LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
We now really need to resign him. He perfected the execution of big hits legally, now that those penalties are reviewable, it'll be to our advantage with Whitner laying guys out and causing fumbles, and WRs will be hella scared to come up the middle. Resign him NAO!

If we bring in a rookie or someone in FA that still has to adjust their hitting techniques, it will cost us big time down the road. With Whitner, it'll be our advantage. IMO.
agreed, Whitner should be a priority if hes not gonna break the bank. hes a team leader, extremely hard hitting intimidation type player and with reid as his partner they have been great. the hits he got flagged for were all clean and they will be reviewable next year. bring back donte, boldin and dawson before anyone else
Whitner's hit on Pierre Thomas at the goal line in 2011 playoffs is one of my favorite 9er hits off all time. A fine example of how a hit can change tide, charge a team and instill attitude.
I love whitner but I believe he is replaceable especially with the upcoming extensions on our players we can't afford him. His pass coverage is scary and we can improve on that area that bomb to baldwin Whitner got burned still haunts me for the future. Aldon, Kap, Crabtree are going to be a 49er for 10+ years we need the $ for them.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
And start who? Seriously, I have to question the sanity of some the posters in here. Our secondary was the weak link on defense last season and everyone is so ready to cut everyone just to increase our cap number. Its not your money so I don't understand why more fans are so in love with players salaries and their cap numbers. We as fans should be more concerned about upgrading the position not saving money. I want to know how cutting Whitner after having to let Goldson walk is going to help our secondary. Goldson was out of our control. There was no way we could bring him back at market value. Cutting Whitner however makes no sense at all.

Whitner is a free agent. We will not be cutting him.

Free agency is a two-way street.

Either he signs with us or he signs with another team.

If I had my druthers, he would stay a 49er.

peace out donte

[ Edited by BimmerKing on Jan 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM ]
And /// there it is ...

https://twitter.com/DonteWhitner/status/427268093786615808
"@DonteWhitner: It's been a pleasure"

hmmmmmmmis whitner trying to send a message to the fans?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
"@DonteWhitner: It's been a pleasure"

hmmmmmmmis whitner trying to send a message to the fans?

Sure seems like it. Maybe he's putting it out there now, maybe he knows something and can't really say much more.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Sure seems like it. Maybe he's putting it out there now, maybe he knows something and can't really say much more.

probably riht because technically free agency hasnt begun yet.

Originally posted by LoneWolf:

probably riht because technically free agency hasnt begun yet.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they've already called him in and told him. Maybe he'll go to TB and play next to Dashon again. Hope Dashon likes his paydays.
And then this ...

https://twitter.com/DonteWhitner/status/427275456224579584

Spin control
Is there any chance he gets hit with the franchise tag?
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

I'm no expert, but I doubt it. I think he's looking for a big pay raise ALA Dashon.
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

I'm no expert, but I doubt it. I think he's looking for a big pay raise ALA Dashon.

He deserves it
Share 49ersWebzone