LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I like how we have a 30+ page thread on a guy that will probably not do much besides ST and occasional defense LOL

This thread is filled with so much fail it's hilarious.

You could float a boat on the tears cried by the overreacters in this thread.

Some of y'all act like our season is forfeit because we signed a back S/ST player.

That is being a little harsh. It isn't like any of us are acting like Singletary is our couch. At least I hope not....
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN
S Craig Dahl officially signed three-year, $5.25 million contract w/ 49ers, including $700,000 signing bonus, source said. 2013 cap: $1.78M.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I like how we have a 30+ page thread on a guy that will probably not do much besides ST and occasional defense LOL

You know it's the f**king off-season when there is a 30+ page thread on Craig "f**king" Dahl
Everyone still standing on the ledge over this signing? Wow. Just, WOW.
"The decision to bring in Craig does not rule out anything moving forward," Baalke said. "Craig understands that. We've got a position to fill. We got guys inside, within our own organization prior to signing Craig who will also be competing for that spot. And it's not to say we're not going to bring in another unrestricted free agent or draft picks or college free agents to compete for that spot, as well."

Baalke said the 49ers have not yet considered the possibility of moving Culliver, the third cornerback, who played a lot of safety at South Carolina before the 49ers invested a third-round pick on him in 2011.

"When we drafted him, we understood at that time, his versatility was an attraction to us," Baalke said. "Does that mean we'll be looking to him to move to that position? That has not been discussed at this point."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/asomugha-remains-option-baalke-builds-49ers-roster
*double post*
[ Edited by slowriot on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Beeker:
Everyone still standing on the ledge over this signing? Wow. Just, WOW.

I encourage those who still are to go ahead and jump.
From many pages back, no this is NOT the replacement for goldson. Goldson is a great tackler, but for 8 or 9 or 12 million, way overpriced, AND he couldn't stop the jumpball passes on the left side of our D. Nor could anybody else. Our starting corner is coming thru the draft, and unfortunately,, may be a bit higher than we had wanted. I just don't see any FS out there with tons of Probowl talent . Goldson had it, but it did no good against Anquan and his two buds, which just killed us. Anybody playing us in the future is going to use the jumpball pass on 3rd down and RZ all day, unless we come up with a guy who can beat the jumpball....maybe a tall WR who can jump , but has bad hands, and convert him to FS? Oh well...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
From many pages back, no this is NOT the replacement for goldson. Goldson is a great tackler, but for 8 or 9 or 12 million, way overpriced, AND he couldn't stop the jumpball passes on the left side of our D. Nor could anybody else. Our starting corner is coming thru the draft, and unfortunately,, may be a bit higher than we had wanted. I just don't see any FS out there with tons of Probowl talent . Goldson had it, but it did no good against Anquan and his two buds, which just killed us. Anybody playing us in the future is going to use the jumpball pass on 3rd down and RZ all day, unless we come up with a guy who can beat the jumpball....maybe a tall WR who can jump , but has bad hands, and convert him to FS? Oh well...
Hi doc. You're really sold on the "convert a tall WR to CB" idea. lol. It might work, who knows.

I think they should draft that 6'8" DL (Hunt?), and then play him and 6'8" Alex Boone at CBs on those "jump ball" type plays. (Also would be good on extra points and field goals!)

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I don't now if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but I haven't seen it until today.

Dahl is listed as a SS on the 49ers roster webpage.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

Doesn't mean much, but I thought it was odd. Especially considering he's the only safety listed as strong or free.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000093207/Crabtree-14-yard-TD-catch

There's our new FS
My only question about this signing is why a 3 year deal? Why not 1 or 2. This guy doesn't seem to offer much outside of special teams and I have a hard time believing there were too many teams out there vying for his services in the secondary. Is he that awesome of special teams player??
Some of you guys are true homers.

I trust in Baalke/Harbaugh but they arent invincible. Dahl is NOT a starting quality safety. I trust them enough to believe that they got him as a 3rd safety.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Some of you guys are true homers.

I trust in Baalke/Harbaugh but they arent invincible. Dahl is NOT a starting quality safety. I trust them enough to believe that they got him as a 3rd safety.

This!

If this guy ends up starting we are f**ked
Even if we still had dashon, we still couldn't stop the left sideline jumpball pass. Ravens cleaned our clock with that one play at least a dozen times, and maybe it was more. DAshon was a great tackler. But tackling a WR who just caught another jumpball on flacco's right side didn't help us one whit. The ideal guy is some rangy WR from nowhere's ville, who is 6'7" and can jump vertical 4.5 feet, has strong hands, and can cover like a wet blanket on a hot fire. Honestly, I would love to see the tallest WR out there in camp to see if he could be converted to defend the one play dashon nor anybody else NEVER defended, the jumpball sideline pass. Making the tackle, like dashon, didn't stop the chains from moving. Anyone question if the entire league tries to wrap that play around our necks this coming yr? Guys like Gonzalez, the Ravens two remaining WRs, plus a couple others are the usual suspects. But we gotta stop that play this yr or we don't win bumpkus.

I suspect trent and JH have been working exactly on that one dammed play...ie, how to defense it. Maybe it takes a gang of 8. More likely, it would have been harder to complete if flacco was on his back after every pass he threw, or tried to throw. Do I think Fangio has fault in this? Bet your boots. Like they say, if you can't cover, Blitz....and fangio was allergic to that call against flacco...a shame.

Hey oldninerdude, yes, I do like the idea, but the problem of finding a guy like that is...well, it just seems impossible. But until you try something different, all we got is a bunch of tall WRs that rule our CBs and Ss. That one darn play just poleaxed us, and JH had no idea how to defend it. Wish he would have had fangio blitz all out on those plays. But heck, who knows if even that would work. To be that tall and that good an athlete to cover really tall , strong WRs....jeez, that is a tall order.

Your question about a LB covering, or specifically , Aldon covering the left side, playing CB or SS...now that would have been fun to watch. He's athletic enough, no question about that. Would it work? I dunno...but I would love to have seen it....#99 playing left corner or SS. Imagine that. And yes, I have thot a lot about it...with no answers.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone