LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Steelers continue the purge: Smith, Kemoeatu, Farrior to be released along with Ward

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Despite the reports that the steelers will not use the franchise tag on Mike Wallace the Steelers are apparently doing everything possible to get under the cap. According to Jason La Confora, long time DE Aaron Smith is reportedly the next to go after Hines Ward. His salary is only $2.1M but at he has only played in 15 games in the past 3 seasons and at 35 you have to wonder what impact he could have next season. If I'm not mistaken they would officially on the right side of the salary cap if they follow through with this idea.

Kemoeatu lost the starting gig mid season and could be brought back but I dont see the Steelers pursuing him, after watching this past season I thought he had become a liability.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/aaron-smith-is-the-next-steelers-veteran-to-get-cut/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/steelers-boot-kemoeatu-too/

James Farrior was cut this morning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/james-farrior-is-the-next-veteran-steeler-to-go/
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
La Canfora reported it, so he is probably getting a 4 year extension.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
La Canfora reported it, so he is probably getting a 4 year extension.

I know right, hate that idiot. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith comes back later in the off season for the partial guarantee of $495K rather then the $925K veteran minimum if they restructured his deal. They suggested that Ward could do the same thing but its not likely because he cant contribute on special teams, Smith on the other hand is basically their Justin Smith(when healthy) and I could see them bringing him back for dirt cheap.

Also James Ferrior's agent has gone public that he thinks Ferrior could be cut in an effort to free up cap space. Why does it look like the Steelers are cutting players before giving them a chance to take a cut???
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
another Smith? Bring him in.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
another Smith? Bring him in.

Where would he play? We're stacked.
[ Edited by niners94 on Mar 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
I know right, hate that idiot. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith comes back later in the off season for the partial guarantee of $495K rather then the $925K veteran minimum if they restructured his deal. They suggested that Ward could do the same thing but its not likely because he cant contribute on special teams, Smith on the other hand is basically their Justin Smith(when healthy) and I could see them bringing him back for dirt cheap.

Also James Ferrior's agent has gone public that he thinks Ferrior could be cut in an effort to free up cap space. Why does it look like the Steelers are cutting players before giving them a chance to take a cut???

No one is on any teams Justin Smith except Nata for the Ravens. He's more of their Ray McDonald but slow
  • sfout
  • Veteran
No one is on any teams Justin Smith except Nata for the Ravens. He's more of their Ray McDonald but slow

lolz true true.
They are screwed. What hurts them is when they redid those deals of Ben, Woodley, Taylor, etc.. They added so much money into 2013 and beynd. They added 8M more for Ben when he reduced his salary by over 8M.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
They are screwed. What hurts them is when they redid those deals of Ben, Woodley, Taylor, etc.. They added so much money into 2013 and beynd. They added 8M more for Ben when he reduced his salary by over 8M.

IMO this is their version of "The Great Salary Cap Purge" of 9er lore. If they lose Wallace to an RFA offersheet they will have their backs against the wall to extend Antonio Bryant or they could slide back to the pre-Big Ben days and be another mediocre team again.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

I agree, theyre basically pushing their problem from this year to the next couple of years

• sfout
  • Veteran

I agree, theyre basically pushing their problem from this year to the next couple of years

really dont want to waste another thread on it but the Steelers just cut G Chris Kemoeatu as well.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Cutting a bunch of old peoples
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Sign everybody's cast offs!!

They were good in 2007!
Originally posted by sfout:

IMO this is their version of "The Great Salary Cap Purge" of 9er lore. If they lose Wallace to an RFA offersheet they will have their backs against the wall to extend Antonio Bryant or they could slide back to the pre-Big Ben days and be another mediocre team again.

Yep, they need to create as much cap space as possible to keep their good wr's.

Yep, they are hurting themselves big time. Same said about what Oakland does, they are 19M over, might be more since Branch was tagged
Share 49ersWebzone