LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Steve Spurrier thinks Alabama could compete in NFL right now

Shop 49ers game tickets
Steve Spurrier has coached in college and coached in the NFL, and he knows how much harder it is to win in the pros. And yet Spurrier thinks the No. 1 team in college football right now is good enough to compete in the NFL.

Spurrier said on the Dan Patrick Show that he believes this year's Alabama team is good enough that it could beat some of the weaker teams in the NFL.

"Alabama, gosh, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I've watched on Sundays," Spurrier said. "I think a lot of the oddsmakers out there, that usually know what's going on, I'd guess Alabama would be favored by a little bit."

If Spurrier wants to talk up Alabama, fine, but let's get real: The idea that Alabama could compete with any NFL team is ridiculous. Whoever you think is the worst team in the NFL — Chiefs, Jaguars, Panthers, whoever — would absolutely destroy Alabama. This year's Alabama team is loaded with talent, but "loaded with talent" in college football means the Crimson Tide have maybe 30 players who will be good enough to play in the NFL some day. Every NFL team has 53 players who are good enough to play in the NFL right now.

Spurrier of all people should know this. After all, he won a national championship at Florida with Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Danny Wuerffel running his offense. Then Spurrier tried to run the same offense with the same quarterback in the NFL with the Redskins. At the next level, Wuerffel was terrible, Spurrier's offense was terrible and the Redskins were terrible. There's an enormous gulf between college football and the NFL.

A game between an NFL team and a college team would be a game of men against boys. We can celebrate great college football teams for what they are, but pretending they'd have any chance of beating any NFL team is preposterous.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/steve-spurrier-alabama-could-compete-in-the-nfl/

lol this guy is a total idiot
Originally posted by spizzy:
Quote:
Steve Spurrier has coached in college and coached in the NFL, and he knows how much harder it is to win in the pros. And yet Spurrier thinks the No. 1 team in college football right now is good enough to compete in the NFL.

Spurrier said on the Dan Patrick Show that he believes this year's Alabama team is good enough that it could beat some of the weaker teams in the NFL.

"Alabama, gosh, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I've watched on Sundays," Spurrier said. "I think a lot of the oddsmakers out there, that usually know what's going on, I'd guess Alabama would be favored by a little bit."

If Spurrier wants to talk up Alabama, fine, but let's get real: The idea that Alabama could compete with any NFL team is ridiculous. Whoever you think is the worst team in the NFL — Chiefs, Jaguars, Panthers, whoever — would absolutely destroy Alabama. This year's Alabama team is loaded with talent, but "loaded with talent" in college football means the Crimson Tide have maybe 30 players who will be good enough to play in the NFL some day. Every NFL team has 53 players who are good enough to play in the NFL right now.

Spurrier of all people should know this. After all, he won a national championship at Florida with Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Danny Wuerffel running his offense. Then Spurrier tried to run the same offense with the same quarterback in the NFL with the Redskins. At the next level, Wuerffel was terrible, Spurrier's offense was terrible and the Redskins were terrible. There's an enormous gulf between college football and the NFL.

A game between an NFL team and a college team would be a game of men against boys. We can celebrate great college football teams for what they are, but pretending they'd have any chance of beating any NFL team is preposterous.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/steve-spurrier-alabama-could-compete-in-the-nfl/

lol this guy is a total idiot

the browns/raiders/jags would smoke them fools
Every analyst of former player who was on the radio today said it is impossible. O line and D line play would be too physical and they would kill Alabama or any college team. Vegas said the worst team in the NFL, the jags, would still be favored by 24.

I think he was being complementative of Alabama, not really meaning it.
Andrew Perloff ‏@andrewperloff This whole debate @dpshow and Spurrier started about how Alabama would fare against an NFL team isn't fair. 'Bama doesn't have a salary cap.
Put Alabama up against the Niners.
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
But Alabama up against the Niners.

Lol AJ McCaron against our defense.....slaughter
[ Edited by spizzy on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM ]
Talk about drinking kool-aid.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Gabbert would shred that defense
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
maybe against a Steve Spurrier coached NFL team.
These talks always crack me up. Even in 2005 when the 49ers were by far the worst team I've ever seen take the field in red and gold... they would slaughter that USC team everyone thought was incredible and would always say could beat us.

Rubberneck touched upon the most important fact: that the NFL O-Line and D-Line would absolutely destroy the college O/D-line.

The quarterback would only be able to do screens, short passes, quick outs. They wouldn't be able to run, have enough time to go deep. Also, the coverages would confuse the hell out of a college QB.

It would be murder.

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
maybe against a Steve Spurrier coached NFL team.

[ Edited by Godsleftsock on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Yep, every year it's the same arguement...the best college team could be the worst pro team in the NFL. The game will probably never happen, but it would be fun to watch just to put the cocky, arrogant college team in their place.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
These talks always crack me up. Even in 2005 when the 49ers were by far the worst team I've ever seen take the field in red and gold... they would slaughter that USC team everyone thought was incredible and would always say could beat us.

Rubberneck touched upon the most important fact: that the NFL O-Line and D-Line would absolutely destroy the college O/D-line.

The quarterback would only be able to do screens, short passes, quick outs. They wouldn't be able to run, have enough time to go deep. Also, the coverages would confuse the hell out of a college QB.

It would be murder.

The college probably wouldn't even be able to get off the line, they would get jammed and fall down lol
lol 21 year olds would get murdered in the trenches against real men.
Originally posted by schmons:
lol 21 year olds would get murdered in the trenches against real men.

This x100 million

3/4 of the Alabama team won't make the pro's and 1/2 of them will be busts or out of the league in 2-3 years.

Even the worst team in the NFL has a bunch of grown men who have honed their skills for a long time and on any given sunday can beet the best team in the league. Thats why it is as hard to go undefeated as it is to loss every game.
Share 49ersWebzone