LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

NFL eliminating kickoffs?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
First, what evidence is there that kickoffs are the problem? I can't remember when the last time I saw a concussion occur on a kick off. Is there any evidence, at all, whatsoever that kickoffs are the problem? Where is the evidence for that? I don't think there is any. None. Zero. Zilch. Getting rid of kickoffs will do ZERO to change how many concussions or injuries occur.

Where does that thought come from? What difference does it make if a safety hits a WR from a 20 yd open field sprint Vs. a kickoff collision? Players do not continue to accelerate the entire distance of covering a kick off. Once they reach top speed, thats it.......20 yds vs 30 yds vs. 50 yds doesn't matter. Its moronic to think that a kickoff is somehow more dangerous because of the distances involved. A Safety plays (generally) 10-12 yds off the LOS. The HB can be as deep as 5-8 yds behind the LOS with a distance between the two about 10-15yds on any given play. How is typical situation any different, better or worse then a kick off?

There is no logic in this.

And the NFL is run by a bunch of morons.
It seems like you have never seen a kick return contrary to a received pass and run after that. the returner is facing several guys, if not up to 21 AND there are many guys in a relatively small space, big chance to get in uncontrolled touch with another player.
Contrary to that, especially pass receivings happen way behind the LOS, i.e. let's say about 10 players won't be in your way, could be even more, if it's a downhill route. Usually you have one or two players in your face during such a play.
i'm convinced Goodell's plan is to completely over blow the emphasis on player safety until the players association get's PO'ed and they set the safety rules.

removing the responsibility of safety from the league.

watching around the league

they just said they are tossing around weight limits?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The kickoff is an unnecessary play....I actually thought the XFL's idea of letting them wrestle for the ball was better in comparison.

People need to be open to new ideas, and welcome changes that make sense when it comes to the health of the players.

The kickoff should be done away with on all levels of the game.
the big difference between punts and kickoffs from a safety perspective was the wedge and the wedge buster. (just my observation) and they've already made that a penalty.....
Originally posted by communist:
First, what evidence is there that kickoffs are the problem? I can't remember when the last time I saw a concussion occur on a kick off. Is there any evidence, at all, whatsoever that kickoffs are the problem? Where is the evidence for that? I don't think there is any. None. Zero. Zilch. Getting rid of kickoffs will do ZERO to change how many concussions or injuries occur.

Where does that thought come from? What difference does it make if a safety hits a WR from a 20 yd open field sprint Vs. a kickoff collision? Players do not continue to accelerate the entire distance of covering a kick off. Once they reach top speed, thats it.......20 yds vs 30 yds vs. 50 yds doesn't matter. Its moronic to think that a kickoff is somehow more dangerous because of the distances involved. A Safety plays (generally) 10-12 yds off the LOS. The HB can be as deep as 5-8 yds behind the LOS with a distance between the two about 10-15yds on any given play. How is typical situation any different, better or worse then a kick off?

It seems like you have never seen a kick return contrary to a received pass and run after that. the returner is facing several guys, if not up to 21 AND there are many guys in a relatively small space, big chance to get in uncontrolled touch with another player.
Contrary to that, especially pass receivings happen way behind the LOS, i.e. let's say about 10 players won't be in your way, could be even more, if it's a downhill route. Usually you have one or two players in your face during such a play.

Ok......so the theory is that there is a higher chance of unblocked players getting "free" hits on the ball carrier during a kickoff?

Your post doesn't make sense. What is "pass recievings?" Do you mean receptions? What is a "down hill route"? A vertical route?

I think my original challenge for evidence still stands. There is no evidence that concussions happen more on kick offs. In fact, there isn't any such thing as a "defenseless player" on a kickoff. The ball carrier receives the ball deep in his own territory knowing where all 11 of the other teams players are. It's not like a QB standing in the pocket with an exposed blindside or a receiver outstretched over the middle of the field with no clue that a safety is bearing down on him.

As I already stated, players do not continue to accelerate the entire length of the field. They are hitting their strides around, what 10-20 yds? My question was what difference does it make if a free hitter comes from 50 yds or 15 yds? The answer is NONE.

Concussions are just as likely to happen in the typical offense vs defense arrangements and formations then during STs, and that is the bottom line. It DOES NOT necessarily take that big of a hit to cause a concussion.

No one has offered an explaination of HOW removing KOs will decrease concussions, including the NFL.

Quit messing with the game!

Always invest in research and design of the best equipment. Keep rules i place that protect against unnecessary trauma and........

LET THEM PLAY
Kickoffs produce the highest percentage of injuries.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09/will-new-kickoff-rules-really-reduce.html?m=1
Originally posted by kingairta:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09/will-new-kickoff-rules-really-reduce.html?m=1

but even that article didn't say the severity of them.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

It doesn't have to. Those are reported injuries. That's all that matters.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

There will always be a play that produces the highest percentage of injuries....

Lol never thought I would see stubbed toe associated with paralysis..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Future headline.

NFL eliminating tackling.

i'm guessing a lot of these 4,000 pending lawsuits are special teams players that got cut for spraining their knee.............. even if minor, it's potentially career ending for players on the bubble.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM ]

So since when is concussions the only injury to worry about? Why the need for shoulder pads and all the others?

Quit arguing just to argue. Some one mocked the frequency of injuries on kick offs with out any proof to back it up and you'll take some heresay crap opinion over hard anecdotal evidence?

Face it concussions aren't the only career/ life threatining injuries. Its just the hot topic is all.
Originally posted by communist:

Ok......so the theory is that there is a higher chance of unblocked players getting "free" hits on the ball carrier during a kickoff?

Your post doesn't make sense. What is "pass recievings?" Do you mean receptions? What is a "down hill route"? A vertical route?

I think my original challenge for evidence still stands. There is no evidence that concussions happen more on kick offs. In fact, there isn't any such thing as a "defenseless player" on a kickoff. The ball carrier receives the ball deep in his own territory knowing where all 11 of the other teams players are. It's not like a QB standing in the pocket with an exposed blindside or a receiver outstretched over the middle of the field with no clue that a safety is bearing down on him.

As I already stated, players do not continue to accelerate the entire length of the field. They are hitting their strides around, what 10-20 yds? My question was what difference does it make if a free hitter comes from 50 yds or 15 yds? The answer is NONE.

Concussions are just as likely to happen in the typical offense vs defense arrangements and formations then during STs, and that is the bottom line. It DOES NOT necessarily take that big of a hit to cause a concussion.

No one has offered an explaination of HOW removing KOs will decrease concussions, including the NFL.

Quit messing with the game!

Always invest in research and design of the best equipment. Keep rules i place that protect against unnecessary trauma and........

LET THEM PLAY

LMAO. You openly admit to not ever seeing evidence on the facts, then instantly jump to the conclusion that that must not be any. Then declare yourself correct on all counts.
Share 49ersWebzone