LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

NFL great Junior Seau dead?

Shop 49ers game tickets
On the same day the NFLPA is getting upset about the bounty suspensions - players purposely trying to injure players beyond the normal scope of the game - you have a future HOF player kill themselves and specifically not shoot himself in the head, probably because he wants his brain studied for scientific research.

Yeah, NFLPA has no case.
RIP Junior. Truly sad and a great loss to
RIP Junior
I got his rookie card meng.
This is tragic.

RIP Junior.
Originally posted by captveg:
On the same day the NFLPA is getting upset about the bounty suspensions - players purposely trying to injure players beyond the normal scope of the game - you have a future HOF player kill themselves and specifically not shoot himself in the head, probably because he wants his brain studied for scientific research.

Yeah, NFLPA has no case.

So what your saying is Roger Goodell did this

Yeah, NFLPA has no case.

this is a pretty strong argument, I don't see how anyone can successfully argue otherwise

Yeah, NFLPA has no case.

Disagree. The NFLPA is an advocate. They are tasked with advocating for players, not diving the untold truths of the gumdrop rainbow forest. They can, and will, advocate that the NFL has yet to produce any evidence to the NFLPA showing that the players suspended specifically encouraged injuring other players (possibly because their only evidence is the testimony of players who wish to remain anonymous). Anonymous testimony would be inadmissible in court (you have a constitutional right to confront your accuser, thank goodness). So, if this is dispute were in court, the NFL would have no evidence and the case would be thrown out (unless the NFL produced its witnesses). So, the NFLPA is doing its job on behalf of the players.

The NFLPA can then, on the other hand, argue that the players need more safe guards against concussion and further studies need to be performed.

In an adversarial highly codified system such as ours, you need advocates to protect your rights. And the NFLPA has a case to be made on each side.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
this is a pretty strong argument, I don't see how anyone can successfully argue otherwise

really? I can think many reasons why you can disagree. First, the NFLPA can argue that while a punishment is in order, the magnitude of the punishment does not have to be severe. That the punitative nature of the punishment is adequate even if you gave Vilma 8 games instead of the whole season. Robert does a pretty good job above further describing why you can argue otherwise.

On the other hand, if you were being sarcastic, then
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kevin Van Valkenburg ‏ @KVanValkenburg

Here is problem too: Explain any number the risks to NFL players, most simply don't care. When do YOU take it out of an individuals hands?

RIP, great player and always seemed like a good guy.
Terrible...I've seen first hand in my family what untreated anxiety that leads to clinical depression can do. That's why I couldn't believe some of the comments people made about Aubrey Huff.

Whether you are a fan or not, we have to remember that these people are human beings. This is extremely tragic.

was seau samoan or tongan?
Originally posted by Robert:

Yeah, NFLPA has no case.

Disagree. The NFLPA is an advocate. They are tasked with advocating for players, not diving the untold truths of the gumdrop rainbow forest. They can, and will, advocate that the NFL has yet to produce any evidence to the NFLPA showing that the players suspended specifically encouraged injuring other players (possibly because their only evidence is the testimony of players who wish to remain anonymous). Anonymous testimony would be inadmissible in court (you have a constitutional right to confront your accuser, thank goodness). So, if this is dispute were in court, the NFL would have no evidence and the case would be thrown out (unless the NFL produced its witnesses). So, the NFLPA is doing its job on behalf of the players.

The NFLPA can then, on the other hand, argue that the players need more safe guards against concussion and further studies need to be performed.

In an adversarial highly codified system such as ours, you need advocates to protect your rights. And the NFLPA has a case to be made on each side.

Well, yes, legally they have a foundation for recourse, and I suspect they'll pursue the course you laid out (though I think they'll lose since the NFL has clearly done their legal research before issuing these suspensions and obviously feel the evidence will hold up in court).

However, in the court of public opinion it looks extremely hypocritical, and the timing of Seau's tragedy only feeds that perception of hypocrisy.
Share 49ersWebzone