LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Ravens and Joe Flacco agree on new deal

Shop 49ers game tickets
That's too much money for Flacco.
Who cares?
Originally posted by Wubbie:
He isn't the centerpiece of his offense like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady are, and he has a great surrounding cast.
But you can't deny his post-season career. The guy is incredibly in January and February. What makes it crazier is that he's got a bunch of ROAD wins. That's incredibly tough to win in the playoffs, on the road.

I don't know about making him the highest-paid QB in the league, but I can definitely agree that he deserves a top 5 contract.

Okay, MAYBE just MAYBE one could argue Flacco deserves a top 5 contract now, but him being the highest paid QB ever?? Heck no.

I personally think Flacco still hasn't proven he's worthy of a top 5 contract. I think the Ravens would've been smarter to add more conditions to the contract enforcing him to show he can play like he did this past year on a consistent basis at least for another year before rewarding him with all that cash.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Best contract postseason of all time, not year. He was extremely mediocre this year.

59.7 comp.%, 3817 yds, 22 TD, 10 INT

Plus, if you look at the QBR chart for 2012, you have to scroll all the way down to 25th place to find Flacco's name. 46.8 QBR. Topped by BOTH Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck.

Hes a rich man's Alex Smith. Theres nothing wrong with having a Joe Flacco, but to pay him like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc? Its ridiculous.

He had the best year of any QB. Postseason >>>>>>>>> Regular Season. The Ravens cannot possibly low ball him after what he did in January and February. Every QB would gladly trade their season for Flacco's.

Youre missing the point. The point is, hes not the main reason the Ravens keep making the postseason. You pay a QB not only for what they can do in the playoffs, but their ability to lead you there. Joe Flacco is not the reason the Ravens make the playoffs every year. Hes always been a very mediocre regular season QB. Their D had always been a big part of their success, and now its getting old.

Regardless of how good a postseason Joe Flacco had, hes not worth being the highest paid player in the NFL. Hes not even worth top 5 money. you could even argue hes not worth top TEN money. I can easily find 10 QB's id rather have.

The Ravens were in a tough spot, I agree. Flacco put himself in a very good position to make big money, but hes going to be the most overpaid player in the NFL for years to come. He got Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees money! For 6 years. All because of one postseason. All technically because of one HORRIBLE blown deep coverage by Rahim Moore of the Denver Broncos. If he stays in textbook position for that play, theres no miracle catch, and the Ravens season ends in the 2nd round.

Its insane that hes getting paid that much. Hes not the kind of QB that you make the highest paid player of all time, for fear you might lose him. Hes a top 10-15 QB, which ISNT a franchise type guy that deserves franchise long term money. Hes just not. You offer him something more reasonable, and if he says "not acceptable", then you start making a plan B for QB. You cant put your team in that kind of cap bind for the next 6 years for a QB like Joe Flacco. Its irresponsible.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Im calling it now, his contract if its for 20 million a season or more will screw this franchise for a long time. Im glad too

I agree, he's not a regular season type of 'QB', he's like the opposite of Peyton Manning, plays like garbage only UNTIL he cracks the post-season. -But even just to lead his team into the playoffs he needs 'everything' to go right for him (ala Alex Smith), and that contract is gonna kill off a lot of players who helped him get there (not to mention players already leaving/retiring).

-To be honest, I see the Ravens having a crap free agency, and a crap draft, with a 9-7 season, missing the playoffs ala the Giants.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Best contract postseason of all time, not year. He was extremely mediocre this year.

59.7 comp.%, 3817 yds, 22 TD, 10 INT

Plus, if you look at the QBR chart for 2012, you have to scroll all the way down to 25th place to find Flacco's name. 46.8 QBR. Topped by BOTH Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck.

Hes a rich man's Alex Smith. Theres nothing wrong with having a Joe Flacco, but to pay him like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc? Its ridiculous.

He had the best year of any QB. Postseason >>>>>>>>> Regular Season. The Ravens cannot possibly low ball him after what he did in January and February. Every QB would gladly trade their season for Flacco's.

Yeah, wait until the Ravens don't make the post-season next year. Then let's see how great his post-season numbers are.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Ultimately, Ravens got Flacco for seven years, $127.3 million http://bit.ly/Xyyisu
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's too much money for Flacco.

This. He's nowhere near the best player in the league yet is the highest paid player ever. Not like the Ravens had much choice tho. Fresh off a SB win, he had all the leverage to demand what he wanted.

I bet Kaep's next contract will trump this. Than RGIII will get an even bigger deal. Than Luck's next deal will set the bar. And so on, and so forth.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Career QB rating of 86.....60% completion percentage.....highest paid QB in the NFL. Wow.

Check his playoff numbers. Also, QB rating and completion percentage are things that have been overrated by a select group of people on here.

Should he be the highest paid QB? No. But he's damn good.

Furhtermore,hearing some of the crap about him being mediocre, then all over the board seeing Smith being hailed as a top QB is extremely strange.

Mediocre?

Under the freaking Cam Cameron

22TD 10INT 3817 yards
20TD 12INT 3610 yards
25TD 10INT 3622 yards

...in his last 3 seasons including a super bowl win and 2 AFCCG appearances. Give me a break.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM ]
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Check his playoff numbers. Also, QB rating and completion percentage are things that have been overrated by a select group of people on here.

Furhtermore,hearing some of the crap about him being mediocre, then all over the board seeing Smith being hailed as a top QB is extremely strange.

Mediocre?

22TD 10INT 3817 yards
20TD 12INT 3610 yards
25TD 10INT 3622 yards

...in his last 3 seasons including a super bowl win and 2 AFCCG appearances. Give me a break.

Let it go bro. Let's hope Kaep improves on his slow starts in year 3 with this offense.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Mar 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM ]

Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

Mediocre?

22TD 10INT 3817 yards
20TD 12INT 3610 yards
25TD 10INT 3622 yards

Those numbers don't deserve 20 mill a year.
Look at Brady and Manning's numbers. That deserves 20 mill a year. Flacco isn't a top 10 quarterback.
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Mar 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM ]
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Those numbers don't deserve 20 mill a year.
Look at Brady and Manning's numbers. That deserves 20 mill a year. Flacco isn't a top 10 quarterback.

Top 10 in my book

1. Kaepernick SF
2. Rodgers GB
3. Luck IND
4. E Manning NYG
5. Brees NO
6. Griffin III WAS
7. Wilson SEA
8. Newton CAR
9. Flacco BAL
10. Ryan ATL

No Brady or Peyton as they are 36 and 37 years old. Would you trade Kaepernick for maybe one or two years from those guys? Didn't think so. All of the above are $20 mil / year worthy guys.
Flacco throws punts. $20M? Now that's funny.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, Flacco got the big payday because he's clutch in the playoffs. Perfect storm for him to win the Super Bowl as he was entering free agency.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:36 AM ]
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Let it go bro. Let's hope Kaep improves on his slow starts in year 3 with this offense.

Keep instigating, dude. It shows just how painful the last week has been for you.
Share 49ersWebzone