LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Ref lockout may last into season

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sure hope if they do have the replacement refs, it doesn't cost us in any way come week 1.
Seriously, the NFL officiating crews have been bad for a lot of years. Publically, the NFL has defended them, but obviously they see problems that are not just associated with pay and they are trying to address this. We b***h about them all year, say they should be full time employees, miss calls, etc. etc. etc. Now that the NFL is addressing the obvious issues, we are gonna b***h about replacements?

I watch tons of college games all year and for the most part, I think the refs in college are just as good if not better than a majority of the NFL refs and they can probably be much better if they devote their full time work to officiating. Most of the referees in the NFL are good, but many members of their crews are horrible...old, out of shape, and basically mailing it in. I have no problem with replacement college refs taking over.
Originally posted by dcsham:
Seriously, the NFL officiating crews have been bad for a lot of years. Publically, the NFL has defended them, but obviously they see problems that are not just associated with pay and they are trying to address this. We b***h about them all year, say they should be full time employees, miss calls, etc. etc. etc. Now that the NFL is addressing the obvious issues, we are gonna b***h about replacements?

I watch tons of college games all year and for the most part, I think the refs in college are just as good if not better than a majority of the NFL refs and they can probably be much better if they devote their full time work to officiating. Most of the referees in the NFL are good, but many members of their crews are horrible...old, out of shape, and basically mailing it in. I have no problem with replacement college refs taking over.
these refs dont ref for college football at least not division 1

most of them are refs from HS and fivision 3 football

some came from the Lingerie league
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by dcsham:

these refs dont ref for college football at least not division 1

most of them are refs from HS and fivision 3 football

some came from the Lingerie league

Yup. College refs have secure jobs and don't want these s**tty temp positions. Plus, they'd be scabs. lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
The refs have sucked ass the last few years anyways. Not a single f**k will be given. The less we see of Ed Hochuli and mike Carey the better.

While most feel this way, the truth is that the officiating has actually gotten better over the last ten years.

The only difference is that there are now about 5+ extra cameras at each game showing us, the viewer more angles and giving us more to b!tch about. Even with the standard field view we may see a holding call missed, but the fact is that they get the majority of the calls right which is amazing.

Pay The Refs! they deserve it, especially with the idiot fans that don't have a clue how hard their jobs are...
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
This is just stupid by the NFL

The difference between the sides is rooted in economics but includes two notable hangups:

1) The NFL would like game officials to become full-time league employees. Officials have traditionally been part-time employees, with 90 percent of the group working other jobs unrelated to football. Referees are unwilling to give up that income.

2) The NFL wants to add three additional officiating crews. The goal would be to give officials added rest and the league more options. The locked-out officials oppose increasing their roster.

NFL season is 5 months long, and they dont want these guys to have other jobs?

Why does the NFL have to make things complicated? Everything has always been fine. Seems like the refs just want it how its been and the NFL is trying to kinda screw them
[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
pay the fkn refs so they don't have to make money on the side by calling non fumbles in NFC championship games!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
refs act'n like a bunch of lil hoes.

The NFL wants to add 3 more officiating crews, the existing officials don't want that because it'll mean the NFL can "bench" certain crews if they have bad games.
  • Timma
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
pay the fkn refs so they don't have to make money on the side by calling non fumbles in NFC championship games!

Originally posted by Timma:

Still better than Ed Hochuli
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Timma:

Lol people on here defending the refs when all most everyone does is b***h at them the whole year. It ain't rocket science...Mike Golic (who played himself and has a family that played just a tiny little bit) says that the current group of officials that the NFL is using in preseason games will be just fine once they get a few games under their belt and work together as a group.

Get rid of all of them if they don't want to work for the league full time...and then watch how many of them come crawling back begging for their jobs.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
refs act'n like a bunch of lil hoes.

The NFL wants to add 3 more officiating crews, the existing officials don't want that because it'll mean the NFL can "bench" certain crews if they have bad games.

Exactly.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
While most feel this way, the truth is that the officiating has actually gotten better over the last ten years.

The only difference is that there are now about 5+ extra cameras at each game showing us, the viewer more angles and giving us more to b!tch about. Even with the standard field view we may see a holding call missed, but the fact is that they get the majority of the calls right which is amazing.

Pay The Refs! they deserve it, especially with the idiot fans that don't have a clue how hard their jobs are...

Do you have any stats to back this up, or did you just pull this statement out of your anus?

Explain how hard their jobs are...they do it for five months out of the year then walk away to whatever other job they have. I guess nobody but the current group is qualified.
Share 49ersWebzone