LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

**General NFL Discussion Thread**

Shop 49ers game tickets
Steelers OL mike Adams stabbed last night
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-wr-josh-gordon-suspended-205007703--nfl.html

More failure from the Browns, can't see their season starting out strong without their best WR. I wonder when that trainwreck will ever come to an end, I feel sorry for Browns fans.

Receiver Josh Gordon was suspended without pay for the first two games next season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the second year in a row that the Cleveland Browns will be missing a key player because of a drug-related punishment.

Gordon also was fined two additional game checks on Friday. He'll miss games against the Dolphins and defending Super Bowl-champion Ravens, and is eligible to return for a game against the Vikings.

Gordon said in a statement that he used cough medicine containing codeine - a banned substance - while recovering from strep throat in February. The league could have given him a four-game suspension.

''The policy terms are strict about unintentional ingestion, but the NFL has not imposed the maximum punishment in light of the facts of my case,'' Gordon said. ''Therefore, I have chosen to be immediately accountable for the situation. I sincerely apologize for the impact on my team, coaches, and Browns fans.''

It's the second year in a row that the Browns have a key player suspended early in the season. Cornerback Joe Haden was suspended four games last season for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances. Haden acknowledged taking the stimulant Adderall. The Browns lost their four games without him.

Gordon caught 50 passes as a rookie last season, developing into the Browns' best deep threat. He led the team with 805 yards receiving and five touchdowns.

The Browns selected him in the second round of the supplemental draft, taking a chance on a player who had major problems at Baylor. He was dismissed from the Bears after getting suspended twice for using marijuana. He transferred to Utah but didn't play there after failing another drug test.

Gordon will be able to practice with the team and play in the preseason games.

''Obviously, we are all disappointed in this news,'' coach Rob Chudzinski said. ''In our short time with Josh, he has done everything that we've asked him to do and he has exhibited substantial improvement.

''We believe that he will continue to work diligently through training camp and the preseason. I am confident that others will step up in his absence.''

Big blow to them. Luckily (kinda) it's two games that even with him they'd be lucky to split.

I actually think they could be a surprise team in the next couple years though. This dude can be very, very good. They have a real solid defense, Trent Richardson will be a stud and I think Weeden will be good.
Codeine is a banned substance? I have a bottle of cough syrup in my bathroom with that stuff. Nasty as hell. Cant imagine anyone wanting to drink that for a rush.

I'm glad the NFL cracks down on those that use drugs, PEDs, etc.... but codeine?

Maybe he should have said that the bottle was cracked, could have gotten off.
Still using a keeper spot on Gordon on my fantasy team.

He didn't play as a senior in college and somehow managed to lead the Browns in receiving yards as a rookie (50 catches, 805 yards, 5 td's).

This is definitely a set-back, but Gordon has been a hard worker as a pro thus far and seems to be heading in the right direction. Huge upside here!

Too bad the Niners didn't deem him worthy of a 2nd rounder in 2012.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Right. Because then instead of having a player who averaged almost 30 yards per kick off return and could turn into a more explosive version of Darren Sproles, they'd have a guy who's already been suspended for two games.
man, the browns are cursed. Some idiot on nfl.com ranked him ahead of crabtree. Fkn idiot.
Some Niner fans complain about Harbaugh. Some complain that Kaepernick wasn't able to finish out that last game successfully. Some worry about losing Goldson or that AJ Jenkins won't turn out to be a legitimate #1 receiver. Some complain about the fact that the new stadium is in Santa Clara. Some are not satisfied with Roman's play calling and some think we didn't draft the right guys over the last couple of years.

Just remember, Niner fans. You could be in Cleveland. You could be a Browns fan.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Right. Because then instead of having a player who averaged almost 30 yards per kick off return and could turn into a more explosive version of Darren Sproles, they'd have a guy who's already been suspended for two games.

True, but barring injury by the end of the season he'll still have played in more career games than James. I'm glad we have him and think he'll be great but Gordon will probably be in some pro bowls eventually.
Some Niner fans complain about Harbaugh. Some complain that Kaepernick wasn't able to finish out that last game successfully. Some worry about losing Goldson or that AJ Jenkins won't turn out to be a legitimate #1 receiver. Some complain about the fact that the new stadium is in Santa Clara. Some are not satisfied with Roman's play calling and some think we didn't draft the right guys over the last couple of years.

Just remember, Niner fans. You could be in Cleveland. You could be a Browns fan.

but..bu...bu...but, the browns have joe thomas, and Holgren.

Originally posted by btthepunk:
True, but barring injury by the end of the season he'll still have played in more career games than James. I'm glad we have him and think he'll be great but Gordon will probably be in some pro bowls eventually.

Right, but he plays for the Browns. It's a little harder to crack the lineup of a team like the Niners. I think if you give LaMichael James some time, he's actually going to be more of an impact player all around, but that's just a prediction.

Right, but he plays for the Browns. It's a little harder to crack the lineup of a team like the Niners. I think if you give LaMichael James some time, he's actually going to be more of an impact player all around, but that's just a prediction.

Believe me, I hope your prediction is right. I think James will be great for us too.
You are right though, Gordon probably would've gotten the AJ Jenkins treatment here last year. I think Jenkins would've done well in Cleveland.

no WR from Cleveland is going to be making the Pro Bowl anytime soon
The other thing about Gordon is that one more mistake and he's out for an entire year. Now, the Browns simply can't base future strategy around him because they could be completely ruined. He's put them in a very scary position. As usual, the Browns are screwed. I was talking to a group of Browns fans a couple of months ago on a wine tasting outing and they were funny. They were talking about how they could only imagine what it must be like to be a Niner fan. When I told them lots of Niner fans were notoriously dissatisfied with the state of their team, they were like "yeah, right, tell me another one."
Johnson, known as Chad Ochocinco for his jersey number in Spanish during his playing days, had reached a deal with prosecutors calling for community service and counseling instead of jail. Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh said she would tack on an additional three months' probation because Johnson had failed to meet with his probation officer during three previous months.

It was all set until Johnson, when asked by McHugh if he was satisfied with his lawyer Adam Swickle, gave the attorney a light swat on the rear -- as football players routinely do to each other on the field. The courtroom erupted in laughter and at that McHugh said she wouldn't accept the deal.

"I don't know that you're taking this whole thing seriously. I just saw you slap your attorney on the backside. Is there something funny about this?" McHugh said, slapping the plea deal document down on her desk. "The whole courtroom was laughing. I'm not going to accept these plea negotiations. This isn't a joke."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9360765/chad-johnson-serve-30-days-jail

lol thiiiis guy.
Share 49ersWebzone