LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. says Russell Wilson better than our boy Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
To be fair, he did play well against KC's #1s when he started the preseason game against them.

I think his scrambling v. vanilla defense distorted that performance. It was a nice showing but didn't reach tolzien deity levels
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
To be fair, he did play well against KC's #1s when he started the preseason game against them.

I think his scrambling v. vanilla defense distorted that performance. It was a nice showing but didn't reach tolzien deity levels

I agree, that was not KCs best effort. And honestly, KC got lucky they didn't lose Berry again with another knee injury. That block by Washington was brutal.

Link
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
I was kind of shocked to read this from him because I always thought he is usually pretty good in his assessments.

He also picked the Seachickens to win the division (which seems to be the popular thing these days)

For the record I think Alex is a better player than Russell Flutie.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/72876/scouts-take-qb-puts-seahawks-on-top

I very much believe Russell Wilson will have the best year of any quarterback in the division," Williamson said. "Sam Bradford has a chance to be a very good one, but he looks terrible and his supporting cast is a mess. Arizona is a mess. I'm not a huge Smith believer." In Wilson, Williamson see the potential for Cam Newton-type production. He thought Wilson, a third-round choice, should have gone a round earlier. "One thing about him, his college history shows he doesn't turn the ball over," Williamson said. "He'll do more at this level, but he is not going to hurt the team the way rookie quarterbacks usually do. He's very smart, really knows where to go with the ball." Williamson said he didn't necessarily "trust" Smith. This seemed curious to me. Smith tossed only five picks all last season. He was about as trustworthy as a quarterback could be. And when the game was on the line against New Orleans in the playoffs, Smith made the plays to win the game. He'll presumably grow within the 49ers' offensive system now that he's had time to get more comfortable with it.

Anybody who believes this is far from a scout, and also really just doesn't know the NFL. Name the quarterbacks who start as rookies and emerge unscathed with fantastic seasons. They're very few and far between. Russell Wilson is no Dan Marino. This is a joke.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
way to go out on a limb there. who ISN'T better than AS?

Oh boy. We're still dealing with this s**t?
Matt Williamson has been to the wars
He rubs shoulders with the biggest and brightest
He stands on mountains, soars the sky and blazes a trail of magnificence
Among the mightiest he must be acknowledged to stand
His prescience knows no boundary
His gravitas is such that no gravity may contain it
He sees into your mind and mine and reads them like the god that he is
Et cetera,
"I'd rank San Francisco first and Seattle second in defense across the NFL, so the difference is not massive."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA this guy is CLEARLY a Seahawk fan! They have the second best defense in the NFL and the difference is not massive?!
I was kind of shocked to read this from him because I always thought he is usually pretty good in his assessments.

He also picked the Seachickens to win the division (which seems to be the popular thing these days)

For the record I think Alex is a better player than Russell Flutie.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/72876/scouts-take-qb-puts-seahawks-on-top

I very much believe Russell Wilson will have the best year of any quarterback in the division," Williamson said. "Sam Bradford has a chance to be a very good one, but he looks terrible and his supporting cast is a mess. Arizona is a mess. I'm not a huge Smith believer." In Wilson, Williamson see the potential for Cam Newton-type production. He thought Wilson, a third-round choice, should have gone a round earlier. "One thing about him, his college history shows he doesn't turn the ball over," Williamson said. "He'll do more at this level, but he is not going to hurt the team the way rookie quarterbacks usually do. He's very smart, really knows where to go with the ball." Williamson said he didn't necessarily "trust" Smith. This seemed curious to me. Smith tossed only five picks all last season. He was about as trustworthy as a quarterback could be. And when the game was on the line against New Orleans in the playoffs, Smith made the plays to win the game. He'll presumably grow within the 49ers' offensive system now that he's had time to get more comfortable with it.

Originally posted by davide49:
Anybody who believes this is far from a scout, and also really just doesn't know the NFL. Name the quarterbacks who start as rookies and emerge unscathed with fantastic seasons. They're very few and far between. Russell Wilson is no Dan Marino. This is a joke.

Agreed and this gushing really makes him sound like a Seattle homer.

If Wilson is as good as Williamson says he is than there is no way him being short would've stopped so many teams from drafting him. He would've went no later than the 2nd round and heck even Seattle passed on him twice before drafting him.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I believe it dont surpirse me SAD but it dont surprise me one bit........some guys where born to be franchise QB's while other hang from a thread through their career getting chance after chance after chance to become WHAT? A average QB

I agree with you
I am sick of all this talk about the team being vanilla. When the f**k are they going to be chocolate already? Or strawberry?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Read that LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger has been looking sharp in camp. He's gotta be better than Alex Smiff. Gonna make a new thread right here and now on it.

No need to ba a dick if you don't wonna read my thread then just ignore it. You always trying to pick fights on here.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'm telling you, the SeaCocks are the trendy pick this year (skip bayless, williamson, rosenthal, etc.)

We were the trendy pick from 2007-2010 and how did that work for us?

Yah everybody likes to pick the darkhorse, this is good for JH's motivational material.

Yeah if you pick the niners and you end up being right, people will say, "duh."

If you pick the seahawks and end up being right, people will think you are a genius.
You gotta give Alex some credit he did win a playoff game, you cant just say some 5"10 rookie who had a good preseason is gonna have a better season.

Where is susweel and who is this impostor
We might as well hand Seattle the division now. Matt Williamson has spoken.
Read that LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger has been looking sharp in camp. He's gotta be better than Alex Smiff. Gonna make a new thread right here and now on it.

No need to ba a dick if you don't wonna read my thread then just ignore it. You always trying to pick fights on here.

haha. He likes to hate on people's threads, yet started three of them on "dropped passes."

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

haha. He likes to hate on people's threads, yet started three of them on "dropped passes."

Share 49ersWebzone