LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Thanks Mac! Tried to find this earlier but it's another skill yet to learn!

For a few seconds I thought that was Jenkins

Avery...? He had to throw it a little behind the receiver to not lead the ball into #29. Good throw for the situation.
Houston is a proven entity. KC is playing very well - BUT only 3 games into the season. Time will tell.

Avery looked awesome. Bowe, IMO, is VERY good but not elite.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
If Alex takes the Chiefs to a 13-3 record like he did with the 49ers would you consider him an MVP candidate? Even if he plays like he has the rest of the season? Talked about this on the radio and made me think a bit.

Just a what if, not saying he will at all. Right now I think Chiefs could either flop horribly or they could be pretty good. Still up in the air on Alex, no secret but I think he needs to start pressing a little bit more. Thinking he just may any game now. Once defenses try to take the short game away, I could see him surprising some defenses. If not, I think the Chiefs will be around .500 give or take a game.

Probably be in the running for comeback player but not MVP. If P Manning continues to play on his current level he won't be challenged. But Vick has thrown for the most yards so far this year and some would say that's more important than QBR or wins!

if he takes a 2-14 team to 13-3

he has to be running for MVP, and imo, would win. Basically the same cast, o-linemen was 1st pick (not a playmaker WR or Defensive Stud).
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Thanks Mac! Tried to find this earlier but it's another skill yet to learn!

For a few seconds I thought that was Jenkins

Avery...? He had to throw it a little behind the receiver to not lead the ball into #29. Good throw for the situation.

An excellent throw by any account! Threw it where neither defender could get a hand on it. There were a couple of those in this game and they happened when the team needed them. Would be nice if all could appreciate the talents a QB has rather than harping on his "limitations."
Originally posted by ads_2006:

he has to be running for MVP, and imo, would win. Basically the same cast, o-linemen was 1st pick (not a playmaker WR or Defensive Stud).

I really don't think the NFL would vote Smith in as MVP unless he changes his game and starts throwing for 300 to 400 yards per game. Just too many prejudices against this style. If he wins a Super Bowl or two and plays well doing so then this could change.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eh... Not seeing it. I know he has been getting bracketed coverage for the most part, so that can help others get open.. but I am not sure he's all that special. Good solid player, but certainly isn't on the level of Andre Johnson, and I would easily take DeAndre Hopkins as my #2 over any other KC receiver. Add in Owen Daniels as better than what Fasano has left. Pkus, those guys (minus the rookie) and QB have been working together for a while in the same system. People underestimate how advantageous that can be.

With Alex Smith at QB, You will win game, but not put up big offensive numbers so while Bowe is an elite receiver he might not even get 1000 yards this season.

For comparative purposes only, in his biggest season number-wise, Joe Montana AVERAGED 244 yards/game. 26 TDs and 12 INTs. Rating 94.6. Which only goes to prove you don't have to put up huge numbers to win ball games...but I think we all know that.
  • dj43
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Houston has one of the better defenses in football. Way too early to say KC has a better defense.
IMO, Houston's rep is helped a lot by JJ Watt. They are good but I believe with the addition of Sean Smith in the KC secondary, they are better, and better balanced than Houston.
  • dj43

Lot of people ignored the Avery pickup but he was a difference maker in that game.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
I like Bowe over Boldin in that he can get more separation although AB's toughness is hard to dispute. I like the way Avery (over Kyle Williams) has been playing. He and Smith have connected on some key plays. Avery is faster than Williams. Dexter McCluster is a handful out of the slot or the backfield. Junior Hemingway had a couple of key catches the first week. Vernon Davis is a unique threat but winds up blocking a lot of the time. I like Fasano in Reid's WCO a lot.

I just don't like the quality or depth of the 49er WRs right now. Boldin is a #3 on a good team, maybe even #4 in Green Bay. That isn't to say there is a wide gap but I do think the Chiefs have an edge. Of course that all changes when Manningham and Crabtree get back but in the meantime...

Just had to link this post from last Wednesday to the pic below. Sorry. Just had to...
For comparative purposes only, in his biggest season number-wise, Joe Montana AVERAGED 244 yards/game. 26 TDs and 12 INTs. Rating 94.6. Which only goes to prove you don't have to put up huge numbers to win ball games...but I think we all know that.

Montana was a top 10 passer just about every year. You can't let today's numbers skew your view. Put Montana in today's league and his stats would be significantly up.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM ]

Originally posted by ads_2006:

Not how it works. McNair is really the guy who won MVP with pedestrian numbers. When Brady was winning Super Bowls being a "game manager" he finished in the top 3 for MVP voting once. Rodgers or Manning etc etc will go 12-4 and will win going away because of superior numbers.
Lot of people ignored the Avery pickup but he was a difference maker in that game.

Avery has been clutch for Smith on a few conversions in a couple of games this year. Against Dallas and Eagles that I remembered.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Sounds like a fantasy football write up....

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Originally posted by socalniner:
Of course fantasy people gonna hate on Smith. Ask any Chief fan what they think. I would love for Kap to have been more conservative especially in the redzone

Not directing this towards you but fantasy football really shouldn't be how people judge their qbs. No turnovers and 330 yards of rushing and passing is an effective output in any game.

It's a great start from Alex and the Chiefs but I wouldn't jump on their bandwagon until they play some division games. Oakland and San Diego may not be the pushovers people initially thought.

Fantasy football or not, those are REAL limitations to Smith's abilities. There is a reason why people still don't consider Smith to be a Super bowl level QB, and it has nothing to do with fantasy stats. He is limited.
Try harder.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I would hope some are not holding back their true feelings regarding Alex.

its ok to say that the only reason you are "rooting" for Alex is for us to get a higher pick....but I won't shy away and say that i'm rooting for Alex and Chiefs just because Alex and the Chiefs.

when Alex threw his first TD, my arms went up and I got excited....and again I don't think its because of the whole 8 game win thing, but i would think that most here have been cheering Alex TDs on Sundays for nearly 8 years now (while sure critiquing along the way)....so it would be a natural reaction to cheer again when he scores....well at least until more time passes from him not being on our team.

if its ALL about our draft picks...then the right approach would be to root like crazy till 8 wins....then unfortunately.. root like crazy they lose the rest of their games..lol. so that the pick is still in the middle of the 2nd and not basically a high 3rd.

but that would invest to much weird confusing emotion so I'm just going to root for them to win their games... I don't like the Broncos, so it would be nice to have the Chiefs throwing a wrench into the NFL's wishes.

I sure hope Afrikan isn't holding back his true feelings about being a full on Chiefs fan.
Just like I won't hold back from banning you.
Montana was a top 10 passer just about every year. You can't let today's numbers skew your view. Put Montana in today's league and his stats would be significantly up.

Montana and Walsh would likely have the same numbers and be winning super bowls. Don't forget, many folks said Montana was a result of the system and anyone could throw all those short passes. Guys like Bradshaw, Marino and Elway were real QBs.
Share 49ersWebzone