There are 134 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
All of our key players are going to go through this, I hope our young talent shows they can shoulder the load forcing the vets to play at a high level just to maintain their spots....
Boone took a fair deal at that time to guaranteee he would get paid even if e ended up sucking or was injured.

Now that he realizes that he doesn't suck and didn't get injured he wants the niners to pay him more?

That isn't how business works boone, sorryzzz
Give him a slight bump and move him to RT. He is out of place at RG and still has done a good job at RG but he's suited to be a RT and slide A Davis inside to RG.
Not concerned... Like Iupati, he'll wait til FA and sign a lucrative deal elsewhere. We at least have him for 2 more years a modest rate. Plus with Kilgore, Martin, Looney, and Thomas, we'll have plenty of guys to take their roles... Just keep drafting lineman, Baalke!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Not concerned... Like Iupati, he'll wait til FA and sign a lucrative deal elsewhere. We at least have him for 2 more years a modest rate. Plus with Kilgore, Martin, Looney, and Thomas, we'll have plenty of guys to take their roles... Just keep drafting lineman, Baalke!

This. Baalke may have suspected that he'd have to replace two guards and not just one. With Martin, Looney, Thomas, Kilgore, the 49ers are certainly capable of filling two guard spots if needed.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
That's a solid point. Would the Niners pay Boone more than their perennial pro bowl left tackle?

Boone doesn't have much leverage here at all. He has "outperformed" his contract but with two years left on the current deal and guys like Marcus Martin, Daniel Kilgore and Brandon Thomas waiting around I don't see why the 49ers would offer Boone anything more than a slight bump in pay. It takes some major balls to demand a new contract when the franchise has guys like Aldon Smith Michael Crabtree, and Collin Kaepernick to re-sign.

I understand that Boone needs to think about himself but at the same time he needs to be realistic. The 49ers can not afford to offer him more than a marginal increase in pay. Sorry Boone, but you might have to actually live up to your end of the bargain on this one........

With the list of big name pending free agents, he should know he's not top priority at the moment so hopefully a marginal increase will satisfy for now.
Boone apparently changed agents since signing the extension 2 years ago.Per Barrows " Boone is represented by Jonathan Feinsod and Neil Schwartz. Several of their clients, from Darrelle Revis to Vincent Jackson to Roddy White, have held out for better contracts in recent years. Feinsod had no comment on a potential holdout by Boone when reached today." To me you can hold out of OTA's to prove a point but Niners have a mandatory minicamp coming up June 16-18. If he misses all three days of the minicamp he will get fined 60k. If that happens I see the holdout going into training camp. Its just a money play by his agents and I don't expect a significant raise if any at all is given.Timing is everything for holding out and imo this is bad timing for both Boone and the team. Wait a year, Iupati probably wont be back and then ask for your extension.
Would like to keep him because he can flex out to tackle when needed and Iupati cannot. Is this a problem the Niners need to address right now? Not really. The resigning of Kaep and Harbaugh to new contracts take precedence. I would keep him over Iupati because he could be signed to a good, but not great contract while Iupati will want top 5 money. Stuff happens and that's why you continue to fill the pipeline with younger, cheaper talent in the draft.
Nothing to see here IMO. He'll show up for mandatory practices and training camp. With Iupati likely gone next season, I think we'll re-do Boone's deal after we take care of Kap.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Give him a slight bump and move him to RT. He is out of place at RG and still has done a good job at RG but he's suited to be a RT and slide A Davis inside to RG.

They just reupped Davis and are paying him tackle money, why would the move him inside?

I'm not worried about this at all. We have plenty of young interior lineman and the new CBA pretty much forces players to show up for TC. I've said all offseason I expect a lot of dominos to fall b4 the season starts. Once Rogers contract comes off the books, we'll see more vets restructure like Bowman did, some pay cuts (Gabbert) and some cap space open up. The we'll see Kaeps extension, maybe Crabs and some 2nd tier guys like Boone & maybe Hunter, Culliver etc
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Boone took a fair deal at that time to guaranteee he would get paid even if e ended up sucking or was injured.

Now that he realizes that he doesn't suck and didn't get injured he wants the niners to pay him more?

That isn't how business works boone, sorryzzz

Seriously. We took him when nobody wanted him he should be grateful.

This is a business. He signed the contract.
Man dis dude was destined to be in Ohio St. highlight reels, and we pick him up off the scrap heap and give him a shot, and he spits in our face?? WTF!.. Dude gets his ass handed to him by every NFC West DT, and he feels elite?. Man, talk about a weird sense of entitlement. Truth be told, if Iupati and he were to switch scenarios, we would replace him with the guys drafted, on da bench, and we bought in. Der's a few big name guards on da street as well. He's either on the sauce again, or getting some bad advice!
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Man dis dude was destined to be in Ohio St. highlight reels, and we pick him up off the scrap heap and give him a shot, and he spits in our face?? WTF!.. Dude gets his ass handed to him by every NFC West DT, and he feels elite?. Man, talk about a weird sense of entitlement. Truth be told, if Iupati and he were to switch scenarios, we would replace him with the guys drafted, on da bench, and we bought in. Der's a few big name guards on da street as well. He's either on the sauce again, or getting some bad advice!

He's probably having more kids. Guys always ask for more money when they have more kids to feed so they don't have to sell 1 of his 6 vehicles.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM ]
He's a good player and I understand wanting more money, but come on...

the team, the team, the team, amiright?
Share 49ersWebzone