LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Alternative name for the Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
The genocide and abuse by Europeans to the true Americans can never be corrected. A people living in harmony with the environment are uprooted and annihilated in the name of the all mighty dollar. The Constitution declared all men are created equal, except true Americans or women for that matter, but that's another page of history. Change the name.
I'm sure people would be offended if they were the Washington "Crackers" or the "Peckerwoods" .......just as insulting as Redskin

but again , I'm not one of the natives fighting for the name change , as I said before, the majority of us that live on the reservation I reside have more important issues to deal with ....we are fighting to keep our culture alive, and improve the quality of life for our tribal members, we'll leave that redskins logo stuff to the urban "designer indians" who enjoy getting their faces and names printed in the newspapers
Washington free masons
The Washington Slime
On a serious note, what if they just shortened the name to Skins? They get called the 'Skins sometimes anyway. Maybe change to a Nationals style "W" for the logo?
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm sure people would be offended if they were the Washington "Crackers" or the "Peckerwoods" .......just as insulting as Redskin

but again , I'm not one of the natives fighting for the name change , as I said before, the majority of us that live on the reservation I reside have more important issues to deal with ....we are fighting to keep our culture alive, and improve the quality of life for our tribal members, we'll leave that redskins logo stuff to the urban "designer indians" who enjoy getting their faces and names printed in the newspapers

lol you clearly dont know white people very well if you think the term "cracker" offends them.

Nobody seems to have a problem with the Vikings logo. Its incredibly stereotypical. Vikings didnt even wear horned helmets. That was added for dramatic affect in the Renaissance era for theater when portraying vikings, and everyone from then on out just assumed it to be true.

The name "Redskins" is a historic reference. IMO this has nothing to do with race. Back in the days they are referencing for their team name, Native Americans were called "Redskins" in slang, just like im sure white people were called many different things by Natives. The logo and colors represent Native American pride. Getting hung up on the old time slang is missing the point entirely.

The original founder of the team chose the name to represent his brand. If it was in any way negative, why would he name his team that?

I still think they should change the logo to a potato, and keep the name. All the petty politics and phony outrage will then have only lost Native Americans a team representing their heritage.
From PFT

Getty Images
The Washington Redskins aren't ready to stop using their name, but a major newspaper in another city is.

Per multiple industry sources, the San Francisco Chronicle has decided to no longer print the term "Redskins."

No announcement has been made, and it's not known whether an announcement is coming. It's possible, we're told, that the change will be explained in a column.

Regardless, the decision was communicated internally on Friday, October 25. The 49ers play at Washington on Monday, November 25.

On Wednesday, representatives from the Oneida Indian Nation will meet with NFL executives regarding the opposition to the team's name. Team owner Daniel Snyder reportedly told Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday that Snyder has no plans to change the name.

Other media organizations has stopped using the name, including the Kansas City Star, Slate.com, and Peter King's TheMMQB.com.
DC United
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
From PFT

Getty Images
The Washington Redskins aren't ready to stop using their name, but a major newspaper in another city is.

Per multiple industry sources, the San Francisco Chronicle has decided to no longer print the term "Redskins."

No announcement has been made, and it's not known whether an announcement is coming. It's possible, we're told, that the change will be explained in a column.

Regardless, the decision was communicated internally on Friday, October 25. The 49ers play at Washington on Monday, November 25.

On Wednesday, representatives from the Oneida Indian Nation will meet with NFL executives regarding the opposition to the team's name. Team owner Daniel Snyder reportedly told Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday that Snyder has no plans to change the name.

Other media organizations has stopped using the name, including the Kansas City Star, Slate.com, and Peter King's TheMMQB.com.

Theyre such heroes.
Washington Fire Water Guzzlers

If a alien dropped down on Earth right now and it had blue skin, would we not describe it by having blue skin?!
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
snyder met with Goodell yesterday. told him he aint changing it lol
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
What I don't get is all of these outlets have had this opporunity for decades to care about this and done nothing. It's not like this is some fresh crop of enlightened sports writers. The Cleveland Indians logo to me is more offensive, it would be like having a Sambo on your hat, no one is saying jack about that. Both should be changed, but these media types are just aping each other to pump themselves up.
[ Edited by TX9R on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
The reason I'm not behind this is because most of the people b***hing are not Native American, and are only following social media trends. f**k Peter King and Bob Costas they are just looking for the next story. Guys like these are the reason journalism is dead. No one does real detective work anymore they just find the next big outrage and ride it.
Why not just go back to their original name?
Share 49ersWebzone