LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

Jets willing to trade revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
There is no reason for saying NO to the best DB in the league. ACL injuries are not what they used to be...most players recover just fine from them, some even come back stronger.

I'd easily give the 32nd pick in the draft and considering how weak the draft class is this year - I'd give Alex Smith 32nd pick.

Let's remember - it is highly likely that cap will go up a lot in 2014 and with our revenues to hit sky-high at the new stadium, we can spend all of our cap. With Revis, we will not be one of the best defense, we will be the BEST defense and it won't be close.

Because the Jets want a 1st round pick....to me that pick is better spent on upgrading the defensive line, that IS the core of this team, the pass rush is what allows this defense to go. Giving up a 1st rounder is a tall price to pay for a cornerback coming off an ACL surgery, and if he happens to bounce on you in free agency, well, you've just given up a 1st round pick for a one-year rental, in effectively wasting that pick while teams have acquired players a few picks later that you could have used, that you'd have under contract for 3-4 years at a very low price.

Originally posted by Youngb:
Why not for a year or two if we can afford it? The cap is also going to skyrocket in 2 or 3 years I believe. By trading Alex, most of that cap space will open up, but I'd be afraid that we would lose Dashon.

It will be the 32nd pick of the draft...and in a draft where we have 14 picks. Our scouts have done an excellent job of finding gems in 2nd, 3rd and later rounds. We will have every chance to build our depth of the front 7.

Can we lose him in FA next year? Absolutely. But, easily worth the risk. He will make us favorites to win it all again next year.
There is no reason for saying NO to the best DB in the league. ACL injuries are not what they used to be...most players recover just fine from them, some even come back stronger.

I'd easily give the 32nd pick in the draft and considering how weak the draft class is this year - I'd give Alex Smith 32nd pick.

Let's remember - it is highly likely that cap will go up a lot in 2014 and with our revenues to hit sky-high at the new stadium, we can spend all of our cap. With Revis, we will not be one of the best defense, we will be the BEST defense and it won't be close.

Because the Jets want a 1st round pick....to me that pick is better spent on upgrading the defensive line, that IS the core of this team, the pass rush is what allows this defense to go. Giving up a 1st rounder is a tall price to pay for a cornerback coming off an ACL surgery, and if he happens to bounce on you in free agency, well, you've just given up a 1st round pick for a one-year rental, in effectively wasting that pick while teams have acquired players a few picks later that you could have used, that you'd have under contract for 3-4 years at a very low price.

Why not for a year or two if we can afford it? The cap is also going to skyrocket in 2 or 3 years I believe. By trading Alex, most of that cap space will open up, but I'd be afraid that we would lose Dashon.

It will be the 32nd pick of the draft...and in a draft where we have 14 picks. Our scouts have done an excellent job of finding gems in 2nd, 3rd and later rounds. We will have every chance to build our depth of the front 7.

Can we lose him in FA next year? Absolutely. But, easily worth the risk. He will make us favorites to win it all again next year.

We could be favorites to win anyway. I agree with those who would pass if the cost was a first round pick. There are several really good DL that should be there for the Niners at the end of the first that I would hate to pass on. If he was signed to a long term deal that would be a different story but just would never give up a first for a guy who could be a 1 yr rental.

As much as I'm all in for Revis, I'm a little hesitant about shipping out Alex Smith and a 1st...I'd rather not give up anything higher than a 3rd. We've got 14 picks, the Jets have more than just one hole (and after their salary cuts, I'm sure they'll have more) so might as well package three of those picks and send em over to them with Alex
Thing I found most interesting in the story was the Broncos being interested? After giving Manning the moon, with Bailey on the team, how on earth could they afford this? Looks like Elway is trying to mortgage the teams future for a few good stabs at a ring.

After that. We dont need Revis. The Jets are nuts asking for a 1 and a 2. As someone else mentioned, he is like Bob Sanders, he's a gamechanger, but how much does he play? Seems could could be a pain in the locker room as well, why not bring back TO in that case?
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Alex Smith for Revis

DO IT

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect trade
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

We could be favorites to win anyway. I agree with those who would pass if the cost was a first round pick. There are several really good DL that should be there for the Niners at the end of the first that I would hate to pass on. If he was signed to a long term deal that would be a different story but just would never give up a first for a guy who could be a 1 yr rental.

With the way Seattle has played us - we will be in fight to win the division next year and there is no question in my mind that Seattle will go out and try to improve their team in the FA.

This is a weak draft class...and picks are always hit or miss. We'd have a great chance to re-sign Revis going into a new stadium in 2014. I'll take that risk and if 9ers are truly interested - that'd mean that they too will take that risk.
Where in the world are we getting all the salary cap room for this?

Sign Dashon Goldson.
Sign Revis and his huge salary.
Sing entire draft class.
Other lower level FA's.

Tell me how we do that with our cap?
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
We have a lot of picks and little roster space for them. I'm definitely interested.

Good point maybe Alex and a couple of picks for him...Interesting.

With the way Seattle has played us - we will be in fight to win the division next year and there is no question in my mind that Seattle will go out and try to improve their team in the FA.

This is a weak draft class...and picks are always hit or miss. We'd have a great chance to re-sign Revis going into a new stadium in 2014. I'll take that risk and if 9ers are truly interested - that'd mean that they too will take that risk.

We shall see. Make it a 2nd , 4th, and Alex and I am all in.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GameOver:

As much as I'm all in for Revis, I'm a little hesitant about shipping out Alex Smith and a 1st...I'd rather not give up anything higher than a 3rd. We've got 14 picks, the Jets have more than just one hole (and after their salary cuts, I'm sure they'll have more) so might as well package three of those picks and send em over to them with Alex

Not sure if Jets will take couple of 3rd round picks. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I understand the concern, but with 13 picks left - we'd have a GREAT chance of hitting on some of them and filling our needs.

After what Julio Jones and Roddy White did to us in the first half of that Atlanta game, I'd LOVE to have Revis on the team.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
We shall see. Make it a 2nd , 4th, and Alex and I am all in.

I'd do that. We have couple of 3rd rounders, I'll give them our 3rd rounder instead of 4th to sweeten the deal.

We need to extend...
Goldson,
Cowboy if he is still playing at a high level and wants to continue playing after next season,
address the draft class and FA's
in 2014 we will have to extend a ton on FA's Crabtree Iupati, just to name two.
We also have to worry about getting Kaep locked up with a fair contract probably after next season. We have him under contract through the 2014 season, but he is working for peanuts and wont be cheap to extend.

Reavis is simply not worth the risk of possibly effecting what we have built for the long term. e need to continue taking care of our own products and continue to build through the draft.
Originally posted by GameOver:

Not sure if Jets will take couple of 3rd round picks. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I understand the concern, but with 13 picks left - we'd have a GREAT chance of hitting on some of them and filling our needs.

After what Julio Jones and Roddy White did to us in the first half of that Atlanta game, I'd LOVE to have Revis on the team.

That is the best WR combo in the league, and Ryan was deadly accurate in that game, Coverage as actually spectacular on alot of those plays he completed.. The pass rush was also non existant. I dont see even reavis making much of a differance in that first half of football.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Is he worth a trade? The dude could tun out to be a mere rental.

And you can't franchise him at the end of the season, so he's going to hit the open market and no you have to getting into a bidding war with other teams, certainly not ideal at all.

There's no way we trade for him Without negotiating a long-term contract first.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
That is the best WR combo in the league, and Ryan was deadly accurate in that game, Coverage as actually spectacular on alot of those plays he completed.. The pass rush was also non existant. I dont see even reavis making much of a differance in that first half of football.

Ryan (and Rodgers) were getting rid of the ball very quickly - before our pass rush could have a chance. It goes both ways.

Yes, and Atlanta will be in the playoffs over the next few years and it's likely we will run into them a few times. Revis can take the top WR out of the equation by himself and that makes it very easy to double the other guy.

It's not just Atlanta. GB has plethora of good WRs as well. These are the teams we will face in the playoffs and we could use a pure cover CB on the team. Revis can give the pass-rush more time to get to the QB.
Share 49ersWebzone