LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Oh...and so much for the Giants being Alex's Achilles heel...he killed them.
Left this place for a little bit... it turned into a GNC for the geriatric. WTF! Even the mods are involved

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
You are aware that winning games has a negative impact on your SOS, right?

Obviously, but these teams sucked last year.

Giants were 9-7 2012. Cowboys were 8-8. Eagles and Jags did suck.

Please note that the niners only beat 2 teams..both with losing records. Just saying.

Giants lost some key players. Cowboys are the toughest team KC has played and they did not make the playoffs. Cowboys are also a very well known inconsistent team. The strength of the opponent usually factors into stats. Personally, I think KC was already a very well grounded team in terms of talent and all they needed was a refocus on playing keep away and running the ball. They got the perfect QB for that. The bigger question will be if they can beat playoff caliber team. I think they can, but eventually, consistently beating the better teams eventually requires more offensive potency.

Another thing KC really has going for them is confidence. The more they win, the more they will believe in the system and themselves and even this can help beat better teams. I think SEA will also be a strong road team because they already have two road wins. Their confidence level is raising and the mental block on the road, I think, is deteriorating with each win they get.

If I can't watch the Niners win, second best is watching the Cowboys or the Giants lose!

Result, KC.
Originally posted by English:

If I can't watch the Niners win, second best is watching the Cowboys or the Giants lose!

Result, KC.

Chiefs now #1 scoring defense --10.3 /game

We were tops also with ...I think 14pts /game average. Freak'n Alex Smith took our 2011 team to KC.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Left this place for a little bit... it turned into a GNC for the geriatric. WTF! Even the mods are involved

Hey, watch it with the geriatric comments! LOL! I'll take any help I can get...but it's close to nap time...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Started taking vitamin D this year after finding out I had a slight deficiency. 5000 iu is more than I currently take however...time for another pill!

vitamin d f**ks up ovaries

huh? D is one of the best supplements to fight of ovarian cancer
that may be,, but when i take it,, it messes with mine
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Chiefs now #1 scoring defense --10.3 /game

We were tops also with ...I think 14pts /game average. Freak'n Alex Smith took our 2011 team to KC.

alex is a great qb. he lets his defense rest. stats arent everything and he gets the job done and makes his team look better while doing his thing
  • dj43
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Chiefs haven't played many great teams. They haven't played any great teams.

Throws 41 times, gets 288 yards.

gets the win and that's all that matters and what anyone will remember anyway.
Isn't this classic Smith. He never puts up eye popping stats but seems to get the win. Now you can say he has a great defense etc. Smith's play while conservtive helps the D.

Time of possession. Chiefs 33.41 vs 26.19 Niners 29.18 vs 30.42

Not a fantasy stat but one that matters in the game. The defense gets to rest more and is able to make more play vs them wearing out and eventually allowing the opposing team to run the ball at will vs you.

Not turning the ball over, getting key first downs and being able to run the ball all lead to this. We can run the ball but Kaep has to improve in the first two areas. Smith (now he has more experience) is doing well in these areas and thus they are 4-0.

Kaep needs to sometimes take the easy first down so we can continue our drives and understand his great talent can continue to be on the field and generate the big play later. It just seem Kaep wants the big play every time which leads to our offense stalling.
That may have a lot to do with coaching. Everyone talks about his huge arm and ability to drive the ball down the field. Lots of plays put in to take advantage of that. At the same time, all the fantasy-influenced fans and writers criticize Alex for preferring the safer, shorter throws. So even though Alex won with those throws, for Kaep and the coaches to revert back to "what Alex does" seems tantamount to an admission that Alex would have done would have been just fine. "We didn't draft you to play like Alex. We drafted you to make the big plays Alex doesn't."

Of course no one would admit that kind of thinking has any part of what is going on, but clearly, Smith's experience and understanding of how to control the game is far more advanced that Kaepernick's. CK may reach that level at some point, hopefully sooner than later, but he clearly needs a little Alex Smith in him if he is to keep the offense moving against teams not named the St Louis Rams.

• dj43
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
People can say what they want about Alex but he has fought back through A LOT. Most guys don't make it back from where he was at, dude was going down the David Carr, Joey Harrington road, but fought back. Had Singletary not had been so stubbron and played Troy Smith over Alex I think we would have made the playoffs that year, but then it's quite possible that Jim Harbaugh would no be our coach right now and prob in Miami or somewhere. I feel like through the playoff run and how he played before the concussion he made up for all the bad years. Now he is in KC and for one more year his good play benefits the 49ers. Is he a 400 yard, 3 touchdown a game QB... of course not. But he takes care of the ball, can get your 300 and a 3 tds if you need it and he can use his legs. With a great defense you can't ask for much more out of your QB. As long as Alex plays ball like this he will have a job in this league for a while.

Matt Ryan passed for 400 yards last night. Just saying...
  • dj43
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Reid has got a much better Passing game and attack plan than Roman and co. ever used with Alex under us. Got some pretty good WR's too, but i like the way they have collaborated. It looks like a good true WCO, more so than Andy Reid's final years with Philly.

Reid has his "perfect storm:" Solid possession receivers with some explosive abilities, great all-round running back (a la Brian Westbrook but even faster) and a QB who is even better in managing the game/using the pocket than was McNabb who was always looking to run.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Actually, Smith's number went up when Raye was fired and Mike Johnson took over. Those last 5 games his rating was 91, IIRC. Then Sing was fired and Harbaugh came in. JH certainly helped Smith but it was not all Harbaugh. Smith had already turned the corner in those last 5 games under Sing/Johnson.

Yes, I corrected myself...but too late! LOL! The internet waits for no man...or mental lapse.

• dj43
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Trent should've asked for a 1st rounder.

It could be because the 49ers thought that they needed to accommodate Smith to a certain degree, or it also could be that Baalke bought into the "game manager" thinking as well. For that a second- and a third-round picks would appear to be quite a lot.
We can speculate all day long but there may be a good bit of truth in that thinking.

I believe Baalke has been surprised by how well Smith has done in KC (he shouldn't be) and disappointed in the reality that it is going to take CK more than just 16 games to learn the finesse part of QB play.

When Smith was being shopped last spring, I postulated that Smith was worth a 1st round pick. Of course I was flamed for that but now.....hmmmmmm
Started taking vitamin D this year after finding out I had a slight deficiency. 5000 iu is more than I currently take however...time for another pill!

vitamin d f**ks up ovaries

huh? D is one of the best supplements to fight of ovarian cancer
that may be,, but when i take it,, it messes with mine

Such a trouble maker! LOL!
Share 49ersWebzone