LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

NFL could change dates of combine, free agency and draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

NFL is proposing to overhaul its calendar, pushing back the combine to early March, free agency to early April, and the draft to early May.
Why is that?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog

4 months of pre-draft! RT @AdamSchefter: NFL proposing to push back combine to early March, free agency to early April, draft to early May.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Idea of overhauled calendar is to lengthen NFL off-season and make football relevant over longer period with one big event each month.

Under proposal, all NFL teams also would kick off training camp on same summer day, making it the official launch of the football season.
They will probably start having regional combines and then the top of those regional will get to go to the main combine. It will give the guys from the small schools a chance to be seen and a chance to get invited to the main combine....

And of course it will all be televised on NFL channel and we will be setting around our T.V's rooting for certain players to make it to the next round. The NFL has already figured out how to make money in the offseason with televising the combine, splitting up the draft and having the first round in primetime...It's all about making money
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
They will probably start having regional combines and then the top of those regional will get to go to the main combine. It will give the guys from the small schools a chance to be seen and a chance to get invited to the main combine....

And of course it will all be televised on NFL channel and we will be setting around our T.V's rooting for certain players to make it to the next round. The NFL has already figured out how to make money in the offseason with televising the combine, splitting up the draft and having the first round in primetime...It's all about making money

Awful Announcing ‏@awfulannouncing
If the NFL combine becomes a sports version of American Idol, does this mean Mike Mayock becomes Simon Cowell? http://bit.ly/Yeuv2G
might as well be futbol
Was listening to Sirius/XM nfl channel this morning and Ross Tucker with Bob Papa (i think) and they were talking about just this thing....The NFL trying to American Idol the future combine and draft for T.V. ratings..... which equals more money....Cause I guarantee we will watch it in masses.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM ]
  • fip24
  • Veteran
I hope the NFL does something to help, as this is the worst time of the year from a sports perspective. The few weeks in between the Super Bowl and the start of March Madness/MLB season suck. I can't force myself to watch regular season NBA or NHL

The wait for the draft is long enough as it is........not a big fan of the idea of even more combines.....especially since the top prospects will be bouncing out on them as it is.

dumb
Repositioning the off season for a future 18 game schedule?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
the nfl has changed
Originally posted by susweel:
the nfl has changed

I agree
Originally posted by susweel:
the nfl has changed

but the players are still the same
Share 49ersWebzone