There are 246 users in the forums

Why does Ray lewis get a pass on being super religious but Tebow was a lightning rod

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by fip24:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WashSt9er:
Skin color

Bingo!

Black people are allowed to be super religious, as if its cultural. People are afraid to say anything. When white people do it, theres no politically correct barrier, and it becomes target practice.

If Tim Tebow was on his knees at the 50 shedding tears, hands and eyes up to the sky praising God for his career, hed be ripped apart.

Wow, you really think it's a racial thing? Seems more like a credibility thing to me....Tebow has done very little in the NFL to gain the crazy exposure/notoriety that he's gotten. Whereas Lewis, arguably the best MLB to ever play the game, is at the end of his very long Hall of Fame career. Regardless of skin color, most people will overlook a little weirdness after being great at your craft for so long.

Not so much a youngster who is famous mostly for being famous.

A credibility thing? Let's see..Ray participates in a murder, has 6 kids w/ 4 women but his faith is credible because he is good at tackling people? Tebow, who seems to spend most of his free time doing missionary type work, has no credibility because he isn't a starting caliber quarterback?????
Following that logic, we should not revere Mother Teresa, Ghandi or Martin Luter King Jr as people of faith because they were bad athletes.

No matter how big of an idiot Ray seems to be, the guy is very crafty. He was a villian after the murder incident. He aopted the religious thing and now he has corporate endorsements and is held as a hero.

You seem to have forgotten that media coverage and fan worship isn't based on logic. It's based on emotion, and emotionally, (most) people and (most) media outlets have forgiven Ray for his past transgressions because of his great play on the field. Stupid and illogical, yes...but true nonetheless because that's the society we live in.

On the other hand, Tebow has done little on the field (by comparison) in proportion to the fame he has, so instead of receiving praise for being a really good human being, his clean living and good works, he receives scorn and derision. In our success-driven society, winning covers a multitude of sins and creates a certain "credibility," regardless of the truth.

I wasn't commenting on how things should be (as you were, and you were correct), I was merely stating how things actually are since that was the question (why is Ray Lewis getting a pass and not Tebow).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
One killed a dude, confidently lost his suit, paid the families off, and perches in our face, the other is a jet

because hes a jet LMAO
One killed a dude, confidently lost his suit, paid the families off, and perches in our face, the other is a jet

False.
Ray Lewis has 6 kids, and a murder case on his record. He also just now decided to talk about his faith.

The other says he has a unused wiener yet posed with chicks wearing next to nothing. All while using this image to get drafted as a QB knowing good and well that he couldn't do the job on a consistent basis.

One is claiming perfection, the other redemption. One of these guys is a hype machine, the other is a hall of famer...
[ Edited by glorydayz on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]

This.
ray lewis is pissing me off. he needs to get over himself and stop acting like god is a huge football fan...im pretty sure god, if he even exist, is working his magic on more important things. i really want us to beat the ravens and get a close up on lewis
While I think his whole act is corny, the idea that he's being given a pass in the media because he is black is patently absurd and devoid of all logic.

If there's one thing that a black athlete/entertainer can count on, it's the media and public becoming firmly entrenched in their ass the MOMENT there is even a ounce of controversy surrounding their name.

Also, I find it funny how those calling him a murderer skip the part of the story where no one could produce any proof that he killed anyone, and that's why he was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge. At which point he was promptly sued by the victims families, who openly acknowledge that they still want MORE money from him (color me shocked).

Oh yea, and the part where multiple witnesses corroborated his story that he was involved in the fight but didn't stab anyone, but no need to get bogged down with pesky facts. I digress.

Speaking to Tebow, he gets criticized because as a player he sucks. Not because he's white. Were he actually any good, no one would care if he was super religious, an a*****e (see: Tom Brady), or anything else in between.

Moral of the story is, being really good at something (hell, anything) will spare you a lot criticism in life.

That's just the way it works.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Fear of being labeled as a racist! And a very good chance of losing a job. It's ok to say white man can't jump! White RBs are slow. But what would happen if a commentator was to say people cheer for him and want him to do well because they want to see a black QB succeed!FIRED!!!!!!!
Originally posted by titan:
Fear of being labeled as a racist! And a very good chance of losing a job. It's ok to say white man can't jump! White RBs are slow. But what would happen if a commentator was to say people cheer for him and want him to do well because they want to see a black QB succeed!FIRED!!!!!!!

LOL. Firstly, it was well-known that Limbaugh was a racist before he stepped into the commentator booth.

Let's not pretend like that was the first time he said something totally ignorant and racist. His views on race and black people in particular are well documented (Google it) so please, knock it off.

Two, I have never personally heard of a commentator remark upon white men being too slow or not athletic enough with their race being the reason why. Not calling you a liar but I have a very hard time believing that someone could get away with saying that on the air without being reprimanded.

Maybe you can back that claim up with some linkage?
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM ]
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by strickac:
Tebow is undercover gay and Ray kills people.

Sounds like an awesome buddy cop TV show

Originally posted by modninerfan:
cuz he's black

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

LOL. Firstly, it was well-known that Limbaugh was a racist before he stepped into the commentator booth.

Let's not pretend like that was the first time he said something totally ignorant and racist. His views on race and black people in particular are well documented (Google it) so please, knock it off.

Two, I have never personally heard of a commentator remark upon white men being too slow or not athletic enough with their race being the reason why. Not calling you a liar but I have a very hard time believing that someone could get away with saying that on the air without being reprimanded.

So are a lot of commentators on both side of the race. If you haven't heard comments about slow, white, unathletic I guess you don't watch NFL network or Stephen A Smith.
But if his claim that McNaab is average and is overrated, then they need to fire more commentators.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XGiTv_xRd5A
  • Paul
  • Veteran
"going over the top" is not possible when it comes to God... it's just people not being open to it part of the problem

I would bet my house that you haven't listened to him on his show for more than 10 minutes.
So are a lot of commentators on both side of the race. If you haven't heard comments about slow, white, unathletic I guess you don't watch NFL network or Stephen A Smith.
But if his claim that McNaab is average and is overrated, then they need to fire more commentators.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XGiTv_xRd5A

I watch ESPN all the time. As I said earlier, I'm not aware of anyone making disparaging remarks about white athletes on the basis of their race.

This is the part where instead of trying to explain around it, you provide some actual proof.
Share 49ersWebzone