RD......
Alex Smith is going to shaft the Raiders and then his Raiderette wife. And put the video of both on the internet.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by KoolBeans:
Dude, maybe we are the same person. I was just thinking the same thing. I know from watching their games they have a ton of 3rd and 1's, I'm willing to bet that Jamaal is accountable for most of those failed 3rd down conversions. Can you do this for the 9ers as well?

Depends on how much time I have.. maybe. I don't really care about the SF issues at play. We all know what the problem is with that offense... and it isn't the run game.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&type=Rushing&rank=071&year=

Alex Smith ranks 20th in the AFC (3/9) for rushing. JC doesn't rank for rushing. H'es 1 for 4 on 3rd and short (less than 3).
Passing:
In the NFL Alex ranks 18th for 3rd and long 6/21
In the NFL Alex ranks 20th for 3rd and medium 12/27
In the NFL Alex ranks 16th for 3rd and short 3/6

Basic Math:
25 1sts 75 Attempts 33.3% Total 3rd down conversions (ESPN.com)
63 attempts from Alex = 12 attempts by Jamaal Charles
24 Successes by Alex smith = 1 success by Jamaal Charles.

So Jamaal Charles has failed to run for a 1st down with the exception of a single 3rd and short situation.

It is obvious that the only thing Alex is doing to help KC win is not turning the ball over. Any uber safe QB can with with the talent on this team. Any careless team on my shoulders QB can lose with this team.

It is Alex's way of play that has made this team better. I agree to that. This does not make him a top QB. This is also why he won't win in the playoffs...

...unless his team around him plays lights out.

If you ever quote me on that last sentence, do not leave out the second portion of it. "Real" Chiefs fans will eventually realize they need an upgrade at QB. The bandwaggoner's will blame 52 of the 53 players that are suited every week.

if you have actually watched their games he has made plays when it counts...clutch...the 3rd down pass from the end zone has been talked about here...last week after the titans go ahead he marches the team downfield....long 4th quarter drives have been prevalent this year for the chiefs
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
We can now bank on that second round pick.

To draft a QB?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not going to call any individuals out - that's just a way to get warnings from the mods. I'm talking about a dynamic going on around here and everyone knows what I'm talking about. If you don't know, you haven't been paying attention. There is a certain group of posters around here who seem to relish taking snide digs at our current QB - not so subtle jabs at him questioning his production and even his intelligence. Remarks often take on the character of a "if he's supposed to be so good why isn't he doing this or why is he doing that..." kind of thing. Sometimes, these remarks will even compare him to Brady or Manning as if the potential people were excited about should have lifted him to their level by now. If you take a quick look on any day at the thread under Niner Talk about our current QB, you should see what I'm talking about. It's no coincidence that most of the snide little digs at our current QB are posted by some of the same fans who spend a lot of time on this thread. So naturally, some other fans want to come here to this thread and get their shots in as well.

Let's not pretend we don't know what I'm talking about. By the same token, there are Niner fans who have never thought much of Alex Smith, fans who had a tendency during the first five years of his Niner time to overlook the many extenuating circumstances surrounding his efforts. It's part of the old thing about the QB getting too much blame when things are going bad and too much credit when things are going well. And, we all know that there were lots of local Niner fans who were bitter about Smith from the beginning because they were Cal fans and wanted the team to take Rodgers.

Everyone wants to think their views are vindicated; that they were right all along. For example, I look at the last couple years of Smith's time with the Niners as vindication that I was right to think he was a lot better than many people thought and with the right coaching and system, he could flourish in the NFL. But, he's moved on. I wish him well and I have a new Niner QB to support now. So, here's a suggestion for some fans around here: have fun with your second team. Whatever. But, try to resist the urge to tear down the new Niner QB with snide remarks and unreasonable expectations. Everyone has a right to criticize, but when you go over there and do it, try not to act like you're saying "I told you so."

On this iPad thingy, so I can't cut from your post. I just want to comment on your last paragraph. Who are you to tell people what their reasonable expectations for Kaep should be? I ask that not in a snide or angry way...just puzzled. Too much vagueness when you don't say who it is you are speaking of. I pop into the Kaep thread from time to time..to question an excuse given or express that I want more out of him. That should not be a problem to do so. I don't like being labeled a hater or instigator just because I clearly like "the other guy"...that's not fair. I legitimately want Kaep to be great...just like the other 98 percent of SF fans.

I have zero interest in vindication or causing division her anymore. To me, Smith has already proven the detractors wrong these last few years...so there is no motivation for me. The hate here is all one-sided...at least from the regulars here. We can't control it if some newb shows up to stir up the hate.
Originally posted by hofer36:
if you have actually watched their games he has made plays when it counts...clutch...the 3rd down pass from the end zone has been talked about here...last week after the titans go ahead he marches the team downfield....long 4th quarter drives have been prevalent this year for the chiefs

Yep. The offense is often self-destructive, but they have been putting together the drives they need when they need it. Great to know that they can struggle early like this, and still win or even easily win vs opponents. By their bye week, the offense should be rolling along in a high gear...just when they need to be.
Cmon Chiefs! Get the win! Quest for 8 baby!!
I came in here to talk about the Chiefs and Raiders and oh god you fellas are nuts man...what the hell.

anyway, as much as I'm looking forward to the Chiefs getting to 8 wins, and heck upsetting and taking Best Manning's division...I think this might be the week where they get their first lost. I think the Raiders will take a conservative approach and just constantly run the ball and play defense. They usually get up for these AFC West type games, even in KC. Its going to be interesting especially with the KC fans attempt today to beat Seattle's noise record.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I came in here to talk about the Chiefs and Raiders and oh god you fellas are nuts man...what the hell.

anyway, as much as I'm looking forward to the Chiefs getting to 8 wins, and heck upsetting and taking Best Manning's division...I think this might be the week where they get their first lost. I think the Raiders will take a conservative approach and just constantly run the ball and play defense. They usually get up for these AFC West type games, even in KC. Its going to be interesting especially with the KC fans attempt today to beat Seattle's noise record.

I can see them winning, but it would IMO be a mistake for the Raiders to expect success on the ground. It's going to have to be because of Pryor's backyard balling and either hitting some big 9 routers or getting the D.P.I. for them. I'll say,

KC --- 27
OAK - 13
Share 49ersWebzone