There are 238 users in the forums

Any Ref News

Shop 49ers game tickets
Heard on the radio that the normal refs are trying to get a bump in pay to around $180,000 with the full benefits they already have......all of this for a part time job.
Originally posted by Chief:
This is pathetic, pay the f**king real refs!

This is ruining just about every game I've seen.

it's f**king stupid. Goodell is way worse than the previous commish.....
Originally posted by jreff22:
Heard on the radio that the normal refs are trying to get a bump in pay to around $180,000 with the full benefits they already have......all of this for a part time job.

Not really. Think of it this way, It's 4 months long just for the regular season, and than you have to include the playoffs, and preseason games, and practices. All that travel kind of makes it hard to work another job, it has to be very flexible and your family has to understanding too. Considering you work monday, sunday, thursday, Seems increase in pay is right, so they can quit the other job, and spend time with the familes.. NFL referees currently earn between $42,295 and $120,998 per season. Major League baseball umpires earn anywhere from $100,000 to $280,000 per season, plus they get a generous expense account. NHL officials make even more -- from $115,000 to $220,000 per season, based on experience. 180,000 isn't such a big deal for the most popular sport in america, that makes billions of dollars, and the Ref's can be fired without a reason by the nfl also!!!!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran

Sounds fair to me, pay them.
Goodell is being a douche here, pay the refs. these replacements are a joke
Did you guys hear about this dips**t scab ref that told McCoy that he needed him to do good for his fantasy team during warmups?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Did you guys hear about this dips**t scab ref that told McCoy that he needed him to do good for his fantasy team during warmups?

haha, the real refs have the leverage IMO.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Not really. Think of it this way, It's 4 months long just for the regular season, and than you have to include the playoffs, and preseason games, and practices. All that travel kind of makes it hard to work another job, it has to be very flexible and your family has to understanding too. Considering you work monday, sunday, thursday, Seems increase in pay is right, so they can quit the other job, and spend time with the familes.. NFL referees currently earn between $42,295 and $120,998 per season. Major League baseball umpires earn anywhere from $100,000 to $280,000 per season, plus they get a generous expense account. NHL officials make even more -- from $115,000 to $220,000 per season, based on experience. 180,000 isn't such a big deal for the most popular sport in america, that makes billions of dollars, and the Ref's can be fired without a reason by the nfl also!!!!

They work at most 4 hours a week over 16 weeks guaranteed. Some may get postseason work....some may not. The "scab" refs work the practices not the normal ones. This is a part time job, they hold other jobs. This is not about being able to quit their main job...the new NFL media deals means the $$$ went up and players got more...now the refs are look for their piece of the pie.

Pension: NFL refs enjoy princely benefits for working just 16 game days a year. The league owners want to roll this back, shifting the current guaranteed pension plan to the same market-vulnerable 401(k) contributions that most employees have. The refs are screaming this would reduce the owners' funding obligation by 60 percent. Well, yeah. On the other side of the argument is Andrew Brandt, a former NFL general manager and now analyst for ESPN, who questions "why anyone working a once-a-week job for less than half the year gets a pension at all."

According to various analysts the average official already makes $149,000, and the league claims to be offering pay increases of 5 to 11 percent. Now, that's for moonlighting. Ninety percent of NFL officials have other full-time jobs. Let's take an example. Say, Scott Green. He is a veteran official who started in 1991 and is regarded as a top back judge. He has appeared in three Super Bowls, also has been involved in some extremely poor and controversial calls. Want to know his real job? He has his own Washington D.C. lobbying firm.

Know what he lobbies for? Safety issues.

The refs need to give in. Take your grandfathered pension, a moderate pay raise, and accept the sensible changes in operations the league wants to make.

The issue here is not whether the use of grossly under-qualified substitute officials makes the game slow, or unsightly, which it does, or whether there have been any competitive miscarriages, which there have.
Firstly, I think the NFL should just get this sorted out and get the Refs back out there. The scabs have been turrible.

Secondly, I think the Refs need to get younger. Seriously WTF are 60yr old dudes doing officiating these games. I think it's fair to say at such an age you are no longer at your peak fitness or awareness which leads to some terrible officiating. If that means they set up an academy to push younger refs through that's what needs to happen.

Also, if they want the fat paycheck then they need to be held responsible. Make s**tty calls, expect not to be working.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Firstly, I think the NFL should just get this sorted out and get the Refs back out there. The scabs have been turrible.

Secondly, I think the Refs need to get younger. Seriously WTF are 60yr old dudes doing officiating these games. I think it's fair to say at such an age you are no longer at your peak fitness or awareness which leads to some terrible officiating. If that means they set up an academy to push younger refs through that's what needs to happen.

Also, if they want the fat paycheck then they need to be held responsible. Make s**tty calls, expect not to be working.

that was one of the things the NFL wanted.....refs not in shape during mid to late season has apparently been an ongoing issue

Originally posted by Chief:

Sounds fair to me, pay them.

Yeah we can't look at their pay relative to their hours. They get paid for a particular skill and they are not replaceable. And this skill earns the owners, player, tv networks and the league millions upon millions of dollars. They are out there taking the heat and they clearly have better control of 22 angry, nasty blood thirsty guys then the assclows in zebra suites we have today. They also have clear knowledge of the hundreds and hundreds of ridiculous rules the NFL has.

Let me put it this way. Garrett Celek will make 392,000.00 for practicing, as he will rarely see the field. Thats how deep the NFL pockets are and refs want a little bit more of it.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
They should just work out a contract with incentives like they do with players.

Put in time studying new rules in the offseason? $20,000

Stay in good shape? $30,000

Don't f**k up any games? $100,000

Think we'd see any quality increase?

thats horrible...
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:

thats horrible...

McCoy was on a radio show (according to an article I read on ESPN.com) when he said it, but they weren't sure if he was joking or not.

I haven't heard about any clarification.
http://teamcoco.com/video/new-nfl-referees-are-really-terrible

Share 49ersWebzone