LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Why hasn't the NFL ever invested in the Canadian Football League?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The NFL is into worldwide expansion, witness games played in London and Mexico in recent years. A pro league even surfaced in India in 2012. I'm sure they have their eyes on China. My inquiry is why the NFL never invested in the Canadian Football League, it's established, has a loyal fan base and has been around for years. Players like Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia had their starts in the CFL. Currently Cameron Wake has had a big impact with the Dolphins. And if researched you will find many more. Why not get into partnership with the CFL? It would take years to build a minor league for the NFL and would be a financial loss while it was being developed.
Because Canada sucks!
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Because Canada sucks!

Ever lived there? Clean air, open spaces, medical care for everyone. Yeah, I guess that sucks.
Pretty sure they did a few years back. Not sure if they still do.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Pretty sure they did a few years back. Not sure if they still do.

There was an agreement in 2006 but it has not been followed through because of broadcast concessions for Bills games. In the early 80's I believe they had a team in the US in Sacramento.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Ever lived there? Clean air, open spaces, medical care for everyone. Yeah, I guess that sucks.

Toronto/10.

And then you got these clowns.

"You Got Beef" bro?

They can have the Seahawks
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

What did Canada do to deserve that s**t?
The CFL is a very different game. 3 downs, much bigger field, tons of pre-snap movements, 12 players on each side, and a ton of passing. Also smaller things like a 3 min warning instead of 2, and the play clock is :25 instead of :40 so there are a lot more exciting finished than in the NFL (this weekend not counting!).
It is is also a much smaller pay scale where the top Elite guys might make $400K a year, and the average lineman has a regular job in the offseason to pay their mortgage.

It is a great sport to watch, extremely entertaining and we Canadians love it. It is nowhere near the stage of the NFL, but I don't think anyone cares. We get to pick our NFL team, invest our heart and soul in them the same way Americans do, and don't have to pay the taxes on the new stadiums!

The only markets that could really support an NFL team are Toronto, Vancouver, and maybe Montreal, but if the NFL came it would kill the CFL because the majority of the corporate sponsorship would move to the NFL. I think most Canadians are very happy to have their own team to cheer for in the CFL, and then an NFL team. Plus the CFL season starts in June, so it cuts down on the craving for NFL football.

For the guy who mentioned Sacramento, there was an attempt to have some American team I am gonna say in the late 90's. They had Shreveport, Vegas, Baltimore, Sacramento, and maybe one or two more. The only successful one was the Baltimore team who sold out every single game, were hugely popular, and won a grey cup. Then the Ravens moved to town and the CFL team went to Montreal. All the other American team were a disaster. Side note, in the first game in Vegas, they sang O CANADA, to the tune of OH CHRISTMAS TREE. Classic moment.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I'm from Toronto. I can tell you that outside of this city, Vancouver is the only city in Canada that really follows the NFL avidly. The other major cities such as Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal etc are pretty entrenched in their CFL fandom for the past 100 years....

I can't stand the Buffalo Bills, and seeing them play up here once a season in a stadium that is 15 years too old, for fans that would probably rather see a better team makes me sick. The fact they charge $100+ per ticket for garbage seating and no tailgating due to ridiculous municipal laws, makes the "Toronto Bills Experience" a total waste of everything....

I actually wouldn't mind a NEW team expanding up here. Just not the Bills..... Brand New

One thing I should add though is that Canada DOES have very talented football players and athletes in general.
I played varsity football with the Ivy League's all-time rusher Clifton Dawson..superb back coming out..
I was also Orlando Franklin's (Denver starting RT) high school football coach and OC/running back coach for Olympic sprinter Justyn Warner...great football players come out of Canada.
[ Edited by SaksV on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM ]

Because Canada sucks!

Because Canada sucks!

Freezing cold, nothing to do, and the free medical care causes ridiculously long wait times for everything.

Theres a reason we all live in the US. Not having free Healthcare isnt a problem for anyone whos willing to work hard.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Freezing cold, nothing to do, and the free medical care causes ridiculously long wait times for everything.

Theres a reason we all live in the US. Not having free Healthcare isnt a problem for anyone whos willing to work hard.

Ever live there?

Australia > Canada

/thread
canada has the best threesomes.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

EFF THAT!

You have noooo idea how annoying seahawks "fans" are in vancouver, apparently theyre considered our "local" team and it pisses me off so much.

They did just do a 500 million dollar renovation on our stadium here, retractable roof, second biggest suspended screen next to cowboys stadium etc...

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only 2 cities where it could POSSIBLY work is toronto or vancouver, more likely toronto as vancouver's population is way too small and you would be lucky if 30k people show up (50% of bc place's capacity) and thats a generous estimate as they would never allow tail gating here and its pouring rain 80% of the time anyway.. Why they spent so much money on a retractable roof in a city where it rains 9 months a year is beyond me. I personally think vancouver is over rated, some of the highest realestate costs in north america, ridiculous taxes, gas is most expensive in canada, no fun allowed (as mentioned tail gating would never be allowed) etc. sorry im kind of going of on a tangent but in conclusion, nfl will never fly up here.

CFL can be fun to watch as they air it out ALOT more due to the big field and 3 downs, games are good to go and get s**ttered with your buddies
But thats about it.
[ Edited by VancouverNiner on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone