There are 163 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Originally posted by 49erMike:
Every year that Baalke taken over as GM, the 9ers have improved. And every year people whine and complain because he doesn't do it THEIR way.

When Baalke took over there was no other way to go but up. The organization was in the basement for the last decade. A lot of talent was already on the roster and you can thank Harbaugh and the coaching staff for the major improvement. Baalke just signed a safety that even the Rams didn't want back on the roster. This guy sucks and in no way,shape or form is he a starting safety in the NFL. We need secondary help bad and let me explain this to you. Talib and Rogers Cromartie just signed 1 year and 5 million dollar deals. Sean Smith the big CB type Baalke said we needed just signed for 6 million a year. Ed Reed is still on the market and we signed this clown. Dahl wasn't getting this deal from any other team in the legue. There were good deals to be made on this slow market and Baalke sat on his hands and did nothing. Instead we signed special team players that we could've drafted in rounds 5 thru 7. Now we're placed into a position of having to play rookies in the secondary from day 1 or starting a scrub like Dahl. Just perfect Baalke you've placed our super bowl dreams in the hands of the unknown.

Check your calendar. IT'S MARCH ! It's one week into free agency. Good god
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
in for the reactions

HEY!!! THAT AIN'T FUNNY!!!!!!
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Someone to back up Kenny Vaccaro

More like Eric Reid.

Ed Reed is NOT going to be a 49er. He will resign with the Joevens or sign with the Texans.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
So many chicken littles in this thread, I'm now dumber for having come in here. Thanks.

there are alot of good posters trying to make sense and talk some sense into some people but it just gets lost in the noise of everyone screeching that the season is lost and we are now a bottom dwellar because we did not over pay for charles woodson

I get it, it's just becoming a chore to sift through the drivel in order to find informed posts from people whose opinions I actually respect (yourself, Marvin, etc.).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Are we getting 2002 Charles Woodson? Because I'm not sure why there is such a need to sign him.

esp if he wants the sun and the moon, will be 37 years old in a couple of months and some people think we HAVE to get him or our dreams for another deep playoff run are over,, lol.. just another example of the team getting the "right" type of guy and not the sexy big name. what the term "right" mean? i do not know but the coaches and front office know so that is all i need to know cuz its has worked out pretty well for us so far
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Beeker:

More like Eric Reid.

Ed Reed is NOT going to be a 49er. He will resign with the Joevens or sign with the Texans.
i do not who eric reid is but i will be curious to see what ed reed does. do you think he is using the texans for leverage? i thought all along the ravens would put a full court press on to keep him as their fan base is foaming at the mouth out there
Every year that Baalke taken over as GM, the 9ers have improved. And every year people whine and complain because he doesn't do it THEIR way.

When Baalke took over there was no other way to go but up. The organization was in the basement for the last decade. A lot of talent was already on the roster and you can thank Harbaugh and the coaching staff for the major improvement. Baalke just signed a safety that even the Rams didn't want back on the roster. This guy sucks and in no way,shape or form is he a starting safety in the NFL. We need secondary help bad and let me explain this to you. Talib and Rogers Cromartie just signed 1 year and 5 million dollar deals. Sean Smith the big CB type Baalke said we needed just signed for 6 million a year. Ed Reed is still on the market and we signed this clown. Dahl wasn't getting this deal from any other team in the legue. There were good deals to be made on this slow market and Baalke sat on his hands and did nothing. Instead we signed special team players that we could've drafted in rounds 5 thru 7. Now we're placed into a position of having to play rookies in the secondary from day 1 or starting a scrub like Dahl. Just perfect Baalke you've placed our super bowl dreams in the hands of the unknown.

Nothing in either of your posts have you suggested overpaying for anyone or go against what Baalke has been strategically known to do. You never stated that the seahawks already won anything, however they did sign decent players and against a homer's mentality, they were already a good team that may be a bit better now with some signings. Carlos Rogers being signed through free agency was a bigger signing than Dahl this year so, to hope for your team to sign for a better name and a better man suited for a hole in the defense doesn't seem unreasonable or asking too much.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Check your calendar. IT'S MARCH ! It's one week into free agency. Good god
the sad thing is this is the way they have done it for the last two years and some people still roll out the shock and awe and of course the old expressions of how cheap we are and how we lowball people and how we need to sign someone RIGHT GOD DAMN NOW OR THE SEASON IS OVER!!!! gotta dust off those old pearl harbor 911 giant news paper head lines i guess
i do not who eric reid is but i will be curious to see what ed reed does. do you think he is using the texans for leverage? i thought all along the ravens would put a full court press on to keep him as their fan base is foaming at the mouth out there

I think Reed truly intends on staying in Baltimore and did all along, it was the business approach to say look I went to Houston, spoke to SF etc, here is what they have can you match or average the offers as well as he may consider a hometown discount.
Originally posted by Beeker:

More like Eric Reid.

I do think that to be the case, and yes, I misread ERIC Reid as ED Reed .... My bad

No worries guys. Craig Curry will most likely be a ST guy and backup. Unless Baalke saw some untapped potential or is beginning to think he has the Midas touch, Dahl may not be our true starter at FS.
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Nothing in either of your posts have you suggested overpaying for anyone or go against what Baalke has been strategically known to do. You never stated that the seahawks already won anything, however they did sign decent players and against a homer's mentality, they were already a good team that may be a bit better now with some signings. Carlos Rogers being signed through free agency was a bigger signing than Dahl this year so, to hope for your team to sign for a better name and a better man suited for a hole in the defense doesn't seem unreasonable or asking too much.

Thank you very much for not saying everything Baalke does is correct and great. I'll go on record right now and say we can't win a super bowl with the current state of our secondary.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
No worries guys. Craig Curry will most likely be a ST guy and backup. Unless Baalke saw some untapped potential or is beginning to think he has the Midas touch, Dahl may not be our true starter at FS.

i look at dahl as a person who can play both free and strong in a pinch, upgrade special teams, young, some knowledge of the rams system and just overall the right type of player the coaches like without a hefty price tag. i am fine with it
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Let's all take a step back and see this signing for what it really is. Dahl is NOT being signed as THE replacement for Dashon Goldson. If anything, he is being signed as the replacement for long lost Colin Jones who they traded away before last season to the Panthers.

Dahl is being signed for depth and his special teams ability, nothing more. Baalke is trying to rebuild an area of our team that slipped last year because we lost some key contributors (Costanzo, Jones, etc.). Not one of you were concerned when they signed Dan Skuta because it is obvious that he is not being asked to replace Willis or Bowman. Call me crazy, but that is pretty obvious to me.

One last thing, if the Niners made this move AFTER the draft, I would be worried. I think they have plenty of opportunities to find the next Goldson in late April. Take a deep breath, Zoners. This is not the end of the story at FS.

I just don't think this move makes much sense.

Safety is one of the most challenging positions for a rookie to learn coming into the NFL and unless we are prepared to see a lot of blown coverages in the secondary we don't want to be depending on our draft pick to man that position. So we still need to sign a veteran FS (like Michael Huff or Kerry Rhodes) and we now have that much less cap space to do this.

This move would make sense if we needed depth a safety, but our problem isn't depth, we need a starting caliber replacement. We already have CJ Spillman who was our best special teamer the past couple years, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas from the practice squad + a likely high draft pick on a safety. If we keep Dahl and Spillman and our draft pick, we have to cut Robinson who might be important to keep since we'll be losing Whitner next year. And how many special teamers can we really afford to keep at one position anyways? If we cut Spillman we replace one good special teams player for another.

No 3 years for 5 million isn't a lot of money. But when we have holes to fill and limited cap space to do it every dollar counts and spending money on a guy who isn't starting material and has a good chance of being cut is a questionable move at this point imo.

If you were worried about a rookie playing safety and blowing coverages, just look at the Falcons game tape and you will see our former Pro Bowl safety let Julio Jones run right by him for the initial score of the game. It happens to everyone now and again. Having a rookie start at QB before last year was considered ridiculous and look at how that turned out for the Dolphins, Colts, Redskins and Seahawks. You either trust that Baalke will pick up a great FS in the draft capable of starting or you don't.

Dahl's deal really only has the Niners on the hook for $ 800k guaranteed money. It will be a straight up competition among him, Robinson, Thomas, Spillman and whomever else they add to the mix. Next man up as far as I'm concerned. It may not be the fantastic move that we have come to expect from our front office, but it doesn't scare me either.
Thank you very much for not saying everything Baalke does is correct and great. I'll go on record right now and say we can't win a super bowl with the current state of our secondary.

Good thing the Super Bowl isn't coming up later today.

We still have the remainder of free agency and a draft in which we have an enormous amount of ammunition at our disposal. Relax.
Share 49ersWebzone