LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Best Play in the History of the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://www.nfl.com/bracketology

So really how does the catch not take the cake? Made it to the second round easily but it looks like the Giants helmet catch in 07' is getting the overwhelming vote. Being the homer that I am I have Young's epic TD run against the Vikings as #2.

So does the catch that kick started our dynasty run live up to the best play of all time?
Originally posted by BayArea:
http://www.nfl.com/bracketology

So does the catch that kick started our dynasty run live up to the best play of all time?

If you were to look at in a vacuum, just the play itself and that's it, I'd say no. But, if you allow for context, the fact that that singular play was essentially the genesis of a dynasty that is arguably not just the greatest run in NFL history, but maybe even the best in the Big 3-1/2 (NFL, MLB, NBA, nhl), the players involved, how bad the 49ers had been the previous decade...then imo it is the greatest play of all-time.
Without any homerism, if you put The Catch and The Helmet Catch up against each other, I gotta admit that the latter is slightly more impressive. SLIGHTLY.

The tie breakers are:

Super Bowl > Conference Championship
Difficulty of helmet catch > difficulty of the catch (very slight, but still)
Manning's scrambling > Montana's scrambling (again, very slight)

The Catch has the advantage of being a scoring play instead of just a drive continuing play that led to a score.

And the "launching of a dynasty" thing, but these Giants are still around and have won just as many SF did in the first six years (2 for SF 1981-1986, 2 for NYG 2007-2012), so it's not THAT assured that this is a pro-The Catch point.

Otherwise, they are pretty even.
It has to be The Catch. That play symbolizes a seismic shift in the landscape of the NFL. Montana's most signature moment in a career full of them. It was the start of the greatest dynasty in league history.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It has to be The Catch. That play symbolizes a seismic shift in the landscape of the NFL. Montana's most signature moment in a career full of them. It was the start of the greatest dynasty in league history.

But one can argue that tyree's catch haulted a HISTORIC undefeated season by the patriots. They're infamously known as 18-1
This is EXTREMELY tough but Tyree did it at the biggest stage in perhaps the biggest super bowl EVER. I'm a 49er homer, but for anyone who says that the catch should win in a landslide is CLEARLY blind.
But one can argue that tyree's catch haulted a HISTORIC undefeated season by the patriots. They're infamously known as 18-1

This is EXTREMELY tough but Tyree did it at the biggest stage in perhaps the biggest super bowl EVER. I'm a 49er homer, but for anyone who says that the catch should win in a landslide is CLEARLY blind.
I wish the videos worked on nfl.com. Haha.

But, Young's TD run takes the cake:

Young escapes a collapsed pocket by spinning away from 3 defenders, proceeds to break 4 tackles and winds his way through an entire team on a 49 yard touchdown, stumbling into the end zone.

Yea, The Catch was an amazing play. But it was a play that had been practiced. Young's run was pure improvisation, turning a sack into a 49 yard touchdown.

Hearst's run was pretty beast too. Man, I loved that guy. Nothing but heart.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:57 AM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Damn bro are you really a Giants fan in disguise? Kickstart a dynasty of your own team or luckily barely beat the Patriots after their easy ass undefeated schedule? Go root for big blue I guess.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Lynch's run against the Saints should take it.

Always liked that Walter Payton run against the Chiefs and hate to say it but Marshawn Lynch vs the Saints was incredible to (not best play of all time though). Do love watching him play even though he plays that s**te.

Screw the Giants, lets pick one on talent not luck

Edit: Take that back, never seen the river city relay before form the Saints. Amazing, 7 seconds left, creative, whole team involved, and desire amazing. And the ending just makes it funny.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM ]
There are so many it's hard to pick just one...Franco Harris' catch just off the turf ruined the Raiders...The Catch by Dwight Clark...any number of Barry Sanders runs...Jim Brown bouncing off virtually the whole defense to plow into the end zone...but, for me, the Steve Young 49 yd run vs the Vikes is the most compelling. At least as compelling was Lon Simmons' call...it was full of emotion and drama, just as Young's run was. I've heard and seen it countless times, but it gets me charged up every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_OCaKeiU8
Gotta put Garrison Hearst's 96 yard run in OT to win it up for consideration. Steve Sabol of NFL Films ranked it the greatest play of all time. And he's no 49er homer, and has seen way more football than most people on this planet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in the history of the nfl? probably the immaculate reception
Originally posted by cciowa:
in the history of the nfl? probably the immaculate reception

I wouldn't even put it in the top 20 because it's just pure luck - not really a lot of skill involved in that play other than that of the Raider defensive backs knocking the pass away.
Share 49ersWebzone