LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

I'm a little late to the party, but is the argument really about a 3rd round pick being better than a second round pick (or it not making a difference)?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm a little late to the party, but is the argument really about a 3rd round pick being better than a second round pick (or it not making a difference)?

A pick's worth is ultimately the selection. It can be better or worse.

Mays compared to Bowman, Smiley compared to Gore
Originally posted by tjd808185:

A pick's worth is ultimately the selection. It can be better or worse.

Mays compared to Bowman, Smiley compared to Gore

I understand the point you are trying to make but to me the logic is flawed. Tom Brady was a 6th rd pick and Ryan leaf was a 1st, so 6 is better than 1? Of course not, like you said it comes down to the player picked (unless you are trading up) and if you have a good gm you want him to have as much firepower in that draft room as possible.
Originally posted by KegBert:
I understand the point you are trying to make but to me the logic is flawed. Tom Brady was a 6th rd pick and Ryan leaf was a 1st, so 6 is better than 1? Of course not, like you said it comes down to the player picked (unless you are trading up) and if you have a good gm you want him to have as much firepower in that draft room as possible.

Fair point, but there's generally a big difference between the talent pool from round 1 to round 6. That gap just isn't as big from rounds 2 and 3. The odds of finding a Tom Brady in the draft is slim pickings. Rooting for the Chiefs to win or lose based off a conditional pick is silly. It's silly to root for draft position in the first place. KC is going to do what they're going to do and we'll get a pick. I won't side track this any further.

I know most people in this thread are actually rooting for Alex and KC and want to discuss how he and the Chiefs are doing.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Fair point, but there's generally a big difference between the talent pool from round 1 to round 6. That gap just isn't as big from rounds 2 and 3. The odds of finding a Tom Brady in the draft is slim pickings. Rooting for the Chiefs to win or lose based off a conditional pick is silly. It's silly to root for draft position in the first place. KC is going to do what they're going to do and we'll get a pick. I won't side track this any further.

I know most people in this thread are actually rooting for Alex and KC and want to discuss how he and the Chiefs are doing.

It's a team in another division (how well they do has no bearing on the 9ers) and a same slot pick in the 2nd round compared to the 3rd round is inarguably more valuable in either selection or in trade. Unlike 3rd round picks, 2nd round picks get traded for future first round picks for a reason.

That drafting is imperfect and a random 3rd round pick might outperform a random 2nd round pick is a banal observation.

That said, agreed that there are also other reasons (being a fan of Alex) that someone might hope the Chiefs do well.

Basically there are several reasons -- some selfish for the 9ers, some based on fandom for Alex -- why a 9ers fan might root for the Chiefs to do well. There's nothing silly about it, although I do think saying that rooting for a higher pick is "silly" is pretty silly in itself. ;)
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
It's a team in another division (how well they do has no bearing on the 9ers) and a same slot pick in the 2nd round compared to the 3rd round is inarguably more valuable in either selection or in trade. Unlike 3rd round picks, 2nd round picks get traded for future first round picks for a reason.

That drafting is imperfect and a random 3rd round pick might outperform a random 2nd round pick is a banal observation.

That said, agreed that there are also other reasons (being a fan of Alex) that someone might hope the Chiefs do well.

Basically there are several reasons -- some selfish for the 9ers, some based on fandom for Alex -- why a 9ers fan might root for the Chiefs to do well. There's nothing silly about it, although I do think saying that rooting for a higher pick is "silly" is pretty silly in itself. ;)

How many of instances of late 2nd rounders being traded into 1st rounders can you find? That kind of trade or trading into the top 12 with one are few and far between. They generally require a desperate partner.

Don't get me wrong here if he get a 2nd rounder awesome, but I'm not going to put on a KC jersey or root for the Chiefs for a conditional pick. It's not that big of a deal. Like last year we already can move up and down with ease.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM ]
A 2nd is better than a 3rd. Case closed. Now if you want to say that the margin is small enough to justify your continuing to root for another team / player that's fine.

I was going to root for Alex and the Chiefs regardless.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Run…Run…and Run, but with More Passing

http://chiefconcerns.com/run-run-and-run-but-with-more-passing/

(homer. rah rah stuff, but damn, it is a boring time of the year)

Sounds a lot like 49ers fans back when they drafted Anthony Davis and Iupati for the line. Everyone thinking Gore will have an awesome line to open up holes for him. But it took a better coaching staff for that also. Singletary and Raye couldn't do s**t with it. They just became more predictable than before. The Chiefs having the players, but I think Reid and his coaching staff is the key.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Sounds a lot like 49ers fans back when they drafted Anthony Davis and Iupati for the line. Everyone thinking Gore will have an awesome line to open up holes for him. But it took a better coaching staff for that also. Singletary and Raye couldn't do s**t with it. They just became more predictable than before. The Chiefs having the players, but I think Reid and his coaching staff is the key.

Oh, for sure. Sounds like the mini-camp tempo and creativity was at a very high level so far. I'm sure many teams' fans have that burning optimism about the "hype" generated from news so far... but I get the feeling KC might be building something quite special. And hey, if not? We will always have the Niners going strong. I can't see them not having a good year.

16-0

maybe it should be settled like that tv commercial (t-mobile) with the guy at the table, usually with 4 kids, asking them probing questions like what is better, fast or slow...he could ask them what is better a 2nd or 3rd rd pick and see what the adorable lil kids say
Strong run game, solid Oline and a go to target.. Sound familiar? Alex gonna put up some Ws for da chiefs .. Book it
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Strong run game, solid Oline and a go to target.. Sound familiar? Alex gonna put up some Ws for da chiefs .. Book it

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Just can't stay away, can you!

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Just can't stay away, can you!

Why do i need to stay away
Share 49ersWebzone