LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

He brought up Kaepernick. I didn't. If you don't mind me saying this, some of you guys need to calm down about this tendency you have to feel you need to defend Alex Smith. Nobody needs to defend Smith. It would be refreshing if some of you would allow that a Niner fan could support both players. I'm just an honest Niner fan. I support the team. I root for the team first and the individual players second. I wish him well because I think he's a genuinely great individual. My goal is not in any way to demean or dismiss him. I think he's an awesome athlete and one of the toughest QB's the Niners have ever had. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he seems to me to be the toughest Niner QB since Brodie and I've got specific reasons for saying that. I'd be happy to share the toughness observations in detail, but this is going way too long. Nobody likes long posts around here.

My post to you was not an accusation of whether you like, attack, or defend Smith. You have stated your position many times now, and people either believe or disbelieve you on that. My post to you was simply that whether initiated by you or not, I distinctly recall the mods asking us not to make direct comparisons, and dragging Kaep's name into this thread. If someone does, then that doesn't really give someone else free reign to do so either. My intent to be a jr. mod? Hell no. The intent is just to remind people to leave Kaep out of this and play nice... as I don't want to feel "forced" into being that 2nd guy to get caught and then ejected from the game.

( now, I'd use one of my wink and peace sign smilies, but I fear that would be misconstrued )

if i can read between the lines, i think what you're saying is that posting something that rekindles the kaepernick-smith debate is akin to starting a land war in asia--am I correct?
Originally posted by hofer36:
if i can read between the lines, i think what you're saying is that posting something that rekindles the kaepernick-smith debate is akin to starting a land war in asia--am I correct?

... yeah, let's go with that.

The Tony Gonzalez trade rumors die down before they really even got started. The Atlanta Falcons TE and former KC Chiefs TE told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he does NOT want to be traded.
Here's the message from Glazer:
I've seen a lot of tweets w rumors that Falcons should trade Tony Gonzalez, just got off the phone w him he absolutely does NOT want that. Wants to finish up in ATL

"Fine, Tony... be that way, who needs ya?!? Sean McGrath is awesome ANYWAY!"

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/10/8/4817382/tony-gonzalez-trade-rumors-chiefs-falcons
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

He brought up Kaepernick. I didn't. If you don't mind me saying this, some of you guys need to calm down about this tendency you have to feel you need to defend Alex Smith. Nobody needs to defend Smith. It would be refreshing if some of you would allow that a Niner fan could support both players. I'm just an honest Niner fan. I support the team. I root for the team first and the individual players second. I wish him well because I think he's a genuinely great individual. My goal is not in any way to demean or dismiss him. I think he's an awesome athlete and one of the toughest QB's the Niners have ever had. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he seems to me to be the toughest Niner QB since Brodie and I've got specific reasons for saying that. I'd be happy to share the toughness observations in detail, but this is going way too long. Nobody likes long posts around here.

My post to you was not an accusation of whether you like, attack, or defend Smith. You have stated your position many times now, and people either believe or disbelieve you on that. My post to you was simply that whether initiated by you or not, I distinctly recall the mods asking us not to make direct comparisons, and dragging Kaep's name into this thread. If someone does, then that doesn't really give someone else free reign to do so either. My intent to be a jr. mod? Hell no. The intent is just to remind people to leave Kaep out of this and play nice... as I don't want to feel "forced" into being that 2nd guy to get caught and then ejected from the game.

( now, I'd use one of my wink and peace sign smilies, but I fear that would be misconstrued )

Sportswriters are getting into the discussion now too. I don't see how it can be avoided with Smith currently outplaying Kap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/1362/smith-over-kaepernick-really
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is nothing lucky about him. He makes the right decisions, reads the field well and doesn't turn it over. That's winning football. He was always underrated on this board and now the haters are getting punched in the mouth. They look pretty stupid at this point. They said he could never do it with another team. It was just the 49ers talent around him. Well he just went to a 2 - 14 team. Worst team in the league. And they 5 - 0. The only significant change is Alex Smith. It's fair to say he has A LOT to do with it.....

kudos to Smith, but the Chiefs defense is NUMBER 1 in the NFL and Andy Reid gets huge credit

The Chiefs were last in the league (tied with the Eagles) with -24 turnovers in 2012, now they're first with +10.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM ]
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
The Chiefs were last in the league (tied with the Eagles) with -24 turnovers in 2012, now they're first with +10.

That would happen when your starting QB doesn't turn the ball over 27 times (Cassel 12 INT 6 FUM, Quinn 8 INT 1 FUM)
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is nothing lucky about him. He makes the right decisions, reads the field well and doesn't turn it over. That's winning football. He was always underrated on this board and now the haters are getting punched in the mouth. They look pretty stupid at this point. They said he could never do it with another team. It was just the 49ers talent around him. Well he just went to a 2 - 14 team. Worst team in the league. And they 5 - 0. The only significant change is Alex Smith. It's fair to say he has A LOT to do with it.....

kudos to Smith, but the Chiefs defense is NUMBER 1 in the NFL and Andy Reid gets huge credit

Yep, the Chiefs defense is really playing well.
I believe Smith's style of football really helps a defense stay fresh.
Ball control, high percentage passing mixed with solid run game keeps the opposing offense on the sidelines.

He looks to be taking a few shots downfield, at least this last game. That is good for him and his team.
Should help keep defenses honest down the road... if he continues to do that.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
12, they lose vs Texans, @ Broncos, @ Redskins, vs Colts.

imo, the 2013 Chiefs really remind me of the 2011 49ers.... defense and special teams. Offense...well they have a home run threat at RB at any given time..but no where near close at TE...at receiver they have a better bunch imo.

I think they'll beat the Texans...unless Schaub, tries to play like Alex. Texans can stop the run. If Andy is not creative, then Alex is going to need to hit his 3rd down passes against the Texans.

and I personally think they can beat the Broncos as well, NOT SAYING THEY WILL..lol..... some forget but the Chiefs a couple of years ago, stopped the undefeated high powered Packers...and that was with God knows who at QB..Cassell or another Backup.

I just think they can beat most teams, like the 2011 49ers were able to, as long as the opposing team plays undisciplined. 49ers lost to the Ravens that year Thanksgiving night because they played focused. They didn't take sacks, were patient with the run, took care of the ball, and converted key 3rd downs in the second half.

However Alex has shown this year that, although he might be careful with the ball...when the game gets close again...he will attack here and there. Like that 3rd and long vs the Eagles was it? and he threw it beyond the 1st down marker. As well as some mentioned in the Titans game...backed up against their own endzone...old Alex, just make room for the punter.....Chiefs Alex though took a shot deep and connected.

so yeah there is no guarantee that even if you do play smart on offense, that you can beat the Chiefs...but imo, that is your best chance.
So are the Chiefs gonna re-acquire Tony Gonzalez or does he come back to the bay?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
So are the Chiefs gonna re-acquire Tony Gonzalez or does he come back to the bay?

hope we can get rid of Celek, and bring him here. Hopefully can teach McDonald how to use his body.

OH BOY just thinking of 3TE sets with Vernon, McDonald, and Gonzalez....forget those Jumbo formations with an extra Lineman... we can run out of the 3TE set and pass out of it.

I just feel Gonzalez would find open spots in the middle of the field for checkdown plays for Kap.

but would Roman know how to use him?

edit- forgot where I was at... I'm taking this post to niner talk...lol...would love to get him.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]

sounds like Tony G is staying put in Atlanta to finish out his final year.

Travis Kelce's knee injury could cost him the entire season for the Kansas City Chiefs

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/10/9/4820778/travis-kelce-knee-injury-season-kansas-city-chiefs
The injury saga of KC Chiefs rookie TE Travis Kelce has taken another twist. He could be out for the rest of the season. Kelce, who has yet to play any offensive snaps this season, had knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon. Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey have not yet decided what they will do with him but ending his season early is a possibility. In fact, I would guess that's what they're going to do at some point. Kelce's knee injury first popped up in training camp. He had an MRI and they determined it was a bone bruise in his knee. But whenever Kelce tried to make a come back to the field, he kept having setbacks. More MRIs were done and they continued to show the bone bruise. He was fine running when attempting to rehab, but he couldn't get in and out of his stance when he put weight on his knee."Yesterday," Burkholder told the media on Wednesday, "[Kelce] had arthroscopic surgery on his knee. He did find he had a spot on his cartilage at the end of his femur bone. That didn't know up on his MRI but when [the doctor] went in with the scope he could see it. That spot in his knee is in a non-weight bearing area, which is why he could run without pain but couldn't get in and out of his stance, had to have a micro-fracture procedure."Is this a season-ending injury? "Anytime you have knee surgery there's that chance," Burkholder said. Reid didn't say whether the Chiefs would IR him or not -- they're going to take their time -- but the impression I got is that that's a strong likelihood.
Travis Kelce's knee injury could cost him the entire season for the Kansas City Chiefs

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/10/9/4820778/travis-kelce-knee-injury-season-kansas-city-chiefs
The injury saga of KC Chiefs rookie TE Travis Kelce has taken another twist. He could be out for the rest of the season. Kelce, who has yet to play any offensive snaps this season, had knee surgery on Tuesday afternoon. Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey have not yet decided what they will do with him but ending his season early is a possibility. In fact, I would guess that's what they're going to do at some point. Kelce's knee injury first popped up in training camp. He had an MRI and they determined it was a bone bruise in his knee. But whenever Kelce tried to make a come back to the field, he kept having setbacks. More MRIs were done and they continued to show the bone bruise. He was fine running when attempting to rehab, but he couldn't get in and out of his stance when he put weight on his knee."Yesterday," Burkholder told the media on Wednesday, "[Kelce] had arthroscopic surgery on his knee. He did find he had a spot on his cartilage at the end of his femur bone. That didn't know up on his MRI but when [the doctor] went in with the scope he could see it. That spot in his knee is in a non-weight bearing area, which is why he could run without pain but couldn't get in and out of his stance, had to have a micro-fracture procedure."Is this a season-ending injury? "Anytime you have knee surgery there's that chance," Burkholder said. Reid didn't say whether the Chiefs would IR him or not -- they're going to take their time -- but the impression I got is that that's a strong likelihood.

Moeaki 2.0. Never expected him to return this year from injury.
Originally posted by drakan:

pitiful shame... especially with Fasano nursing his knee all season, and Bowe being lackadaisical now that he has his fat, long-term contract.
Originally posted by drakan:

This...

Especially now.

sounds like Tony G is staying put in Atlanta to finish out his final year.

I think he just did what mature players do: not creating a big fuss. If the Chiefs FO approached the Falcons to seek a deal, then his statement would mean entirely different thing.
Share 49ersWebzone