LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
He's playing at a high level. Maybe because of Reid and not Goldson?

In any event, it will probably come down to $$$ like everything else in life.
wrecking ball
Great great game yesterday. Gotta give credit where credit is due! His play recognition playing down hill is getting better and better each week.
My friend pointed this out. Whitner's improved play may be partially due to Eric Reid complimenting him better than Dashon Goldson did. Whitner and Goldson were too similar of players. Eric Reid has been excellent in coverage and probably listens to everything Whitner tells him, and so maybe that is one reason why Whitner is having a better year, because he has that guy that compliments him perfectly. Also being his contract year helps a lot.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
wrecking ball

Originally posted by NCommand:
Great great game yesterday. Gotta give credit where credit is due! His play recognition playing down hill is getting better and better each week.

Indeed! What a pleasant surprise!! As Kellen Clemon said, "if they [the 49ers] have a weak link on defense, please let me know". Many of us thought it'd be Witner, a rookie safety in Eric Reid, or just our secondary in general, but that hasn't been the case and I love it!

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
My friend pointed this out. Whitner's improved play may be partially due to Eric Reid complimenting him better than Dashon Goldson did. Whitner and Goldson were too similar of players. Eric Reid has been excellent in coverage and probably listens to everything Whitner tells him, and so maybe that is one reason why Whitner is having a better year, because he has that guy that compliments him perfectly. Also being his contract year helps a lot.

Another poster mentioned that as well; I agree. The chemistry is real, people!
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM ]
Are we getting to the point where they may have to figure out some way to keep Whitner? When you really think about it, this has probably been the best year for the secondary during the Baalke/Harbaugh era. This is with injuries, lots of roster movement, a rookie at FS, backups getting significant playing time, and we are without our best CB (arguably) Chris Culliver.

Count me on board for actually trying to bring Donte Whitner back. If we did somehow extend him, that means we don't have to draft another safety so high (which means we can at least wait until the 3rd before we look at that position), and that would allow us to go after receivers, corners, and possibly a top tier guard.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

i think its more than partially. sure whitner could have just gotten better in the offseason, but its night and day from last season (especially the playoffs). its pretty apparent reid has quite a bit to do with it.
After reading how Whitner worked all off season with Donatell on his coverage skills I'm gonna give him his due. Hes playing his best football. Not sure what the going rate is fot SS's, but he needs to be resigned
He needs to knock some fools out this weekend! I know the Seattle defense will be looking to take shots at Davis to take him out of the game. Every time we play Seattle he seems to get taken out of the game. I expect the same this weekend and for Whitner to kindly return the favor! LETS GO NINERS!

Re-sign him to no more than 3 years. He's playing great this year and has been a top 5 safety but I would hate to see him regress back to what he was last season.
[ Edited by xela510 on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Pay Da' Man!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I've noticed he's playing a lot more free safety this season.
I don't know if you can find a faster safety in this draft. Whitner ran a 4.38. The only safety with a projected speed close to that is Marqueston Huff. I'd like to have Whitner but he won't be cheap. Neither will Aldon, Iupati, Kap, or Crabs. If I had to prioritize I'd go with franchising Whitner this upcoming year and extending Kap and Aldon with the money freed up by all the F/A's in 2015.
He'll pull a Goldson and take off for a bigger payday elsewhere come free agency. Watch.
Share 49ersWebzone