LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

NFL best CB tandems

Shop 49ers game tickets
according to adam chaplan
http://sulia.com/channel/football/f/5e4be133-85a5-43f9-95da-83c79700fa8f/?source=twitter#

i generally agreed with his list

1) Darrelle Revis/Antonio Cromartie-Jets
2) Nnamdi Asomugha/Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-Eagles
3) Brandon Browner/Richard Sherman-Seahawks
4) Brent Grimes/Dunta Robinson-Falcons
5) Lardarius Webb and Jimmy Smith/Cary Williams-Ravens
6) Charles Woodson/Tramon Williams-Packers
7) Champ Bailey/Tracy Porter-Broncos
8) Jonathan Joseph/Kareem Jackson-Texans
9) Carlos Rogers/Tarell Brown-49ers
10) Brandon Carr/Morris Claiborne-Cowboys
11) Vontae Davis and Sean Smith-Dolphins
12) Charles Tillman/Tim Jennings-Bears
13) Aqib Talib/Eric Wright-Buccaneers
14) Cortland Finnegan/Janoris Jenkins-Rams
15) Brandon Flowers/Stanford Routt-Chiefs
16) Sheldon Brown/Joe Haden-Browns
17) Terrence McGee/Stephon Gilmore-Bills
18) Corey Webster/Prince Amukamara-Giants
19) Chris Gamble/Captain Munnerlyn-Panthers
20) Jabari Greer/Patrick Robinson-Saints
21) DeAngelo Hall/Josh Wilson-Redskins
22) Ike Taylor/Keenan Lewis-Steelers
23) Chris Houston and Bill Bentley/Jacob Lacey/Alphonso Smith-Lions
24) Alterraun Verner/Jason McCourty-Titans
25) Nate Clements/Leon Hall-Bengals
26) Antoine Winfield/Chris Cook-Vikings
27) Antoine Cason/Quentin Jammer-Chargers
28) Devin McCourty/Kyle Arrington-Patriots
29) Rashean Mathis/Derek Cox-Jaguars
30) Patrick Peterson and William Gay/Greg Toler/A.J. Jefferson-Cardinals
31) Ronald Bartell/Shawntae Spencer-Raiders
32) Jerraud Powers/Justin King-Colts
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM ]
I don't know about tandems. From that list, one guy is good, the other is generally "meh." The exception to this is the Seahawks.
lol the colts

Dont understand #2. Cromartie hasnt been even above average since what? The Cards Super Bowl year?

#6 is dumb, as Woodson is no longer a CB.

I'd place Sheldon Brown/Joe Haden behind only the Jets and Ravens. Sheldon Brown is not great, but hes more than average and most of the other tandems listed above them are one sided as well, and seeing as how Haden is arguable the #2 cover CB now, I'd say #3 is good for them

Let me try a quick top 10:
#1 I'd pick the Ravens over the Jets for #1. Revis is better than both, but Cromartie doesnt really pull his weight. Webb is probably my #3 cover CB and Jimmy Smith is a very good number 2 who will only get better with experience.
#2 Jets: Id probably pick the Darrell Revis and Mike Rumph #2. Revis is that good.
#3 Browns, as I said above. In addition to being a shutdown CB, Haden is also arguable the first or second best tackling CB. Though Sheldon Brown is expected to face competition from Dmitri Patterson and Buster Skrine. Skrine showed a lot as a rookie, and Patterson is one of those life long nickel guys who is really underrated. That's impressive depth for a top 5 pass D in 2011.
#4 Broncos: Bailey is old, but he still is a really good cover man. And Ive always been a fan of Tracy Porter, he's a really good #2 option.
#5 Falcons: Grimes is a really good CB. Robinson is not. But Robinson is moving to the slot, and Asante Samuel should be a passable #2 option.
#6 49ers: Probably dont have to explain this one. To me, Rogers didnt come out of nowhere in 2011, he was always a very good CB in Washington, he was just hampered by awful teams and bad coaching. I mean he was benched for DEANGELO HALL. Need I say more?
#7 Giants: Lotta help from the pass rush but Corey Webster is a very good CB. With a healthy Thomas, they're higher, but Prince is a mystery at this point.
#8 Vikings: Chris Cook is supremely underrated. If he stays healthy, hes a top 10 CB maybe top 5. Check out PFF's numbers on Minny's pass D against #1 WRs with him and without him. It's drastic. And Winfield is one of those guys who's lost a step with age but the Cover2 doesnt expose him as much, like a Ronde Barber, and he's the best tackling CB in the league.
#9 Seahawks: Im skeptical that they will be as good as last year, but Carrol's really onto something with his off the scrapheap secondary.
#10 Bears: It's not sexy playing CB in a cover 2, but those two guys are good at it.

Honorable mentions to the Cowboys and Bills. The potential looks good but Im not ranking guys who havent played a down.
[ Edited by belabartok on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM ]
Seahawks are making a nice defense up there right now. Reminds me of us 2 or 3 years ago... except we had good LBs and they don't whereas we had crap CBs and they have good ones.
lol The Packers gave up the most passing yards of any team last season, and I believe was one of of the worst all time.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM ]
With rules changes over the past years the position has taken a hit. You can't touch anyone 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, a Ronnie Lott type hit over the middle could mean the NFL will put a lien on your bank account and so on. These guys are playing with one hand tied behind their backs. Give them a break.
Brown and Rogers are better than Browner and Sherman
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
lol The Packers gave up the most passing yards of any team last season, and I believe was one of of the worst all time.

tramant williams had a shoulder injury last year

should be higher IMO... both very good corners.

Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

he also took to account for the future

i think talib will be banned from nfl soon he has way too much and serious of the field issues
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Brown and Rogers are better than Browner and Sherman

100% Rogers was arguably a top-3 CB last year, and Brown was right at his level in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. No chance we should be #9.
Rams Cortland Finnegan/Janoris Jenkins is gonna be pretty solid
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

Whaaaa? Wright is one of the worst corners in the league.
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Rams Cortland Finnegan/Janoris Jenkins is gonna be pretty solid

i was just about to type this. thats one PHYSICAL tandem. I think they'll give the cardinals recievers some interesting battles. I'd love to see Finnegan get his hands on Fitz!
Share 49ersWebzone