There are 267 users in the forums

Alternative name for the Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
a "Brave" in our tribe is a boy approaching manhood , a "chief" is a leader of the people ...a "redskin" is a name created by bigots with the intention to hurt our feelings ...haven't really heard the name used as much as it was back in the 70's ...but it was usually accompanied by "dirty f*cking redskin" ...the funny part was, it was always used by country white folks who never took their hygiene seriously ...so it was never all that hurtful to us ...like I said before, we have been called much much worse
I don't mean to offend by this comment...by i always thought there was a tribe of something named Redskins ..isn't there tribe or group ?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
This is a very valid point.

I'd also wager that 90% of non NFL fans would not know what Redskins refer to or that it is a racial slur.

Of course the counter argument to your statistic is that while there are maybe 3 million pure Native Americans in the US, there probably is quite a bit more mixed Americans with N.A. heritage. I think we have all met an American Indian mutt or two in our lifetime.

The whole thing is very annoying. And if Redskins are bad, what about Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs?

Why should Chiefs and Braves be a problem? Is it not correct that these are terms they used? Whereas Redskin was a derogatory title used by the white man?

a "Brave" in our tribe is a boy approaching manhood , a "chief" is a leader of the people ...a "redskin" is a name created by bigots with the intention to hurt our feelings ...haven't really heard the name used as much as it was back in the 70's ...but it was usually accompanied by "dirty f*cking redskin" ...the funny part was, it was always used by country white folks who never took their hygiene seriously ...so it was never all that hurtful to us ...like I said before, we have been called much much worse

Isnt the term "Red skin" the same thing as calling someone elses skin "black", or "white"?

Obviously nobody has truly red, white, or black skin. Theyre just all different shades of pigmentation. The terms came about to describe appearance due to lack of a specific color description.

The team was named after native Americans in a proud manner. The nickname is outdated, but its a throwback to that era. There is no hatred for native Americans coming from the Washington Redskins organization in any form.

Even if the term was considered hateful, its a retired word that holds no harmful meaning anymore. Think of the team name as an educational history book reference.

If white people dont mind being called "white", and black people dont mind being called "black", why would native Americans mind being called "red"?
Washington Warthogs, so then the hog gets would make more sense.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

The funny thing is, no white people would be offended by this, and all the sensitive minority rights groups would complain that the team being named after white people was white elitism.

Same reason why you can have a dating website called "black people meet", but if there was a "white people meet" dating site it would be considered racist.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
DC Sperm Bellies
Originally posted by Niners99:
Isnt the term "Red skin" the same thing as calling someone elses skin "black", or "white"?

Obviously nobody has truly red, white, or black skin. Theyre just all different shades of pigmentation. The terms came about to describe appearance due to lack of a specific color description.

The team was named after native Americans in a proud manner. The nickname is outdated, but its a throwback to that era. There is no hatred for native Americans coming from the Washington Redskins organization in any form.

Even if the term was considered hateful, its a retired word that holds no harmful meaning anymore. Think of the team name as an educational history book reference.

If white people dont mind being called "white", and black people dont mind being called "black", why would native Americans mind being called "red"?

lol do you even history or do you just type random thoughts? Research the term, you are minimalizing the definition.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hog Town Guzzlers
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
This is a very valid point.

I'd also wager that 90% of non NFL fans would not know what Redskins refer to or that it is a racial slur.

Of course the counter argument to your statistic is that while there are maybe 3 million pure Native Americans in the US, there probably is quite a bit more mixed Americans with N.A. heritage. I think we have all met an American Indian mutt or two in our lifetime.

The whole thing is very annoying. And if Redskins are bad, what about Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs?

Why should Chiefs and Braves be a problem? Is it not correct that these are terms they used? Whereas Redskin was a derogatory title used by the white man?

Literally yes it's the same, but in our history the term "Redskin" was used in a derogatory fashion regularly. Redskin was often times said with a disgusted twist to the mouth and a swear or two. Make no mistake it really is no different than having a team named The Alabama Ni@@ers, to some Native Americans .

Share 49ersWebzone