LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Honestly didn't read thread but Earl Thomas is pretty f**king good!
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I don't know if Goldson will get what he wants. There are a couple of good safeties in the draft (one with a familiar player genetics, McDonnald). There are also two FS that I believe are fairly good: Woodson and the guy from the Texans, who are also free agents.

To be honest, with the way the league is going, a Free Safety is a guy too slow to play corner but good enough to stay in coverage. In 3 and 4 receiver sets, which is what everyone is seeing due to the evolution of the TE, the safety is becoming less and less important to defensive success.

Just look at what happened to the Cover Two; it got destroyed last year in the Pac-12 and got Kiffen's dad run out of Los Angeles. Same thing is starting to happen in the NFL.

If Goldson gets $8M, he should take it and run because I don't think he will ever get a second chance at that kind of cash. At this stage of his career, this also could be his last real contract as his position is evolving yet again.
[ Edited by Geeked on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM ]
No I would double/triple move on his ass everydown & no doubt he gets burned
He has to be considered in the top 3.
Originally posted by allhype:
Eric Berry is the best followed by Bird from buffalo.
In Bleacher Report's list of top Safeties for 2012, Goldson is rated at number 10.

Sporting News had him ranked as the fourth best safety before the 2012 season. I'm sure they'd rank him lower now.

During last season, ESPN writers didn't even rate him in the top 17.

11 safeties in the league had more interceptions

7 safeties in the league had more passes defended

36 safeties in the league had more total tackles

So, the answer is no. He's not the best FS in the NFL. The numbers speak for themselves and I think that Baalke and Harbaugh know what they're doing.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
In Bleacher Report's list of top Safeties for 2012, Goldson is rated at number 10.

Sporting News had him ranked as the fourth best safety before the 2012 season. I'm sure they'd rank him lower now.

During last season, ESPN writers didn't even rate him in the top 17.

11 safeties in the league had more interceptions

7 safeties in the league had more passes defended

36 safeties in the league had more total tackles

So, the answer is no. He's not the best FS in the NFL. The numbers speak for themselves and I think that Baalke and Harbaugh know what they're doing.

I agree, Goldson is solid but far from spectacular...the All-Pro nod is still a head-scratcher, 1st team no less. I thought his play in 2012 dropped quite a bit from what he did in 2011, and not like he was awesome the years prior to that. Also doesn't help that he commits some stupid penalties at the worst times. It's just hard to believe that either through the draft, FA, or current roster that they can't find a player who can play the position just as well, if not better, and for a lot less than the $8M he wants...and I would bet that's close to the same thought process that HarBaalke have on the subject.
Yes.. did somebody really suggest George Wilson? That dude is garbage..he is only known because he's a nflpa rep
Ed Reed is. He still can ball.
I thought this thread died a long time ago...guess not. Anyway, it's the same answer. Goldson is a good FS...not the best, not really that close IMHO. Some analysts fall in love with his big hits...but he can really be a liability in pass coverage. The model I'd put out there for comparison is Ed Reed. Goldson is no Ed Reed. As we saw in the playoffs/SB, his coverage skills leave something to be desired. If they were better, then he might have an argument as one of the top FS. BTW, the S from the Texans is Glover Quin, a SS, not a FS. He might be able to play FS, but the Texans list him as a SS.

No way, if you put Goldson on another team I suspect he will be very mediocore.
No, but he might be the best Strong Safety in the NFL
He's solid but I'm questioning $8 mil. For that much I want a game changer.
In a word...YES! He is The first team All-Pro FS! Which means he is the best FS in the NFL. Period!
i think he is even if he didn't make all pro, we were 4th best passing defense, people just saying he sucks in coverage all of a sudden cause we played great teams in playoffs and superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone