LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Calvin breaks Jerry's yardage record...thoughts?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jerry said that he owns 40 NFL records and he didn't mind giving up one to Megatron. I agree with the announcers last night, that most of his yards were meaningless because the Lions suck so bad this year. Still, Megatron is a great player who has no one else on his team to take attention away from opposing defenses, just like Adrian Peterson. Have to give credit where credit is due.
i remember a few years ago when calvin put up 13 td's with orlovsky at qb for the 0-16 lions and i told a few people that he was the best wide receiver in the game... they all looked at me like i was insane
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Bound to happen, it is more of a passing league now than it was when Rice played. In Rice's prime 4,000 yard passers were rare, now they are common place. Also Detroit doesn't have much to go with Johnson, he is the offense. I am sure he would trade the record for a chance to be a Super Bowl contender.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Originally posted by jrg:

You're on the Lions and have to live in Detriot so yeah, the curse still applies.

But that was already the case before he was on the cover, so.. can't blame that on Madden..
A lot easier to do that in this era than it was when Jerry did it
I bet it gets broken in the next 5 years again, by AJ Green or by Megatron again

Jerry will still always be the GOAT
He has like 45 other records, I doubt he cares
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Dec 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
I'm not going to hate.He earned it and plays the game the right way.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog

Smart analysis of Megatron's 'garbage yards' RT: @billbarnwell: Today at @grantland33: http://es.pn/ROuFjh
congratulations.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Congrats! With that being said if we didn't run the football, throw to other receivers, or had a good team that won and actually didn't have to play catchup in the 4th Qtr, Jerry Rice would have way over 2500 yds.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
big difference is Rice did it on a winning team playing meaningful games, CJ did it playing on a crap team getting stats in garbage time against soft zone defenses.

Respect the accomplishment. But how in the hell does a 6'5" over 200 pound receiver run a route with nobody covering him ?

Calvin Johnson = LeBron James of WR's
Jerry Rice = Michael Jordan of WR's
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:

Calvin Johnson = LeBron James of WR's
Jerry Rice = Michael Jordan of WR's

Good analogy.
Originally posted by BobS:
Bound to happen, it is more of a passing league now than it was when Rice played. In Rice's prime 4,000 yard passers were rare, now they are common place. Also Detroit doesn't have much to go with Johnson, he is the offense. I am sure he would trade the record for a chance to be a Super Bowl contender.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
CJ should've acted like a boss and not given a f**k. Especially since they were without a doubt about to lose that game.
Share 49ersWebzone