LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

What does it take to win a superbowl?

Shop 49ers game tickets
So me and my friend (Who is a Raider fan) were having an argument about Alex Smith. He says Alex will hold us back because he is not an elite quarterback but I said that the way the niners play doesn't require him to have those amazing numbers in order to win big games. So zone I ask you, do you truly need an elite quarterback to win a superbowl?
Originally posted by gold49digger:
So me and my friend (Who is a Raider fan) were having an argument about Alex Smith. He says Alex will hold us back because he is not an elite quarterback but I said that the way the niners play doesn't require him to have those amazing numbers in order to win big games. So zone I ask you, do you truly need an elite quarterback to win a superbowl?

nope. When you have a top-notch defense and STs, you just need a good and smart QB to play within the system. Alex is plenty good enough to bring success to SF for years. Your friend is.. not so bright.

lol. tell him the Raiders won three superbowls without an elite QB.
You have to lose to the Chargers and Dolphins in consecutive weeks.
Raider fans don't need to be talking about what it takes to win a superbowl after getting their s**t pushed in by the Dolphins
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

haha crap i shouldve said that. he also mentioned that he thought stabler was a better qb then montana

haha crap i shouldve said that. he also mentioned that he thought stabler was a better qb then montana

typical. i bet he thinks Belitnikoff is better than Rice too.

just like most raider fans he does. he claims all niner fans are bandwagoners

just like most raider fans he does. he claims all niner fans are bandwagoners

yeah well.... most niner fans feel raider fans talk out of their butt.

....my bad.... most football fans.

i'll take bandwagon (quality play) over attracting fans with cool colors and interesting logo.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
You have to score more points than the other team.

Lots of different models. Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw during the first pair of Steelers Superbowls, Phil Sims, Troy Aikman, and Trent Dilfer among others didn't put up huge passing numbers compared to their contemporaries. There are many ways to win championships and we are certainly on our way to number 6.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Beating whoever is in the NFC Championship game and then winning the Superbowl
Health
Talent
Coaching
Luck

Also, IIRC Bill Walsh said you pretty much also need 3 Hall of Famers (playing in their prime) leading your franchise to really have the upper hand, come Championship time.

I believe him.
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM ]
PS- IMO, the 9ers, now, exemplify Walsh's sentiment.
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM ]
My friend who is also a Raider fan once claimed that Art Shell played RB. That said, Trent Dilfer was a Superbowl winning QB.
Share 49ersWebzone