LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

• dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm sure they're going to get to 8 wins, so now I'd like to see the Chiefs lose some games so that the pick is as high as possible. I see 2 games against the Chargers, 2 against the Broncos, 1 against the Colts and 1 against the Texans coming up for the Chiefs. They've also got games at the Titans and at the Redskins. I'd like to see them lose six of those 8 games. Losing 8 of them would be better, but that's too much to hope for. 10-6 at least gets the Niners into the high teens or low 20's on the second round pick.

It will all depend on injuries. If Smith and Charles stay healthy, 10 wins look like it might be low. Avery has really stepped up his game. Bowe is demanding double teams much of the time. Fasano along with Kelce should be back in another week. Eric Fisher was just beginning to play better and now is out with a concussion. That will slow his progress a bit but he has too much raw talent not to be a force in the second half of the season. Going to be interesting. This thread will continue to roll along.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
I guess the 49er defense carried Joe Montana all those years as well. His LIFETIME QB rating is 93 and completion % is 63. Almost identical to Smith's last three years.

Montana led the league in passing or was in the top five in '84, '87, '89, '90 (there might be more years). Yes, he had some very good defenses, but let's not pretend that Smith's QB rating over the last 3 years puts him anywhere near Joe Montana. That's just silly and it's a textbook example of silly applications for statistics.
I was only using that to point out that the fallacy in 49ATT's retort on defense carrying that team. However, it IS worth noting that Smith's rating is the same as Montana's during that time, and that Smith's teams have won an overwhelming number of games.

It's a team sport but QB is the most important position on the team. KC's roster changed only at QB this year and they went from a pathetic loser to undefeated with only that change. So we can talk about Andy Reid, and he has helped change the culture but let's not fool ourselves. This KC team would not be a .500 team with Brady Quinn at QB again this year.
  • Salty
  • Veteran
Montana led the league in passing or was in the top five in '84, '87, '89, '90 (there might be more years). Montana was first team All-Pro three times and was invited to 8 pro bowls. Yes, he had some very good defenses, but let's not pretend that Smith's QB rating over the last 3 years puts him anywhere near Joe Montana. That's just silly and it's a textbook example of silly applications for statistics.

We should also not pretend that playing QB today is anything like playing QB back in the 80's. Matt Stafford has thrown for like 10k yards over the past two seasons. Are we ready to start comparing him to Favre and Elway?
[ Edited by Salty on Oct 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
It will all depend on injuries. If Smith and Charles stay healthy, 10 wins look like it might be low. Avery has really stepped up his game. Bowe is demanding double teams much of the time. Fasano along with Kelce should be back in another week. Eric Fisher was just beginning to play better and now is out with a concussion. That will slow his progress a bit but he has too much raw talent not to be a force in the second half of the season. Going to be interesting. This thread will continue to roll along.

Schedule has something to do with things as well. They haven't seen anything like the Broncos, Chargers or Texans yet. What I find most impressive about them so far is holding the Eagles offense to 16 points (I think that's what it was). The Eagles are a top five offense. On the other hand, the Eagles defense is at the bottom of the league and the Chiefs only scored 17 on them. I'm pretty hopeful and pretty sure that teams like the Broncos, Chargers, Texans and Colts are going to bring the Chiefs back down to earth.
I was only using that to point out that the fallacy in 49ATT's retort on defense carrying that team. However, it IS worth noting that Smith's rating is the same as Montana's during that time, and that Smith's teams have won an overwhelming number of games.

It's a team sport but QB is the most important position on the team. KC's roster changed only at QB this year and they went from a pathetic loser to undefeated with only that change. So we can talk about Andy Reid, and he has helped change the culture but let's not fool ourselves. This KC team would not be a .500 team with Brady Quinn at QB again this year.

Completely agree. Smith doesn't make mistakes and Reid is a much better coach. That was already a good defense. So the wildcard is obviously the QB and HC.
Originally posted by Salty:
We should also not pretend that playing QB today is anything like playing QB back in the 80's. Matt Stafford has thrown for like 10k yards over the past two seasons. Are we ready to start comparing him to Favre and Elway?

Great point. Defenses in the 80's were and, more importantly, were ALLOWED to be much more punishing especially to pass offense. Montana would take vicious shots to the head. Lott would de-cleat receivers 2 or 3 times a game.
  • Salty
  • Veteran
Great point. Defenses in the 80's were and, more importantly, were ALLOWED to be much more punishing especially to pass offense. Montana would take vicious shots to the head. Lott would de-cleat receivers 2 or 3 times a game.

Offensive players literally had to fear the repercussions for what they were trying to do. If you trotted out a team that was trying to win games by throwing 40+ passes a week your roster would not survive the season
[ Edited by Salty on Oct 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
  • dj43

Schedule has something to do with things as well. They haven't seen anything like the Broncos, Chargers or Texans yet. What I find most impressive about them so far is holding the Eagles offense to 16 points (I think that's what it was). The Eagles are a top five offense. On the other hand, the Eagles defense is at the bottom of the league and the Chiefs only scored 17 on them. I'm pretty hopeful and pretty sure that teams like the Broncos, Chargers, Texans and Colts are going to bring the Chiefs back down to earth.

I agree the Broncos, Texans and Colts will be big tests. Not so sure about the Chargers although they are playing much better this year than last.

As to the Eagles game; it appeared to me that everything the Chiefs were doing in that game was geared to just holding onto the ball, burning up clock and keeping the Eagles offense off the field. I felt they could have been more aggressive in both alignments and passing choices but they chose to place emphasis on possession rather than trying for longer gains. Walsh strategy: Get a lead. Sit on the ball as long as you could. People forget how "conservative" Walsh would get with a lead. I remember seeing Montana get 200 yards in a great first half and thinking he might go for 400. Then the second half started and he only threw the ball 5 or 6 times and ended up with 240 yards...but they won.
I agree the Broncos, Texans and Colts will be big tests. Not so sure about the Chargers although they are playing much better this year than last.

As to the Eagles game; it appeared to me that everything the Chiefs were doing in that game was geared to just holding onto the ball, burning up clock and keeping the Eagles offense off the field. I felt they could have been more aggressive in both alignments and passing choices but they chose to place emphasis on possession rather than trying for longer gains. Walsh strategy: Get a lead. Sit on the ball as long as you could. People forget how "conservative" Walsh would get with a lead. I remember seeing Montana get 200 yards in a great first half and thinking he might go for 400. Then the second half started and he only threw the ball 5 or 6 times and ended up with 240 yards...but they won.

I agree with you on that typical Walsh game plan - throw early, get a decent lead and then burn the clock - it's classic football. But actually, Montana had an awful lot of plus 300 yard games. He's 9th on the all time list of the number of over 300 yards passing in a game for a career.
I didn't expect the Chiefs to be doing this well. I thought they'd be better than last year, but this is really something. But, the bottom line is that a Niner fan wants the Niners to get the most value possible out of that trade so I'd like to see them take a bit of a dive from this point out. There was never any chance of a high second rounder because, by definition, 8 wins would get the Chiefs into the middle of the pack. Best case scenario right now looks like 9-7 or 10-6 because I don't expect them to lose 8 of their last 12 games. That would be too much to expect. It's possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
This is a Chiefs thread, the worst team out of all 32 teams last year ..to hear that they will be a power house next year is amusing and i like reading it

Originally posted by NinerG94:
Chiefs are going to surprise a lot of people this season. While I don't think anyone will beat Denver for the division title I expect KC to give them a run and come up just short. It will all depend on whether or not the current coaching staff can bring out the talent of that defense. Make no mistake about it, there is a ton of talent on that roster on both sides of the ball. Should be interesting. Love to see them knock the Broncos around in KC at the very least. GO CHIEFS! FUNK DENVER!!

Chiefs will surprise or will Alex surprise ?

we all seen what the Chiefs can do

too easy

Yes KC schedule has been easier then expected

Wrong. The Chiefs have the very schedule everyone expected them to have: the team with the lowest number of wins plays other teams with low numbers of wins. The expectation around the league is that the large majority of teams will have a shot at a .500 mark until the final couple of weeks of the season. In the case of the Chiefs, most recognized it was a talented roster that had been saddled with a terrible QB and lousy HC, consequently, they had underachieved.

If the Chiefs have "surprised" anyone it is that they had not followed the career of Alex Smith over the past 2 1/2 years and/or they overlooked the years of consistently good teams Reid produced in Philly. For those who really followed the NFL beyond their own home town favorite, they realized KC had a very talented roster (6 Pro Bowlers) except for QB, and they recognized that Andy Reid was one of the best coaches in the league but had run into injury and attitude problems with a team composed of a bunch of "superstars."

As a result, KC solved their QB problem by trading for a QB that is custom made for Reid's offense, and the combination of that plus the talent already on the roster, has yielded exactly the results knowledgeable football people expected.
Having a good defense did not solve their QB situation..AS is in the same position as he was with the 9ers in 2011..bandaid till someone better comes along

AS has kept them from giving up the ball...but he's also not marching down field as well

when your defense is playing well as the kc defense is playing why do you want to march down field, that is take risks and try to force throws....that makes no sense, the risk is greater than the reward
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I didn't expect the Chiefs to be doing this well. I thought they'd be better than last year, but this is really something. But, the bottom line is that a Niner fan wants the Niners to get the most value possible out of that trade so I'd like to see them take a bit of a dive from this point out. There was never any chance of a high second rounder because, by definition, 8 wins would get the Chiefs into the middle of the pack. Best case scenario right now looks like 9-7 or 10-6 because I don't expect them to lose 8 of their last 12 games. That would be too much to expect. It's possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Difference maker is definitely Andy Reid and Alex Smith. Mistakes have been minimal and they're pretty healthy as of right now.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Difference maker is definitely Andy Reid and Alex Smith. Mistakes have been minimal and they're pretty healthy as of right now.

You can't argue with that. Defense is basically the same as last year - good. But the offense is efficient, fairly productive and not giving things away. Smith's numbers have been rising each game - he's getting better every week. Like I say, it's gotten to the point where I'm no longer rooting for them to win. I want them to lose some games now to sweeten up the position of that second round pick the Niners will get and they are entering a more challenging part of their schedule coming up.
KC vs Titans. I think this should be a good game. Two evenly matched teams. Which ever one to win this one should be regarded as legit contender to make the playoff. Good turn around for both.
  • dj43

I agree with you on that typical Walsh game plan - throw early, get a decent lead and then burn the clock - it's classic football. But actually, Montana had an awful lot of plus 300 yard games. He's 9th on the all time list of the number of over 300 yards passing in a game for a career.

Yes, Joe did have a lot of 300 yard games. He played a long time with some outstanding receivers. However, I believe I read someplace that he was about .500 in 300 yard games. Even now, the guy with the most passing yards is often the loser.
Share 49ersWebzone