There are 183 users in the forums

NFL great Junior Seau dead?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
killing yourself is a cop out, I feel bad for his children. I cant imagine him resting in peace when he commited the ultimate sin. Sad that he didnt get help.

I doubt a mentally sound Junior Seau would run from anything. Obviously 20 years of NFL speed collisions damaged his brain and he no longer thought clearly. Your comment is weak, son.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Theswede:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
If this is confirmed as a suicide ( not a homicide made to appear as suicide) then f**k Seau. The poor little multi- Millionaire couldn't cope with being a wealthy celebrity in one of the most beautiful cities in the country? All because his ego couldn't stand not being cheered by milions on a weekly basis. Give me a break. Get some real problems a*****e! Hopefully he didn't leave any kids behind.

Worst. Post. Ever.

R.I.P Junior Seau

+ 1,000,000

May Junior find the peace he was desperately seeking

No need to go there. The situation is sad. He did leave kids behind and an ex wife and a current girlfriend and a mother and some other family.
Gary Plummer talked about Seau's death. This is a really eye-opening article. I was surprised to be surprised about the grade 1 concussion comments. I played HS football and had several of those. Can't imagine what the NFL is like. Mandatory counseling is interesting. Wonder if the NFL would consider it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_20542616/former-seau-teammate-gary-plummer-he-was-crying
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
killing yourself is a cop out, I feel bad for his children. I cant imagine him resting in peace when he commited the ultimate sin. Sad that he didnt get help.

Ultimate sin? Can't imagine him resting in peace? I feel very sorry. For you.

Someone who considers suicide to be a cop out has never faced it.
[ Edited by English on May 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM ]
I don't know if it was previously mentioned in this thread because I didnt read all 12 pages but I read Seau's restaurant is not going to show football games this upcoming season and they have been in talks with Applebees, Chili's, and TGI fridays CEO's who have expressed the same feelings that they may not air football games because of this.Not to take anything away from Seau or his family but I think its a huge overreaction by those companies to do that.

Its sad Seau went out like this because he seemed to be one of those polarizing good guys that loved football. Hopefully the research on his brain will help with preventing this type of thing happening in the future to other players.
If I were the NFL, I would be worried about the upcoming autopsy of Junior Seau's brain. If clear signs of concussions show up, which is very likely, things may turn bad for the NFL very quickly. The great player Seau was, the great individual he was, the way he went (saving his brain for examination), all this is going to play against the League. If you add to this the court actions that have been filed already for damages related to concussions, the future does not look bright for this great, but too violent, game.
I swear if they wuss this game out any more I am walking away as a fan forever.

I think many fans are being very very unrealistic. Making statements like...."the NFL needs to do more" "They need to ENSURE a healthy life for the players"

WTF !!!!!

How can you ENSURE anything? That is impossible in the first place. And the NFL does plenty, there is nothing more they can do.

Listen up NFL fans. These BS arguments are so much more meaningful when they come from people who refuse to watch the sport because of the violence. We are trying to have it both ways. Either accept the sport and all the risks involved or don't watch and participate.

I would vote for Football to be made illegal way before I would support any more responsibility be saddled with the league which will then in turn produce more commissioners like Roger Goodell
Originally posted by BobS:
I doubt a mentally sound Junior Seau would run from anything. Obviously 20 years of NFL speed collisions damaged his brain and he no longer thought clearly. Your comment is weak, son.
As if you know Junior personally, anyone that kills themselves cant be mentally sound. Its still a stupid decision to make. LOL @ u making it all about playing football, ever think he was feed up with not being a football player anymore. Some of the guys cant function in day to day real life. They get rich make too much money, spend it all when they realize they've wasted away everything they get shook and kill themselves.I think football's nearly the same as the military outside of the good money stuff, alot of military guys cant function outside of the military. My comment's not weak its just the way I feel about suicide, commit the ultimate sin and your soul will never rest in peace no matter how much crap you've went though in this world. I wish for his soul and his family's sake he would of gotten help.
Originally posted by danimal:
I swear if they wuss this game out any more I am walking away as a fan forever.

I think many fans are being very very unrealistic. Making statements like...."the NFL needs to do more" "They need to ENSURE a healthy life for the players"

WTF !!!!!

How can you ENSURE anything? That is impossible in the first place. And the NFL does plenty, there is nothing more they can do.

Listen up NFL fans. These BS arguments are so much more meaningful when they come from people who refuse to watch the sport because of the violence. We are trying to have it both ways. Either accept the sport and all the risks involved or don't watch and participate.

I would vote for Football to be made illegal way before I would support any more responsibility be saddled with the league which will then in turn produce more commissioners like Roger Goodell

i agree, your getting paid top dollar to put your body though a bunch of physical abuse but no one's making you do it. People are gravy trainers no matter what the topic is, just so happens head injuries are the current event. Its like a UFC fighter sueing the UFC because he got his arm broken in the octogon it doesnt make a lot of sense.
Originally posted by SwissNiner1255:
If I were the NFL, I would be worried about the upcoming autopsy of Junior Seau's brain. If clear signs of concussions show up, which is very likely, things may turn bad for the NFL very quickly. The great player Seau was, the great individual he was, the way he went (saving his brain for examination), all this is going to play against the League. If you add to this the court actions that have been filed already for damages related to concussions, the future does not look bright for this great, but too violent, game.

going into the NFL is voluntary. THey know the risks involved. If you don't want to get hurt, don't play. It's that simple. The nil will always win this action. It's not like they don't give people a choice. It's why these guys get paid so much money.

I really can't believe it was a suicide...I mean, shooting yourself in the chest? That just seems odd to me. Sounds more like a set up than anything...

If he was going to shoot himself in the chest, he would have to know...i'm not going to die instantly...i'm going to sit here and bleed and be in pain, and suffer remembering all the good things in life, and then regret that i just shot myself...

just seems humanly impossible...but, we don't know what was going on.

One thing is true. It is absolutely impossible for us to ever know what he was thinking, or what was going on, or what the intentions of his heart were. So..we can stop speculating on that and just see where the evidence leads us.

I'd normally agree with you guys regarding the idea that players should know the risks of playing in the NFL, but disagree in this case. Not too long ago, what we call a concussion today is what we would call "getting your bell rung", and you were a p***y if you didn't get back in the game. That mentality went from Pee Wee football all the way up to the NFL. Only recently have we gotten an idea of what the effect of "getting your bell rung" actually is, and we still don't really have an idea of what the cumulative impact of a bunch of small concussions is, which is why a study like the one that Seau's brain went to is important.

I don't feel bad for guys with bum ankles, knees, etc, because I feel like they understood what they were signing up for in that respect. I don't think the same is true about head injuries, and I still don't think we really know what the dangers are.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'd normally agree with you guys regarding the idea that players should know the risks of playing in the NFL, but disagree in this case. Not too long ago, what we call a concussion today is what we would call "getting your bell rung", and you were a p***y if you didn't get back in the game. That mentality went from Pee Wee football all the way up to the NFL. Only recently have we gotten an idea of what the effect of "getting your bell rung" actually is, and we still don't really have an idea of what the cumulative impact of a bunch of small concussions is, which is why a study like the one that Seau's brain went to is important.

I don't feel bad for guys with bum ankles, knees, etc, because I feel like they understood what they were signing up for in that respect. I don't think the same is true about head injuries, and I still don't think we really know what the dangers are.

I disagree with you. It is now well known in the sporting and healthcare industries that concussions can have long term health effects. I don't think that it can be argued otherwise. Players are made aware that they may suffer long term health conditions when they sign their contract.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on May 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM ]
There are many player and people who get concussion....

Of those people who have multiple/ many concussions how many of them commit suicide?

I doubt that percentage is any different than the General population percentage.

Basically the question would be do NFL players commit suicide at a higher rate than the rest of the general population...

I don't think it is significantly different.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Of those people who have multiple/ many concussions how many of them commit suicide?

I doubt that percentage is any different than the General population percentage.

Basically the question would be do NFL players commit suicide at a higher rate than the rest of the general population...

Sorry but this is pure assumption. It could have been written from the opposite viewpoint. Until the matter is scientifically researched, any conclusions are pure guesswork.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Sorry but this is pure assumption. It could have been written from the opposite viewpoint. Until the matter is scientifically researched, any conclusions are pure guesswork.

That would be my study design. Compare depression rates
Share 49ersWebzone