LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Other Teams' Message Boards

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's like a mod party up in hurr. Hooray!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
meh, was hoping for more.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Not trying to pour gasoline on a fire but the Seahawks were the least relevant AFC team I could think of before the 2002 re-alignment.

Yep. And that's a big reason why they were a candidate to be moved to the NFC. Excellent breakdown.

And heck, even their current squad (who I think is very good) has a massive disconnect between what they've accomplished and how they seem to regard themselves.

before the realignment..i totally forgot Seattle even had a team
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Not trying to pour gasoline on a fire but the Seahawks were the least relevant AFC team I could think of before the 2002 re-alignment.

Yep. And that's a big reason why they were a candidate to be moved to the NFC. Excellent breakdown.

And heck, even their current squad (who I think is very good) has a massive disconnect between what they've accomplished and how they seem to regard themselves.

before the realignment..i totally forgot Seattle even had a team

Tom Flores FTW.

Though I disagree with you guys about the rivalry. I think they are our biggest rivals right now. Historically? Meh.
Sunday can't get here fast enough!
Man, I came in here for some musings, and it was just arguing. Sad panda.

Originally posted by ElDannMann:

I will make sure if I post .Nut links I will only use non Hawker84 threads
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Carolina's front 7 is top 10. Our front 7 is #1.

Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks.

That is FOUR all-pros and a pro-bowlers. And not just any pro-bowlers. Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis are on track for the hall of fame. Bowman and Smith are on the fringe of HOF territory.

Carolina is not in the same stratosphere. .
where are you getting Carolina is top 10? and SF is #1, just curious.

Because he's a student of the game
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

I will make sure if I post .Nut links I will only use non Hawker84 threads

haha okay.

Did we ever get an all-pro from Carolina's front 7? Carolina's front 7 is good, but it's full of young guys. Give them a few years to flourish and then we can start making comparisons. No offense, Luke Kuechly, you're a young and rising star, but he alone cannot beat out one person between Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman.

I think it was obvious Seahawks had a poor showing last week. All teams have poor showings. The 49ers did last year in Seattle. But we didn't blame it on the Seahawks being a dynamic team, we blamed it on ourselves, on our own team for not capitalizing. What we don't like, Hawker, is opposing teams fans coming in saying the other team was just that good. The Seahawks had a poor showing. They better get those problems fixed before the 49ers stroll into town. A poor showing won't work against us, as we found out against you guys last year.
Not trying to pour gasoline on a fire but the Seahawks were the least relevant AFC team I could think of before the 2002 re-alignment. Let's go down the list:

AFC East:

Bills - 4 consecutive super bowl appearances
Patriots - Two super bowl appearances
Dolphins - '72 Dolphins, Dan Marino.
Jets - Joe Namath and Super Bowl III
Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - Super bowl appearance

AFC Central:

Pittsburgh Steelers - 'nuff said
Cleveland Browns - a few NFL Championships. Jim Brown. nearly beat Broncos in '80s to go to super bowl.
Cincinnati Bengals - two super bowl appearances.
Houston Oilers - many competitive teams in 70s-90s...nearly went to super bowl.

AFC West:

Denver Broncos - Six super bowl appearances, last two as champions.
Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders - Two super bowl championships.
Kansas City Chiefs - Two super bowl appearances, one as champion.

Seattle Seahawks - Nothing before realignment. Only claim to fame is producing an 80 before 80....setting the TD receiving record for Rice to break. One hall of fame player that the average fan would know (Steve Largent).

And in case you thought it's AFC only, NFC has no suckers as well:

NFC East:

Dallas Cowboys - 5 Lombardis in 8 appearances.
New York Giants - NFL championships and 2 Lombardis
Washington Redskins - Two Lombardis, 3 appearances
Philadelphia Eagles - Super bowl appearance, 3 NFL championships, very competitive from late '80s onwards
St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals - Pretty irrelevant in Super Bowl era up to realignment, but is the oldest professional football franchise. Two NFL championships from '20s, and cursed by controversy of '25 NFL Championship.

NFC Central:

Chicago Bears - George Halas trophy named for NFC champ. A Lombardi. Historic franchise
Green Bay Packers - Title-town.
Minnesota Vikings - Four super bowl appearances, and many competitive teams in late '80s and late '90s.
Detroit Lions - Cursed for fifty years after Bobby Lane swore them off. Four NFL championships.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ok, pretty sucky from '76-mid '90s. But turned it around in late '90s and became champs first year of realignment.

NFC West:

San Francisco 49ers - Ahem.
St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams - Three super bowl appearances (one Lombardi), two more NFL Championships. 49ers biggest all time rival in division.
Atlanta Falcons - Pretty irrelevant until Deion Sanders, Andre Rison era to kick off the '90s. Made it to the super bowl.
New Orleans Saints - Saints were pretty irrelevant. When they had a decent QB (Archie Manning) rest of team sucked. When they got a great defense, no offense.

If you take the marginal teams here up to realignment: Bucs, Falcons, Saints, Cardinals, you could argue they've done more than the Seahawks have as far as relevance since then. Jacksonville has been to AFC championship game, Carolina in a super bowl, Titans have played in a super bowl extending the Oilers success, and the Ravens have won two super bowls. Saints won a super bowl. Falcons have been very strong the last few years.

Their relevance is all recent and their coaching tree includes all guys who were SF first (Holmgren, Mora Jr, even Carroll).

When in doubt ask someone who is more relevant to the history of the NFL: Seahawks or _______?

The list ain't big, if at all.

A lot is riding on them making something of what they have now. They win a super bowl and they move up a nice # of spots.

Seahawks have been kicked out of a conference TWICE!

1) they started off their inaugural 1976 season in the old NFCW with the Niners, Rams, Falcons and Saints (Tampa Bay, the other expansion team that year, started off in the AFCW with Oakland, KC, SD and Denver) both teams were moved in '77: Seattle to the AFCW and TB to the NFCC

2) Seattle was bumped back to the NFCW for the 2002 realignment

Not trying to pour gasoline on a fire but the Seahawks were the least relevant AFC team I could think of before the 2002 re-alignment. Let's go down the list:

AFC East:

Patriots - THREE super bowl appearances ('85, '96, '01)
Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - TWO Super bowl appearances ('68, '70)

AFC Central:

Cleveland Browns - a few NFL Championships. Jim Brown. nearly beat Broncos in '80s to go to super bowl.
Baltimore Ravens - won a Super Bowl in ther 5th season (2000)

AFC West:
Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers - AFL title ('63), Super Bowl appearance ('94)
Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders - THREE super bowl championships. ('76, '80, '83)

Seattle Seahawks - Nothing before realignment. Only claim to fame is producing an 80 before 80....setting the TD receiving record for Rice to break. One hall of fame player that the average fan would know (Steve Largent).

NFC East:

Philadelphia Eagles - Super bowl appearance, 3 NFL championships, very competitive from late '80s onwards
Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals - Pretty irrelevant in Super Bowl era up to realignment, but is the oldest professional football franchise. Two NFL championships from '20s, and cursed by controversy of '25 NFL Championship.

NFC Central:

Chicago Bears - George Halas trophy named for NFC champ. A Lombardi. Historic franchise
Minnesota Vikings - Four super bowl appearances, and many competitive teams in late '80s and late '90s.
Detroit Lions - Cursed for fifty years after Bobby Lane swore them off. Four NFL championships.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ok, pretty sucky from '76-mid '90s. But turned it around in late '90s and became champs first year of realignment.

NFC West:

St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams - Three super bowl appearances (one Lombardi), two more NFL Championships. 49ers biggest all time rival in division.
Atlanta Falcons - Pretty irrelevant until Deion Sanders, Andre Rison era to kick off the '90s. Made it to the super bowl.
New Orleans Saints - Saints were pretty irrelevant. When they had a decent QB (Archie Manning) rest of team sucked. When they got a great defense, no offense.

If you take the marginal teams here up to realignment: Bucs, Falcons, Saints, Cardinals, you could argue they've done more than the Seahawks have as far as relevance since then. Jacksonville has been to AFC championship game, Carolina in a super bowl, Titans have played in a super bowl extending the Oilers success, and the Ravens have won two super bowls. Saints won a super bowl. Falcons have been very strong the last few years.

Their relevance is all recent and their coaching tree includes all guys who were SF first (Holmgren, Mora Jr, even Carroll).

When in doubt ask someone who is more relevant to the history of the NFL: Seahawks or _______?

A lot is riding on them making something of what they have now. They win a super bowl and they move up a nice # of spots.

bolded are some updates/corrections
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

AFC East:

Patriots - Two super bowl appearances
Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - Super bowl appearance

AFC Central:

AFC West:

Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders - Two super bowl championships.

NFC East:

St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals - Pretty irrelevant in Super Bowl era up to realignment, but is the oldest professional football franchise. Two NFL championships from '20s, and cursed by controversy of '25 NFL Championship.

NFC Central:

NFC West:

Seahawks have been kicked out of a conference TWICE!

1) they started off their inaugural 1976 season in the old NFCW with the Niners, Rams, Falcons and Saints (Tampa Bay, the other expansion team that year, started off in the AFCW with Oakland, KC, SD and Denver) both teams were moved in '77: Seattle to the AFCW and TB to the NFCC

2) Seattle was bumped back to the NFCW for the 2002 realignment

Wish they would have Moved SD into the NFCW in 2002 instead, then I could drive to an away game every year and not have to leave the state.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Wish they would have Moved SD into the NFCW in 2002 instead, then I could drive to an away game every year and not have to leave the state.

nahhh....SD had too much history and bad blood rivalry with their old AFL rivals....seahawks were the obvious choice as the redheaded stepchild that could be booted back to the NFCW

same reason the cowboys are still in the NFCE even though geographically they should've been in the NFC west years ago...cardinals made sense after they moved to arizona

the Rams should've never left LA
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by davide49:
EXACTLY.

Then again, these are the same folks who think Richard Sherman is as good as/better than Willis, A/J Smith and Bowman.

The fact is that the Niners have four dudes on D that are better than ANY player on the Seahawks D.

They have all pro's on the line as well, not to mention Kueckley and Star are montsters... So i beg to differ, they may not be at the same level, but they're pretty darn good. don't take my word for it, you'll see when you play them,

Name one.

Still waiting.

<----------Hawker
I want this game so flipping bad I can taste it.

The main reason is that we'd have a head-to-head wins against the two top teams in the conference behind the 49ers . . . but just as much I want to see thousands of Hawk fans standing in stunned disbelief with tears running down their cheeks.
Share 49ersWebzone