LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Just out of some idiotic curiosity on my part,..

1. Who do the geniuses who want Hitner gone think would replace him?
2. Why do you think you are smarter than the rest of the team who loves having him in the position?
3. He is a strong safety not a free safety so don't use the worthless idea that he is soft in coverage.
4. How are you going to "fantasy football" or "madden" one of the top 3 strong safeties to replace him without costing the 49ers badly.
5. Who would be a better field general and defense play caller real time?
6. How did you figure out he stinks whereas Harbaugh is dumb?

Just wondering.

Agreed. Way too late now. Dahl? LOL...Spillman?

In this 3-4 defense where both S's are interchangeable (and the way the NFL is going - fines for legal hits and monster emphasis on the passng game), we need another FS to play opposite Reid...someone with very good coverage skills and range.

Just look at that TD...both Brown and Whitner aren't even within 3 yards of a simple pitch-and-catch TD right in the middle of the field (and with underneath help from the LB). Remember, Hitner gave up 13 TD's last year alone including accountability on the first 3 TD's in the Superbowl. This issue s/h been addressed in the off season BUT I also understand you want that veteran to train Reid and with added emphasis on the front 7 rotation and pass rush, Baalke felt we could get by one more year with Hitner. But it continues to be our achilles and will continue against ANY team that can throw and do simple scouting. Hitner is almost always the target...even over the rookie, Reid.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
Catch the ball with two feet down and its a touchdown. Play was technically over. Then the receiver was hit. In the field of play you can hit after e catch. Not in the endzone.

That's not true. You have to complete the "process" for a catch, even in the endzone. That includes two feet down, and maintaining possession of the ball after you fall to the ground.
Originally posted by boast:
Catch the ball with two feet down and its a touchdown. Play was technically over. Then the receiver was hit. In the field of play you can hit after e catch. Not in the endzone.

huh? both feet never touched the ground.

I dont even think one foot hit the ground

agreed. Not a TD yet. These flags are b******t. Whitner's hits are legal.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just out of some idiotic curiosity on my part,..

1. Who do the geniuses who want Hitner gone think would replace him?
2. Why do you think you are smarter than the rest of the team who loves having him in the position?
3. He is a strong safety not a free safety so don't use the worthless idea that he is soft in coverage.
4. How are you going to "fantasy football" or "madden" one of the top 3 strong safeties to replace him without costing the 49ers badly.
5. Who would be a better field general and defense play caller real time?
6. How did you figure out he stinks whereas Harbaugh is dumb?

Just wondering.

Agreed. Way too late now. Dahl? LOL...Spillman?

In this 3-4 defense where both S's are interchangeable (and the way the NFL is going - fines for legal hits and monster emphasis on the passng game), we need another FS to play opposite Reid...someone with very good coverage skills and range.

Just look at that TD...both Brown and Whitner aren't even within 3 yards of a simple pitch-and-catch TD right in the middle of the field (and with underneath help from the LB). Remember, Hitner gave up 13 TD's last year alone including accountability on the first 3 TD's in the Superbowl. This issue s/h been addressed in the off season BUT I also understand you want that veteran to train Reid and with added emphasis on the front 7 rotation and pass rush, Baalke felt we could get by one more year with Hitner. But it continues to be our achilles and will continue against ANY team that can throw and do simple scouting. Hitner is almost always the target...even over the rookie, Reid.

Brown is so overrated by a lot. Culliver is our best CB when healthy. Rogers is better than Brown IMO, but not by a lot. Nnamdi is garbage right now. Brock is meh, Cox is a good one. We need depth big time, hoping Wright comes back.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Brown is so overrated by a lot. Culliver is our best CB when healthy. Rogers is better than Brown IMO, but not by a lot. Nnamdi is garbage right now. Brock is meh, Cox is a good one. We need depth big time, hoping Wright comes back.

True...I'm very intrigued by Wright myself. Hmmmm

Possible our two best long term answers at CB are on injury sabbatical?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Possible our two best long term answers at CB are on injury sabbatical?

Might be! And don't forget about Morris in the slot either!
agreed. Not a TD yet. These flags are b******t. Whitner's hits are legal.

They threw the flag because the hit was on a defenseless player. I don't see how that is because would'nt most WRs be defenseless? All you have to do is jump for each pass and a flag will be thrown if hit.
Might be! And don't forget about Morris in the slot either!

I really wish they would give Morris a shot. He has amazing quickness and closing speed - the kind of speed that would allow him to bait quarterbacks into throwing.

Originally posted by darkknight49:

I dont even think one foot hit the ground
Nice. Yup, upon further review it was not a td and whitner did not aim deliberately for the head. NFL owes him money.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Who is Donte Whitner?

I don't know why people are still talking about him. He has recently been replaced by Donte Hitner, and I think it will be an upgrade.

The play is not over if two feet touch the ground with possession. The play is over when after you hit the ground, you maintain control of the football throughout the entire process of the catch. Ask Calvin Johnson for the details of that rule.
What kills me about that fine is that the NFL must have looked at the play in slow motion and when you do that, you can clearly see that Hitner is going low with his shoulder and trying hard not to hit with his helmet and the receiver goes low too. I really don't understand that one. I expected them to look at it and for the second week in a row say he shouldn't have been called.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
What kills me about that fine is that the NFL must have looked at the play in slow motion and when you do that, you can clearly see that Hitner is going low with his shoulder and trying hard not to hit with his helmet and the receiver goes low too. I really don't understand that one. I expected them to look at it and for the second week in a row say he shouldn't have been called.

Whitner made that hit. Not Hitner. Hitner is the guy we brought in to replace Whitner, because Whitner was getting too many penalties/fines.
Share 49ersWebzone