There are 170 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerG94:
My only question about this signing is why a 3 year deal? Why not 1 or 2. This guy doesn't seem to offer much outside of special teams and I have a hard time believing there were too many teams out there vying for his services in the secondary. Is he that awesome of special teams player??

The length of this contract means very little when the guaranteed money is less than a million. This signing is being way too scrutinized.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM ]
True and jettisoning him at any time will not hurt the 49ers but is he really a good special teams player. I really don't know. Still seems we were deep with backup safeties as it is. We need quality back there but maybe Spillman really is ready to step up. If so this would make more sense to me.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
True and jettisoning him at any time will not hurt the 49ers but is he really a good special teams player. I really don't know. Still seems we were deep with backup safeties as it is. We need quality back there but maybe Spillman really is ready to step up. If so this would make more sense to me.

I doubt Spillman will ever be our starting FS. Perhaps he'll be our 2014 starting SS if Whitner is not re-signed though.
this signing blows. RIP 2013 season.
Dahl has so little name recognition, I seen the thread title and thought it was a new signing. Goodness, I forgot about this one already.
Originally posted by fister30:
Dahl has so little name recognition, I seen the thread title and thought it was a new signing. Goodness, I forgot about this one already.

Hahahaha. Sadly, this was the case with me as well.
Originally posted by fister30:

but this thread is 34 pages long.

Goodness.
I can't even pronounce his name let alone know who he is.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
this signing blows. RIP 2013 season.

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH

Goddamn doomsaying is annoying. You don't know.
[ Edited by xtm059 on Mar 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
don't over react folks....if still sign an older vet FS and he gets injuried....Craig will step right in.

he has experience in the NFC WEST... look how well he contains the Beast.

THANK GOD he is on our side now!

Seahawks are in trouble!

LMAO!! Great post! Why are these guys making Dahl out to be a formidable replacement based solely on "In Baalke I trust"?

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Let's all take a step back and see this signing for what it really is. Dahl is NOT being signed as THE replacement for Dashon Goldson. If anything, he is being signed as the replacement for long lost Colin Jones who they traded away before last season to the Panthers.

Dahl is being signed for depth and his special teams ability, nothing more. Baalke is trying to rebuild an area of our team that slipped last year because we lost some key contributors (Costanzo, Jones, etc.). Not one of you were concerned when they signed Dan Skuta because it is obvious that he is not being asked to replace Willis or Bowman. Call me crazy, but that is pretty obvious to me.

One last thing, if the Niners made this move AFTER the draft, I would be worried. I think they have plenty of opportunities to find the next Goldson in late April. Take a deep breath, Zoners. This is not the end of the story at FS.

There are two holes in this statement which skews your logic.

1. Using the Skuta example as proof that Dahl is not a replacement. You would have a good point if say we lost one of our MLB's and the FO signed Skuta before finding a formidable replacement. Because that is the situation as far as the safety position. But we lost a very important piece in our secondary and we sign a potential 3rd string safety after watching 5 or 6 days of decent DB's fall off of the board? Thats next to stupidity.

2. Hoping the Niners "find the next Goldson in April". This is a move that would be best if we either won the SB or are in a rebuilding stage. It is not astute to not reach the zenith, then put complete faith in coaching a rookie on the fly and expect him to perform as well as Goldson in hostile playoff conditions, and have the same impact. Its more unreasonable than anything.

If the 9ers have strong confidence in signing Darrelle Revis, Woodson or Reed, only then will the rookie or Dahl be understandable. Anything other than that, It would seem that we have a strictly gem searching for much of nothing FO like the Patriots. Using that formula will get you to 2nd of 3rd place, but not the promise land.

To your points:

1. The DB's that signed before we signed Dahl........how much did they sign for? The Niners signings are all modest dollar signings. Baalke is more inclined to build through the draft rather than make a big dollar free agent signing. The reason why they let Goldson hit the market is they knew someone was willing to pay him $ 8 million per and they were not.

2. Our secondary was torched in the playoffs, including Goldson (.....remember Julio Jones in ATL). You have to trust that Baalke will sign another reasonably priced free agent or be able to find the best coverage FS in the draft. It's not over yet.

You have to first be reasonable in order to know what reasonably priced is. Now ask yourself what is the REASON for making these moves? Is it to save money, or win a championship? Does Dahl or any move they have made in the secondary so far put us in a better position than we were last season? Then ask did the secondary get better or worst? Its now a week since your last response to me and STILL Dahl is the best FS on the roster. Are you still so confident in Baalke to put him in the infallable bracket?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
You have to first be reasonable in order to know what reasonably priced is. Now ask yourself what is the REASON for making these moves? Is it to save money, or win a championship? Does Dahl or any move they have made in the secondary so far put us in a better position than we were last season? Then ask did the secondary get better or worst? Its now a week since your last response to me and STILL Dahl is the best FS on the roster. Are you still so confident in Baalke to put him in the infallable bracket?

You might want to consider waiting until the roster is complete before you judge it.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by braap49er:
why the f**k would we sign this scrub?

Dude has red eyes, man... he'll be great if we play on Halloween night
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacninesixteen:
If this guy starts we're f**ked.

rumor has it, Niners are drafting a safety with their LAST 7th rd pick... Dahl will back him up!
You guys are hilarious. Some of you guys act like Dahl is a disease that will infect the entire roster.
Share 49ersWebzone