LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Alternative name for the Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Amir:
washington red skin potatoes.

This would be awesome. The old owner said it, and I really think Snyder would do it to. Theyd still be the Washington Redskins, but with the loophole of a potato logo on the helmet.

I think anyone whos offended by the name is being WAY oversensitive. Native Americans get SO many breaks because of their heritage. If you want to take advantage of reaping the benefits you never suffered for in the past, go ahead and shrug off a historic sports franchise who still has a politically incorrect name.

Nothing about their team does anything but honor Native Americans. Its meant out of respect, not racism. A supposed racist original owner wouldnt have named his team after something he hated. It makes no sense. If they had the Cleveland Indians logo combined with the name, I could see more of an outcry, but they dont.

People are WAY too darn sensitive today. Everyone gets their feelings hurt over everything. Especially all the non-Native Americans who feel the need to get outraged on their behalf.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
WASHINGTON

Aliens
Tax Collectors
Scrubs
Booty Busters
Crevices
Rip-Offs
Impersonators
Toe-Jams
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I'm not trying to be insensitive, and I'm normally one of the most thoughtful people in a room but I don't see how the term 'redskin' is a racial slur. When I hear it, I think of it as calling a white guy white... I mean should white people rally for almost being referred to as "white" 99% of the time and not something directly relating back to their roots? As a black man I take no offense to being called black, though my skin is brown and I would prefer to be called brown.

Redskin is a description used by white people to describe an Indian person. What if someone called you a blackface? That's different, right then being called black.

LOL. This entire argument is ridiculous... Redskin, Blueskin, Brownskin... Snyder will never change the name, unless the NFL immense pressure on him to do so.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
seriously doe, where is the outrage over the Indians logo/name? why only the skins?
washington foreskins
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Washington Generals
I'm not trying to be insensitive, and I'm normally one of the most thoughtful people in a room but I don't see how the term 'redskin' is a racial slur. When I hear it, I think of it as calling a white guy white... I mean should white people rally for almost being referred to as "white" 99% of the time and not something directly relating back to their roots? As a black man I take no offense to being called black, though my skin is brown and I would prefer to be called brown.

Great now "The Browns" is offensive too.

But seriously, consider if someone wanted to name a team "The Blacks" with a picture of a brother as the logo. and it was a white dude that owned the team.
[ Edited by swayze on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM ]
The Onion had a list of alternatives. The Late Term Abortions was my favorite.
The Washington Bunched Panties
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Washington Rednecks

• kray28
  • Veteran
Brian Kilmeade asks "Why now?"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/14/kilmeade-asks-native-americans-offended-by-redskins-why-now/
Originally posted by kray28:
Brian Kilmeade asks "Why now?"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/14/kilmeade-asks-native-americans-offended-by-redskins-why-now/

They have a point. Not to say I agree nor disagree but why now?!?!?!?!?

Washington Rainbow Warriors
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash98:
They have a point. Not to say I agree nor disagree but why now?!?!?!?!?

They've been protesting the name for years actually.
Fi
Originally posted by swayze:

Great now "The Browns" is offensive too.

But seriously, consider if someone wanted to name a team "The Blacks" with a picture of a brother as the logo. and it was a white dude that owned the team.

Finally white america has accepted us!!!
Share 49ersWebzone