There are 195 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Nobody says they have to hide it, and I doubt there's much backlash inside the locker room. For every Chris Culliver you're going to find his supporters as well. The actual problem is just as much the press clamoring to make this guy into the next Jackie Robinson. There's millions of dollars at stake here. Nobody wants that circus. If you're black there's no avoiding it, but if you're gay you can.

Would you want every single press conference to be bombarded with questions about some dude's relationship and how the team is handling it? I know if I was a gay player I'd be trying to avoid that distraction for my team's sake.

THANK YOU. The issue isn't that the NFL isn't accepting of gays. Based on probability alone, I'm pretty sure that there have been some obviously gay dudes in the league and it wasn't a problem at all. And them CHOOSING to not put their lives on display for some trivial "cause" does not make them bad people.

What irks me about this whole thing is people are looking to find a problem where there isn't one.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
You know what bothers me about this whole topic? Not at all that we should accept gays or whatever the argument is. What bothers me is that anything involving someones personal sexuality is relevant in any way. Why should anybody give a f**k what these guys do behind closed doors? What business is it of ours or anybody's where you choose to get your sexual thrills?

It frustrates me that we are even discussing this. Does a player being gay effect how fast he can run or how hard he can hit? If not then shut the f**k up about it because it doesn't mean s**t. Next we should start discussing openly vegetarian players, openly pro-abortion players, openly republican players, openly lactose intolerant players, and openly allergic to walnuts players. See what I am getting at? This means nothing to us or players who are associated with these guys. The extent of our relationship with them is we are fans of the teams they play for. As far as their teammates go they are just that teammates and they don't have any business knowing who their fellow player f**ks on the weekend in the first place.

I don't believe sexuality is something you have to declare except to maybe your intimate partner. It just bothers me that this is even a thing to begin with.

BTW this is in no way a shot at your posts Marvin I think you made some really valid points as always I just wanted to vent a little.

^Listen to this man.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

THAT was the point I was making in regards to the Black QB. It was a story when Doug Williams was the first Black QB in the Super Bowl. It wasn't a story anymore when Kaep was in the Super Bowl. Thats progress.

Is Collin Kaepernick a black quarterback?

I know he is a quarterback. But, is he black.
Originally posted by buck:
THAT was the point I was making in regards to the Black QB. It was a story when Doug Williams was the first Black QB in the Super Bowl. It wasn't a story anymore when Kaep was in the Super Bowl. Thats progress.

He's half black. And you know what they say. One drop.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Few people know that once upon a time, that was a real law.

one drop of semen......

"Do you have any idea how many gay kids KILL THEMSELVES because they are gay and are ashamed of themselves?"

Again dude, you're smarter than this. Kids also kill themselves because they get picked on for being skinny, fat, wearing glasses, ugly shoes and all kinds of other ridiculous crap. The point? Kids aren't the best equipped to deal with emotional stress. That has been true since the beginning of time. Homosexuality is hardly unique in that regard.

And that's okay with you? If we can make some progress to eliminate ONE of the social contributors to kids' suicides, shouldn't we do everything we can to do so? Unless you simply accept some kids' suicides as an inevitable fact of life.

You may believe you have the right to reject someone else's "lifestyle" as you term it, but by the same token others have the right to be who they are, i.e. gay or bisexual or whatever. But when these competing rights become mutually exclusive, the question becomes: which right is more important and which causes the greater harm? The right to be oneself, free of judjement or condemnation, trumps your right to be disturbed by or uncomfortable with people different than you. What's more, you have it in your power to broaden your mind and adjust your point of view, whereas a person cannot change their sexual orientation.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Nobody says they have to hide it, and I doubt there's much backlash inside the locker room. For every Chris Culliver you're going to find his supporters as well. The actual problem is just as much the press clamoring to make this guy into the next Jackie Robinson. There's millions of dollars at stake here. Nobody wants that circus. If you're black there's no avoiding it, but if you're gay you can.

Would you want every single press conference to be bombarded with questions about some dude's relationship and how the team is handling it? I know if I was a gay player I'd be trying to avoid that distraction for my team's sake.

THANK YOU. The issue isn't that the NFL isn't accepting of gays. Based on probability alone, I'm pretty sure that there have been some obviously gay dudes in the league and it wasn't a problem at all. And them CHOOSING to not put their lives on display for some trivial "cause" does not make them bad people.

What irks me about this whole thing is people are looking to find a problem where there isn't one.

No, gay players choosing to keep their orientation out of the public eye does not make them bad people. And It's true that a player coming out might cause a media distraction that could be detrimental to the team. But that itself is the problem. The cause is not "trivial" as you say. If it was, why would the Supreme Court address the constitutionality of state's denying same-sex marriage in our country? Why would players like Brendon Ayanbadejo and Chris Kluwe campaign tirelessly to combat homophobia in NFL locker rooms? Someone will have to be the first to come out in order to break the boundary for others in the future.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I was kind of hoping that was what they USED TO say.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
And that's okay with you? If we can make some progress to eliminate ONE of the social contributors to kids' suicides, shouldn't we do everything we can to do so? Unless you simply accept some kids' suicides as an inevitable fact of life.

You may believe you have the right to reject someone else's "lifestyle" as you term it, but by the same token others have the right to be who they are, i.e. gay or bisexual or whatever. But when these competing rights become mutually exclusive, the question becomes: which right is more important and which causes the greater harm? The right to be oneself, free of judjement or condemnation, trumps your right to be disturbed by or uncomfortable with people different than you. What's more, you have it in your power to broaden your mind and adjust your point of view, whereas a person cannot change their sexual orientation.

Maybe you should read what I wrote before cherry picking quotes to criticize. I never, at any point, said that I'm disturbed or otherwise have any bad feelings about a person being gay as I have gay siblings.

What I did say however, is that I don't personally care if a person a gay just as I don't care if they're straight. Neither requires any kind of special recognition or validation in my book and they most certainly do not require a national discussion.

Moreover, my point was that people need to get past this idea that everyone has to accept your lifestyle choices.

Fact: not everybody is going to approve of everything you do.

Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]

Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
No, gay players choosing to keep their orientation out of the public eye does not make them bad people. And It's true that a player coming out might cause a media distraction that could be detrimental to the team. But that itself is the problem. The cause is not "trivial" as you say. If it was, why would the Supreme Court address the constitutionality of state's denying same-sex marriage in our country? Why would players like Brendon Ayanbadejo and Chris Kluwe campaign tirelessly to combat homophobia in NFL locker rooms? Someone will have to be the first to come out in order to break the boundary for others in the future.

And what boundary would that be?

Did I miss something where a gay player was booted off a team because of his sexual preferences?

While we're talking about it, can you tell me of ONE known obstacle that prevents a gay player from coming out if they so choose (and not your assumptions)? Is being gay a violation of your contract? Will it result in you being immediately released? Thrown in jail? Publicly cained maybe?

No? Then, what exactly are we talking about here?
Just think about the new potential relationships that could come out of this. The new openly gay E harmany NFL. Find your partner and play Football.
Maybe you should read what I wrote before cherry picking quotes to criticize. I never, at any point, said that I'm disturbed or otherwise have any bad feelings about a person being gay as I have gay siblings.

What I did say however, is that I don't personally care if a person a gay just as I don't care if they're straight. Neither requires any kind of special recognition or validation in my book and they most certainly do not require a national discussion.

Moreover, my point was that people need to get past this idea that everyone has to accept your lifestyle choices.

Fact: not everybody is going to approve of everything you do.

Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay.

Not everyone need approve of all of an individual's "lifestyle choices," like whether they prefer Coke or Pepsi as you said before. But sexual orientation is something else altogether, something which is a fundamental pillar of most people's identity. It is not yours or anyone else's place to approve or disapprove of another adult's private life, provided they are not committing immoral or criminal acts.
And what boundary would that be?

Did I miss something where a gay player was booted off a team because of his sexual preferences?

While we're talking about it, can you tell me of ONE known obstacle that prevents a gay player from coming out if they so choose (and not your assumptions)? Is being gay a violation of your contract? Will it result in you being immediately released? Thrown in jail? Publicly cained maybe?

No? Then, what exactly are we talking about here?
The fact that no player in any of the big 4 sports leagues has never been openly gay proves that obstacles exist. No doubt some of these obstacles are social. Players like John Amechi and Kwame Harris, who have become open about being gay after their careers, have testified to the difficulties of living with the secret in the less-than-accepting sports culture.

But it's possible being openly gay would also affect players in terms of their career. Why else would NFL teams care to inquire about the sexual orientation of potential draftees? See - Nick Kasa's comments about teams asking him if he liked girls in Combine interviews.
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM ]
double post
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone