LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Whitner is a dying breed - the strong, hard hitting safety that is great in run support and mediocre in pass defense. A guy with his skill set is simply not necessary in today's NFL, especially now considering the scrutiny on hits over the middle. I wish Whitner luck - he was a team leader and played hard. But the faster the 49ers move away from this concept of having a designated FS and SS the better. Give me a young ball hawk with speed to pair with Reid.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

Donte Whitner's deal w/ #Browns is in 4-year, $28M range, per @RapSheet. Whitner coming off 3-year, $11.7 million deal with 49ers.

great for Whitner... gets to play for his home town team. Gets that last great pay day before retirement.
Yes he has earned it! I'm glad we didn't pay it though because we don't have the money
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

Donte Whitner's deal w/ #Browns is in 4-year, $28M range, per @RapSheet. Whitner coming off 3-year, $11.7 million deal with 49ers.

great for Whitner... gets to play for his home town team. Gets that last great pay day before retirement.

Yeah it's a no brainer for him. This is the last big deal he's going to sign and he gets to play in his hometown.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
yeah, used to always hear good things about him. He is built like Whitner...but I don't know if he is as durable.

I think he would be a good pick up, and have him compete with a rookie draft pick.

lets just say I'm MUCH more comfortable with Bethea on the field than Craig Dahl

I know Craig is our Free Safety...but I'm just saying.

Bethea is durable. Hasn't missed a game since 07.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
can't blame him for leaving. he gotta get paid but he can be replaced. aint even worried.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by Amir:
ur gonna hear about 346 safeties that the niners are "interested" in the next few days. don't believe everything.

This.

Wait, aren't you friends with Patrick Willis? Give us the inside scoop!

yeah man. we besties. ill post pics/tweets that mention me on his twitter.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
ur gonna hear about 346 safeties that the niners are "interested" in the next few days. don't believe everything.

This.

Wait, aren't you friends with Patrick Willis? Give us the inside scoop!

yeah man. we besties. ill post pics/tweets that mention me on his twitter.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Falcons Pro Bowl safety Thomas Decoud to be released by 4 pm EST, per source.

sign him now!
Originally posted by midrdan:
Whitner is a dying breed - the strong, hard hitting safety that is great in run support and mediocre in pass defense. A guy with his skill set is simply not necessary in today's NFL, especially now considering the scrutiny on hits over the middle. I wish Whitner luck - he was a team leader and played hard. But the faster the 49ers move away from this concept of having a designated FS and SS the better. Give me a young ball hawk with speed to pair with Reid.

This^. Those woo hits lately seem to get 15 and a 1st at the worst times. This defense needs more picks and less penalties. I was never enamored with his coverage skills but he did bring toughness which helped back when the team was looking for an identity but that time has passed.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM ]
Looks like Whitner leaving could help with maybe a high comp pick next offseason

the draft is really weak this year at S. We need a guy like Ward or Bethea.

Also f*ck you Whitner you traitor for leaving for the worst franchise in football.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
the draft is really weak this year at S. We need a guy like Ward or Bethea.

Also f*ck you Whitner you traitor for leaving for the worst franchise in football.
Yea f**k Whitner for making roughly 8 million more by playing for his hometown team.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Whitner, thank you for the memories and big hits. Though, I cannot blame you for taking the money, you are no longer a niner.

So, I must say this:

or get this s**t out of ninertalk because you are not a niner!
If I had a twitter acct I would thank him for his service and wish him well in Cleveland but I don't so I won't
Share 49ersWebzone