There are 144 users in the forums

NFL considering expanding playoffs

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's good the way it is now. Leave it alone. The kickoffs too. Leave it alone. Everything this guy does is a disaster. Can't hit high, can't hit low, don't hit too hard in the middle, no more kickoffs, more teams in the playoffs that don't belong.

What's wrong with him?....

He doesn't want to get sued for lack of safety and still find new ways of making money
Originally posted by darkknight49:
It's good the way it is now. Leave it alone. The kickoffs too. Leave it alone. Everything this guy does is a disaster. Can't hit high, can't hit low, don't hit too hard in the middle, no more kickoffs, more teams in the playoffs that don't belong.

He doesn't want to get sued for lack of safety and still find new ways of making money

What he is doing is ruining football from the traditional sport it was. Sign a waiver to play. Players know this is dangerous. If you don't know 335 lb. guys slamming into eachother is dangerous I don't know what to tell you. They assume the risk of a dangerous game and are compensated much higher than average people are in life for their risks.
16 teams (50% of the league) is a terrible idea.

14 teams is more tolerable, though I still don't like it. But at least with 14 - 7 per conference - the #1 seed will still get a earned BYE week.

What he is doing is ruining football from the traditional sport it was. Sign a waiver to play. Players know this is dangerous. If you don't know 335 lb. guys slamming into eachother is dangerous I don't know what to tell you. They assume the risk of a dangerous game and are compensated much higher than average people are in life for their risks.

While I agree that goodell is doing too much, you have to assume that the game is going to evolve at some point. Look at the football they were playing 50 years ago. They were out there headslapping and closelining people. Don't you think people were outraged the game was being changed back then? Do you think they should still be able to headslap and closeline people?
Playoff format is almost perfect, right now. I agree the only things need changing is the 7-9 and 8-8 division winners. No winning record, no playoffs.

The thing they need to work on is eliminating the tie from pro-football. We only play 16 games, and we still have ties? They don't have ties is baseball for crying out loud, and they play 10x as many games.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Make it like the NBA playoffs, 1 vs. 8, 4. vs. 5, 3. vs. 6, 2. vs 7.

Then just like in the NBA the regular season means nothing because half of the league makes the playoffs... Horrible idea
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I hope the playoff format doesn't change

The only tweak I would consider would be division winners must have a winning record (9-7) in order to qualify for the playoffs. No more 7-9 or 8-8 division winners host playoff games while 10-6 or 11-5 teams in other divisions don't qualify for the playoffs.
I agree.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

While I agree that goodell is doing too much, you have to assume that the game is going to evolve at some point. Look at the football they were playing 50 years ago. They were out there headslapping and closelining people. Don't you think people were outraged the game was being changed back then? Do you think they should still be able to headslap and closeline people?
They stopped that in the late 70's, but it wasn't for player safety, it was to make it harder to play defense and get the scoring up. I think they need to use instant replay on personal foul penalties. It is BS when a defensive player gets called for every hit to the head when half the time it is caused by the ball carrier making a last second move the defender has no time to react to.
You know what I wanna see?

Old school football. Leather helmets. No teeth. Scars. Hockey on grass. UFC attitude with 22 of them on the field at the same time. I want it to b such that other countries take notice of our "game" and figure not to mess with America. I want mud, guts and glory.

That's what football was.
I guess it will come down to that it doesn't really matter what your won-loss record is. It could be some crap record like 8-8 and you'll get in?

Talk about ruining the integrity of the game!

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I guess it will come down to that it doesn't really matter what your won-loss record is. It could be some crap record like 8-8 and you'll get in?

Talk about ruining the integrity of the game!

7-9 made it in 2 years back...
I hope they leave it as is, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

Been off the grid for much of the day, but I absolutely, positively oppose watering down the playoffs. Foolish, foolish idea.

This. Expanding the playoffs is just as retarded as taking away Kickoffs. Why are the owners/Goodell trying to ruin this awesome sport?
[ Edited by KegBert on Dec 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Playoffs should just stay the same. Divisons need to be realigned though.

What should they be?

dallas & carolina should switch

indy & miami should switch

Dallas is further west than St. Louis................................................................................

dallas is further SOUTH than either st louis or carolina

and I never said dallas would go to the NFCW......

never said you did....... i was just saying.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

Been off the grid for much of the day, but I absolutely, positively oppose watering down the playoffs. Foolish, foolish idea.

This. Expanding the playoffs is just as retarded as taking away Kickoffs. Why are the owners/Goodell trying to ruin this awesome sport?

Personally, i think Goodell is just gonna go overboard until the NFLPA makes him stop.

that way the NFLPA has set the standard on what "safe" is.
Playoffs=elite teams. Given that the AFC will send some crappy teams to their PO-branch this year, I dont wanna experience what happen if they expand the POs.

Perhaps the NFL should start thinking about consolidation, i.e. no AFC/NFC separation, regarding qualification for the POs.
Share 49ersWebzone