There are 164 users in the forums

Scot McCloughan

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
McCloughan>Baalke.

We should give him a call and see if he wants to work with the Niners as a talent evaluator.

I'll take a buzzed McCloughan over a sober Baalke.

As much as I like McCloughan, John Lynch has done a decent job of it. I totally agree that - if for some reason - Cleveland lets Scott go, we should see if he can come to our team, specially with Martin interviewing outside and possibly will be lost to another team. I really am looking forward to this years cycle of free agency and draft because this year will really be an indicator of how good John Lynch *really* is.
I thought McCloughan started an independent talent evaluation, or scouting, agency. He would then offer his services to anyone that would hire him. Since the Browns hired him does that mean he would still accept other clients? Or, was it that nobody was interested in his service, so he took a consulting job for the Browns alone.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tommyncal:
I thought McCloughan started an independent talent evaluation, or scouting, agency. He would then offer his services to anyone that would hire him. Since the Browns hired him does that mean he would still accept other clients? Or, was it that nobody was interested in his service, so he took a consulting job for the Browns alone.

I'm sure the Browns have an exclusive partnership with Scot that doesn't allow him to advise to other football teams through the end of the draft. It'd be dumb not to do that.

I'm also sure he's had some success in getting some NFL folks to pay him for ad-hoc scouting services, but this 1 year consultancy with the Browns could help Scot in a couple of ways:

1. Get him another shot as GM for another franchise
2. Get him more business by showing a strong draft class and impact for the Browns.

With the Browns going 0-16 in 2017, Scot will get a fair amount of credit if they improve and no blame if they don't - so it's a no lose gig for him.

I really like the move by the Browns - you got Dorsey, Wolf, and a whole bunch of holdover scouts from the previous regime. Everyone is going to have a refreshed POV, and having an outsider like McCloughlan can help you get max ROI with a ton of draft picks.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by tommyncal:

I'm sure the Browns have an exclusive partnership with Scot that doesn't allow him to advise to other football teams through the end of the draft. It'd be dumb not to do that.

I'm also sure he's had some success in getting some NFL folks to pay him for ad-hoc scouting services, but this 1 year consultancy with the Browns could help Scot in a couple of ways:

1. Get him another shot as GM for another franchise
2. Get him more business by showing a strong draft class and impact for the Browns.

With the Browns going 0-16 in 2017, Scot will get a fair amount of credit if they improve and no blame if they don't - so it's a no lose gig for him.

I really like the move by the Browns - you got Dorsey, Wolf, and a whole bunch of holdover scouts from the previous regime. Everyone is going to have a refreshed POV, and having an outsider like McCloughlan can help you get max ROI with a ton of draft picks.

I agree that it was a good move by the Browns. I was just trying to get into the head of McCloughan and see what direction he wanted his agency to go. It seems a little like an ' online scouting report'. He would evaluate players, probably his favorite part of being a GM, and then sell his report to NFL teams. I assume some teams probably have subscriptions to various 'scouting' sites.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The real architect of our runs.

Mike Nolan.

When he was in charge of the draft, the 49ers got Frank Gore, Joe Staley and Vernon Davis.

When McCloughan was in charge the 49ers got Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Rachal.

He's in a perfect spot in Cleveland as the helper in what is shaping up to potentially be one of the best front offices in football.

True that. He's been around at time when good things happen. He did pretty good in wash as gm.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The real architect of our runs.

Mike Nolan.

When he was in charge of the draft, the 49ers got Frank Gore, Joe Staley and Vernon Davis.

When McCloughan was in charge the 49ers got Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Rachal.

He's in a perfect spot in Cleveland as the helper in what is shaping up to potentially be one of the best front offices in football.

He's a good talent evaluator when that's all he has to worry about. Cleveland is doing some very good things so far this off-season.
Get rid of worthless Hue and the Browns might have something going on
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by DickNasty:
In a side note.. he was on a talk show in sept (can't remember which one) he said BY FAR THE BEST QB IN THE COUNTRY IS Josh Allen. So, I'm thinking he'll go #1.

I recall him more recently saying his favorite is Mayfield

This. Every time I've heard him talk QB's he's been adamant Mayfield is the best in this class.
Gore, VD, Willis, Bow, Staley, and the list goes on. Scott was the MAN
Cleveland's draft will be very interesting to say the least.

I'm betting they take Barkley at #1 and wait and grab Mayfield.

Then again, I bet on Cooney to beat Holmes.

But he picked Nolan and Iron Mike
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
But he picked Nolan and Iron Mike

That was the Yorks. He had no say in the matter. And the 49ers absolutely killed it in the draft when Nolan was in charge. Dude should have gone into the personnel side. He always did like wearing suits anyways.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Good for him. He's young enough to still have a long career in scouting, whether independently or working in an NFL front office.
Share 49ersWebzone